Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2012, 02:16 PM   #16
HerolGee
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3,701
vCash: 500
Default Re: Joe Calzaghe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyboyEs***UK View Post
lol just putting my point across, as i think calzaghe is unfairly judged in many ways.

Let me tell you something just by the responses ive had on here from people who may have the same view point concerning calzaghe, You and Herol gee come out with ignorant crap, whilst people like Loudon and Knockout Arstist come out with constructive critisism theres a big difference.
Unfair towards me, seeing as I reflect Loudon's views. I've only pointed to Zaghes real ATG abilties and never pretend hes good at everything, whereas you invent his abilties. Perhaps you define real facts as crap, but thats your perogative.

But I can see why you are trying to divide and conquer.

Sorry if you are offended by my distaste at your invention of facts, Ididnt mean to offend you. I am not trying to veto your posting, please do carry on with the fanzine.
HerolGee is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2012, 02:23 PM   #17
bald_head_slick
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: In the ring with you impossible to drop
Posts: 13,748
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joe Calzaghe

He got dropped by washed up versions of REAL champions and quit right before a new champion emerged.

Joe is Joe.
bald_head_slick is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:24 PM   #18
DaveyboyEssexUK
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 2,496
vCash: 500
Default Re: Joe Calzaghe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerolGee View Post
Unfair towards me, seeing as I reflect Loudon's views. I've only pointed to Zaghes real ATG abilties. You've invented them.

But I can see why you are trying to divide and conquer.
no not divide and conquer, just giving respect where due, the way you put things across and react etc

Invented? no i just see things differently to you , no need to get in a pickle cos you see it differently to me
DaveyboyEssexUK is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:32 PM   #19
HerolGee
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3,701
vCash: 500
Default Re: Joe Calzaghe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyboyEs***UK View Post
no not divide and conquer, just giving respect where due, the way you put things across and react etc

Invented? no i just see things differently to you , no need to get in a pickle cos you see it differently to me
me get in a pickle mhuhah? Nope, seeing as it was ME who is apologising to you for causing YOUR outburst, then its your pickle. Yours is the first pickle on this thread without a doubt.

but yeah I see the pattern of reversing meaning developing in your posts.

Once again, sorry for any offence caused in laughing off the fiction in your post ('Calzaghe has an excellent jab!'), it was unwarranted to do so when this is a fanforum, not a fact forum, so please carry on.
HerolGee is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:19 PM   #20
MAJR
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,180
vCash: 789
Default Re: Joe Calzaghe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerolGee View Post
Le Tiss, only football player I have heard of better than Alan Shearer for taking penalties. 50 taken, 50 goals.

Le Tiss, who scores goals from corner kicks. Freakish skill level. Calzaghe was often outskilled so he is hardly a Le Tissier. Toney is more a Le Tiss.

I would add though that Matt Le Tit isnt all golden, he was a ball greedy cnut in his time at Southampton. Joe Calzaghe is not a twat like that.
Toney's more a Gascoigne, very talented in his day but dwindled with age and now is considered a sad figure of the man he once was and kind of insane.
MAJR is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:59 PM   #21
HerolGee
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3,701
vCash: 500
Default Re: Joe Calzaghe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJR View Post
Toney's more a Gascoigne, very talented in his day but dwindled with age and now is considered a sad figure of the man he once was and kind of insane.
oohh, thats a bit far even for Fat Toney. I'm suprised Gazza is still alive, that poor monkey.
HerolGee is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:27 PM   #22
theboy_racer
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Scotland
Posts: 4,443
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joe Calzaghe

Eubank was well past his peak when he fought Joe, it's just Eubank is so good that even a faded Eubank was a threat to anyone, as he proved when he moved upto fight Carl Thompson twice.

Still i agree, Calzaghe was World Class and would be #1 in his division if near his prime right now.
theboy_racer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:21 PM   #23
DaveyboyEssexUK
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 2,496
vCash: 500
Default Re: Joe Calzaghe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerolGee View Post
me get in a pickle mhuhah? Nope, seeing as it was ME who is apologising to you for causing YOUR outburst, then its your pickle. Yours is the first pickle on this thread without a doubt.

but yeah I see the pattern of reversing meaning developing in your posts.

