Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2012, 02:09 PM   #1
OMGWTF
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 353
vCash: 535
Default How do you "sit" on a punch? What is punch "leverage"? How do you transfer weight?

People are always talking about punching power and about leverage, what exactly do they mean by leverage? Can you explain it?

How exactly do you sit down on a punch? I make like a subtle sitting down motion when I punch/try it but im not sure if Im doing it right or not!?

Lastly Should you have all your weight on the front foot when you pivot for a left hook, and then all your weight on the right foot as you pivot for the right cross? Should the weight transfer from the pivot only or is very slight leaning over one foot or the other foot involved as well? Its just when I try to pivot on my foot and it has all my body-weight on it it greatly slows down the pivot and therefore the punch because of all the friction on the ball of the foot.
OMGWTF is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2012, 02:40 PM   #2
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,716
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How do you "sit" on a punch? What is punch "leverage"? How do you transfer weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGWTF View Post
People are always talking about punching power and about leverage, what exactly do they mean by leverage? Can you explain it?

How exactly do you sit down on a punch? I make like a subtle sitting down motion when I punch/try it but im not sure if Im doing it right or not!?

Lastly Should you have all your weight on the front foot when you pivot for a left hook, and then all your weight on the right foot as you pivot for the right cross? Should the weight transfer from the pivot only or is very slight leaning over one foot or the other foot involved as well? Its just when I try to pivot on my foot and it has all my body-weight on it it greatly slows down the pivot and therefore the punch because of all the friction on the ball of the foot.
Great question I shall return
scrap is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:03 PM   #3
RichC
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 245
vCash: 500
Default Re: How do you "sit" on a punch? What is punch "leverage"? How do you transfer weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGWTF View Post

How exactly do you sit down on a punch? I make like a subtle sitting down motion when I punch/try it but im not sure if Im doing it right or not!?
"Sitting down" on your shots basically refers to dropping your hips downward whilst rotating. The easiest way to do this is to simply allow the legs to bend. To start with, try bending the opposite leg to the arm you are intending to hit with i.e. if throwing the rear hand, let your front leg bend at the knee. Your hips (and thus body weight) will drop whilst rotating thus planting your feet to the ground.
RichC is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:19 PM   #4
flydog
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 89
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How do you "sit" on a punch? What is punch "leverage"? How do you transfer weight

'sitting down on your punches' refers to planting your feet and creating a solid base from which to throw your shots. You can't generate serious power bouncing on your toes the way the amateurs do. Pro's tend to 'walk' around the ring, get themselves into range, plant their feet and let their hands go. When you're punching you can't be stiff legged. Your knees need to be bent so your whole body can move/rotate with the punch thus generating greater power. 'Arm' punches are when the rest of the body is not used. They will score but not do damage. Power comes from the floor up so once you utilise your hips and knees then you'll start to inflict damage!! Hope that helps a little!...
flydog is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #5
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: I'm not your buddy, pal.
Posts: 6,581
vCash: 202
Default Re: How do you "sit" on a punch? What is punch "leverage"? How do you transfer weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
"Sitting down" on your shots basically refers to dropping your hips downward whilst rotating. The easiest way to do this is to simply allow the legs to bend. To start with, try bending the opposite leg to the arm you are intending to hit with i.e. if throwing the rear hand, let your front leg bend at the knee. Your hips (and thus body weight) will drop whilst rotating thus planting your feet to the ground.
That sounds like a pretty good description IMO. A man who does this well (visibly) is Nonito Donaire.
RDJ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:41 PM   #6
gatto
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 365
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How do you "sit" on a punch? What is punch "leverage"? How do you transfer weight

Drop your weight before landing*
gatto is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:24 AM   #7
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,716
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How do you "sit" on a punch? What is punch "leverage"? How do you transfer weight

Force you generate comes of the Floor, with the knees bent between 10% and 15%. A little tip, when throwing shots lift the Toes, stops the Heel lifting to much. Gives a better drive, rather than Push.
scrap is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:50 PM   #8
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,716
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How do you "sit" on a punch? What is punch "leverage"? How do you transfer weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by learner View Post
Lift toes on both feet or the foot that is driving the shot? Interesting. So you want us to try being directly on the balls of our feet when punching. Better and easier to swivel and pivot? Thanks
Better to correct, and protects the Knee.
scrap is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:11 PM   #9
democritus2k
newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 0
vCash: 500
Default Re: How do you "sit" on a punch? What is punch "leverage"? How do you transfer weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
That sounds like a pretty good description IMO. A man who does this well (visibly) is Nonito Donaire.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

My ribs felt those hooks just watching the video. Ouch.
democritus2k is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:31 PM   #10
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,716
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How do you "sit" on a punch? What is punch "leverage"? How do you transfer weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by learner View Post
Show me.
Meaning
scrap is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:35 PM   #11
Ricky42791
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 933
vCash: 2835
Default Re: How do you "sit" on a punch? What is punch "leverage"? How do you transfer weight

If you're standing straight up throwing a left hook to an opponents head and then throw the same punch with your knees bent slightly its like night and day, whole different torque your feet are planted your hips and shoulders can get much more torque on shots (feet being planted does not mean you cant pivot)
Ricky42791 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:26 PM   #12
dissipate
newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1
vCash: 500
Default Re: How do you "sit" on a punch? What is punch "leverage"? How do you transfer weight

Sorry to jump in on this. What is the best method of remembering how to transfer your weight and swivel when doing combinations (eg. double left hook) so that you do not even have to think about it? I am a one-week boxing newbie and find myself having to pause, think and try before being able to do a combination with proper weight transfer, and when we did some light sparring my footwork went to crap :S
dissipate is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:32 PM   #13
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: North East, England.
Posts: 1,093
vCash: 1947
Default Re: How do you "sit" on a punch? What is punch "leverage"? How do you transfer weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissipate View Post
Sorry to jump in on this. What is the best method of remembering how to transfer your weight and swivel when doing combinations (eg. double left hook) so that you do not even have to think about it? I am a one-week boxing newbie and find myself having to pause, think and try before being able to do a combination with proper weight transfer, and when we did some light sparring my footwork went to crap :S
It will come with time, or more specifically repition. You say yourself that you are a 'newbie', it will come
Jdsm is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:14 PM   #14
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,716
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How do you "sit" on a punch? What is punch "leverage"? How do you transfer weight

Taller Guy, sitting down to a Shorter Guy for Leverage [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qtlt7T8FKJk&feature=relmfu[/ame]
scrap is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:32 PM   #15
cambay411
newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 48
vCash: 500
Default Re: How do you "sit" on a punch? What is punch "leverage"? How do you transfer weight

When you throw a punch you turn your hips into it and keep good balance. If your throwing with your rear hand you twist your rear foot in a "putting out a cigarette" or "killing a bug" type motion. This motion helps you turn your hips over more and generate power. You also turn your shoulders into the punch.


The term "Not sitting on your punches" means someone isnt putting there body into there punch and only throwing slap punches or arm punches. When you turn your body into a punch as stated above your body will slightly drop due to the turning motion hench the term "sitting on your punches".

Stand straight up and pretend your swatting at a fly (or swat at a real fly if you want lol) and only move your arm. This would be an example of and arm punch aka not sitting on your punches.
cambay411 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013