Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 10-28-2012, 10:36 AM   #1
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Ricky Burns and the other top lightweights.

I don't have time to follow up but I thought I'd throw this out there.

Buncey said fairly emphatically last night that Broner and DeMarco were fighting with the winner taking on Ricky(actually said 'for the right to fight RB' but that's laughable)
Does this mean that there's something in place?

Also,there was nothing about Vasquez last night that particularly concerned me.His recent resume is no stronger than Ricky's.
Surely F-Wank could tempt him if the purse bid for Vasquez' mandatory was only $50k?

I'll get back to this later.Thanks for looking guys.
PityTheFool is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2012, 10:45 AM   #2
Clint Eastwood
Do You Feel Lucky, Punk?!
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Ricky Burns and the other top lightweights.

I seriously can't see any of these fights happening. I think Ricky has made it clear he wants there fights but Frank is happy with him defending against other fighters in his stable.
Clint Eastwood is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 10:48 AM   #3
Scotty321
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Liam Walsh
Jose Gonzales
John Murray
Kirk Goodings

Move to 140 lbs
Scotty321 is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 10:55 AM   #4
Clint Eastwood
Do You Feel Lucky, Punk?!
ESB Full Member

Frank must have a connection with Martinez, Couldn't Walsh have fought Martinez for the 130 belt? and then have the fight with Burns after a couple of defenses?

Also i seriously think that after this fight Burns will still probably fight Scott Harrison LOL
Clint Eastwood is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 11:15 AM   #5
Bellewlovechild
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

some good fights ahead for ricky

prob best to avoid Gavin rees but certainly winnable fights with John Murray, Martin Gethin, Ant Crolla or Derry Matthews.
Bellewlovechild is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 11:25 AM   #6
rossco666
Contender
ESB Senior Member

im pretty confident were going to see burns in a unification fight next year but im not confident its going to be after walsh.
burns will beat walsh easily imo, thats no disrespect to walsh, he's a real good tough fighter, he just dont have the skills to beat ricky or the defence plus its to early for him. it realy is a joke world title fight. i was hoping for a walsh vs john simpson fight at superfeather. i think that would have been a war. its a pitty walsh moved up.
rossco666 is online now  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 11:42 AM   #7
craney91
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Dunno what the fuss is about with Ricky Burns, 1 in every 5 thread seems to be about him. What has he done and what is he doing at Lightweight? Like somebody else said, it'll be Walsh and then more than likely Scott Harrison, before they even think about going over to America and even then, it'll probably be a teaser.

Bigger money fights for the likes of Broner, De Marco, Abril and Vazquez, the money fights will come before Ricky "nobody" Burns. That might get peoples knickers in a twist, buts it the truth.

Ricky is a nobody in America, no pull whatsoever. Compare it to the likes of Ricky Hatton when he first crossed over, they knew who he was and he generated money, he was relevant and he had appeal. The fights virtually made them self.

Whereas Ricky Burns has got to fight his way into that and prove that he is something to be reckoned with in the ring. He's got to keep winning against top opposition at lightweight, to make fights almost unavoidable.

Fighting Liam Walsh does NOTHING for Ricky Burns, nor does it make a Broner fight next.

Hopefully the rumors are true, and that is the next fight, but I can't see it myself, Broner will get the win over De Marco and be looking around with his team for the money fights in Vegas. There is a cue before Ricky Burns.
craney91 is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 11:52 AM   #8
rossco666
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craney91 View Post
Dunno what the fuss is about with Ricky Burns, 1 in every 5 thread seems to be about him. What has he done and what is he doing at Lightweight? Like somebody else said, it'll be Walsh and then more than likely Scott Harrison, before they even think about going over to America and even then, it'll probably be a teaser.

Bigger money fights for the likes of Broner, De Marco, Abril and Vazquez, the money fights will come before Ricky "nobody" Burns. That might get peoples knickers in a twist, buts it the truth.

Ricky is a nobody in America, no pull whatsoever. Compare it to the likes of Ricky Hatton when he first crossed over, they knew who he was and he generated money, he was relevant and he had appeal. The fights virtually made them self.