Once again, sorry for any offence caused in laughing off the fiction in your post ('Calzaghe has an excellent jab!'), it was unwarranted to do so when this is a fanforum, not a fact forum, so please carry on.
You can laugh all you want dude, btw i dont recall writing that he had an excellent jab i wrote his confidence was. Skill wise he was good in all areas , except defense, but that was mainly due to his confidence. His jab was good. Please name one skill set where Calzaghe wasnt good in his prime and explain.....
DaveyboyEssexUK is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:30 PM   #24
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: England
Posts: 12,884
vCash: 84
Default Re: Joe Calzaghe

Fantastic thread Davey.
bailey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:35 PM   #25
DaveyboyEssexUK
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 2,496
vCash: 500
Default Re: Joe Calzaghe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
Fantastic thread Davey.
Hi mate , cheers
DaveyboyEssexUK is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:35 PM   #26
HerolGee
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3,701
vCash: 500
Default Re: Joe Calzaghe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyboyEs***UK View Post
You can laugh all you want dude, btw i dont

ok your 2nd sentence (or was it 3rd sentence? I'm not scrolling back now) in the original post was ambiguous. It reads to claim the jab was top notch. Apologies if thats not what you meant. He doesnt have a bad jab but its nowhere near great.

Dont worry, I dont laugh if it hurts people. I'm not like that. I'd prefer to laugh with you.
HerolGee is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:36 PM   #27
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: England
Posts: 12,884
vCash: 84
Default Re: Joe Calzaghe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bald_head_dick View Post
He got dropped by washed up versions of REAL champions and quit right before a new champion emerged.

Joe is Joe.

So was Hopkins terrible for being put down twice by Mercado then as you call him a real champ, or when he was lying on the floor after Echoles landed one on him only not to be counted, or when Hopkins was on the floor holding his shoulder. Or when Hopkins took a fall out the ring when things got tough with Allen?
What about when Jones got put down by Del Valle? Girard didnt go down against Del Valle, so does that make him better than Jones in your opinion?

Fact is Calzaghe unlike those 2 never did the chicken dance, never had to hold to survive.

Look at a fighter like Dawson who is LHW champ. He has been down more in his pro career than Calzaghe ever did amateur or pro.

Who was this new champion you mention?
bailey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:37 PM   #28
DaveyboyEssexUK
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 2,496
vCash: 500
Default Re: Joe Calzaghe

[quote=HerolGee;14084361]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyboyEs***UK View Post
You can laugh all you want dude, btw i dont quote]


ok your 2nd sentence was ambivalent. It reads to claim the jab was top notch. Apologies if thats not what you meant.
Ok dude
DaveyboyEssexUK is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:55 PM   #29
Mind Reader
RIP Captain Phil
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 5,822
vCash: 760
Default Re: Joe Calzaghe

Joe Calzaghe was an all time great fighter IMO.. I am sure many would criticize me for saying that, but when you combine his longevity, natural ability, effective aggression for a full 12 rounds, greatest at his primary weight class, and he does have some quality wins...... How could he not be ATG?

Now, I do also realize his career was very carefully managed, more than most other ATG's. Calzaghe didn't take quite as many risks as I would have liked to see, and I wish he would have done more to get a fight with Roy Jones when they were both elite fighters.. But the same could be said of most...

I can for sure appreciate what he did as a fighter though..
Mind Reader is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:13 PM   #30
Maximus
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,435
vCash: 505
Default Re: Joe Calzaghe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind Reader View Post
Joe Calzaghe was an all time great fighter IMO.. I am sure many would criticize me for saying that, but when you combine his longevity, natural ability, effective aggression for a full 12 rounds, greatest at his primary weight class, and he does have some quality wins...... How could he not be ATG?

Now, I do also realize his career was very carefully managed, more than most other ATG's. Calzaghe didn't take quite as many risks as I would have liked to see, and I wish he would have done more to get a fight with Roy Jones when they were both elite fighters.. But the same could be said of most...

I can for sure appreciate what he did as a fighter though..
^^^ Pretty much what I think. Joe had ATG skills (if a little unconventional), ATG stamina, a great chin and beat everyone he faced. H2H he was a monster just on work-rate alone, which is where the critics usually come in and say he should have lost to Reid, which I can sympathise with but every fighter has a debatable win on their record.

That said, he was happy to take the money and not really challenge himself. I have Froch way ahead of him on resume, even though I believe Joe would have Lacy'd him at any point in their careers. A shame really, he could have been an ATG if he'd dumped ***** earlier.
Maximus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013