Whereas Ricky Burns has got to fight his way into that and prove that he is something to be reckoned with in the ring. He's got to keep winning against top opposition at lightweight, to make fights almost unavoidable.

Fighting Liam Walsh does NOTHING for Ricky Burns, nor does it make a Broner fight next.

Hopefully the rumors are true, and that is the next fight, but I can't see it myself, Broner will get the win over De Marco and be looking around with his team for the money fights in Vegas. There is a cue before Ricky Burns.

pull the other one craney, you love these ricky burns threads!
i cant help but find you really irritating, even if you have posted some sense in past posts! [rare]

Last edited by rossco666; 10-28-2012 at 03:05 PM.
rossco666 is online now  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 11:53 AM   #9
supremo
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:

Fighting Liam Walsh does NOTHING for Ricky Burns,
Does he not get paid like?
supremo is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 11:56 AM   #10
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

I fancy Burns to stop Vasquez if his defence is as loose as it was last night. Ricky wouldn't have much to fear IMO. I'd be pursuing that fight big time! after Vasquez faces Gesta.
SkillspayBills is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 12:14 PM   #11
skoorydookatron
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1768

Quote:

And if he doesn't ?

Its hardly a given.
skoorydookatron is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 12:23 PM   #12
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:

You know myself and others have expressed our disappointment at the Walsh fight Craney,so try and stay on subject here.
How do you feel Vasquez' resume since he won the title stands up against Ricky's.
Would you say it's vastly superior?
And as I said,I only mentioned Broner/DeMarco because Buncey said the winner would fight Burns.I'm not saying it's a given,but would you say Buncey would have at least a smidgeon of an inside track.
And since you're such a fan of repeating yourself,I'll have to do the same again
Did you see anything in Vasquez last night to suggest he's light years ahead of Ricky?
PityTheFool is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 02:09 PM   #13
Scotty321
Champion
East Side Guru

Sure Ricky is miles away from a fighting Broner. It took Macklin, Barker, Murray years to build to a status before they got to fight on HBO...
Scotty321 is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 02:20 PM   #14
Peter__1987

vCash:

Ricky is good enough for a BIG step up in class, said it for ages, that guy is a splendid boxer with terrific workrate. I'd LOVE to see the fallout on here after he gives Broner a boxing lesson. it'd be almost as good as Lacy-Calzaghe.....almost.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:21 PM   #15
craney91
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I don't think much of Broner, Vazquez, Abril or De Marco, and Ricky Burns is clearly very talented, his improvement has been sensational, no getting away from it. He is a very good fighter, and if anybody should be fighting De Marco next, its Ricky Burns, NOT Adrien Broner.

But we all know why he isn't, part of it is down to W-arren, part of it is down to Ricky being a nobody in America. Those 4 fighters mentioned may not be anything special, but they are the money men in the division, and thats what boxing is now, money.

The fights that make the most money, will always be preferred to the ones between 2 very very good boxers. We've seen this with Andre Ward and Carl Froch. 2 great fighters, but it didnt sell well. So if you can get 2 very good fighters AND make money, its win-win. But its all about the money fights, this is prizefighting, why do you think Mayweather doesn't bother unless they talk big money!?!

This isn't about the ability of Ricky Burns, or the other fighters mentioned, this is about money and popularity. Ricky has neither in America, and considering this is where he will have to go, he may have to have a couple of fights in America on under cards against top 20 opposition, just to get noticed. If he wins those fights, then top 5 fights make them self, not only will he be improving with the experience of fighting in America, all be it on undercards, he'll be getting attention and exposure, to the point where, if he wins these fights and the top 5 still overlook him, they will be seen as ducking him because of his ability, so one way or another, the fights have to be made, because if not, it wont sit on Ricky's door, but at the likes of Broner, De Marco, Abril and Vazquez's.

Ricky doesn't have pull in America, so if he is going to get there, he is going to have to fight for everything to deserve his place......this isn't Ricky Hatton.....
craney91 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum