Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: If you were Joe Calzaghe will you come out of retirement to fight Ward
Yes 78 19.40%
no 324 80.60%
Voters: 402. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-28-2012, 12:13 PM   #451
Lance_Uppercut
ESKIMO
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: If YOU were Joe Calzaghe, would you come out of retirement to fight Andre Ward?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind Reader View Post
Where has Team Elite been? I haven't seen them much lately.
Training new members..
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Lance_Uppercut is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2012, 12:15 PM   #452
1_man_army
The Knockout King
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1883
Default Re: If YOU were Joe Calzaghe, would you come out of retirement to fight Andre Ward?

Calzaghe has been out of the game too long to compete with Ward at this point and Ward doesn't generate enough money to lure Calzaghe back into the ring either.
1_man_army is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 01:00 PM   #453
Mind Reader
RIP Captain Phil
East Side Guru

vCash: 760

e
Quote:
Originally Posted by general zod View Post
Welcome to Bailey world

Where beating an orthodox fighter, who beat a southpaw, is the same thing as beating a southpaw

I would have loved to see Joe test himself against an elite southpaw... Tarver in 04 after the KO of Jones would have been a great time... Tarver had a huge name, would have been a great way for Joe to make a name for himself in America..

But I guess since Hopkins would later beat Tarver(poison aside, the worst Tarver I had ever seen), and Joe would later edge Hopkins, that negates that interesting clash of styles between Calzaghe and Tarver.
Mind Reader is online now  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 01:21 PM   #454
knockout artist
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2666

Quote:
e

I would have loved to see Joe test himself against an elite southpaw... Tarver in 04 after the KO of Jones would have been a great time... Tarver had a huge name, would have been a great way for Joe to make a name for himself in America..

But I guess since Hopkins would later beat Tarver(poison aside, the worst Tarver I had ever seen), and Joe would later edge Hopkins, that negates that interesting clash of styles between Calzaghe and Tarver.

I don't think Tarver would have fought him. He lost his title to Johnson and had to go through a rematch, whilst trying to get the rubber match with Jones. Not long after he lost to Hopkins and the rest is history

Quote:
But that match has moved closer after Tarver poured cold water on any hopes Lacy may have on facing his American compatriot anytime soon - unless a huge pay-day is offered.

"They need to be talking $6m. If they ain't, what are they calling my name out for?" said Tarver, who is to have a leading role in Sylvester Stallone's latest Rocky movie.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Look at how much Tarver wanted to face Lacy, when Lacy was a big name at the time.

When Joe moved up to the LHW division, he took on the champ and that was Hopkins, who dethroned Tarver. If Tarver was the LHW champ, then that would have been the fight for Joe to make.

It's one thing to drum up a list of names, but you can't accuse Calzaghe every time, we know boxing is business and it doesn't work like that
knockout artist is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 03:50 PM   #455
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 355

Quote:
Fight fans did not want Calzaghe-Jones, which is why the fight flopped

Keep repeating that, maybe you will be able to convince others to believe it as well
At the time it was a far bigger fight than Hopkins/Pavlik

I remember an interview where Hopkins was being asked about Calzaghe/Jones and spent the whole time trying to get people to talk about his fight which had little interest as Hopkins was coming off a loss and Pavlik a MW.
Calzaghe/Jones was the champ taking on the #6 who was a former top LHW where many expected him to win

Quote:
Welcome to Bailey world

Where beating an orthodox fighter, who beat a southpaw, is the same thing as beating a southpaw

Point was that every fighter you mentioned had been beaten and schooled badly (except for Dawson who went up a division and didnt take the chance) and Calzaghe beat the fighter who beat the fighter.

Better than Zods agenda world where he tries to big up Tarver who went
Loss to Jones
Win against Jones
Loss to Johnson
win against Johnson
win against Jones
loss to Stallone
Loss to Hopkins

With all the rematch clauses and and losses in there you make out Calzaghe ducked him and that he was a available all that time

Or the real ******* you pulled in that Vanderpool was a big legit challenge for Calzaghe

Zod, on your tier catagory of fighters I bet you will come out with something amusing like Vanderpool was a better SMW than Lacy
bailey is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 03:51 PM   #456
CarlesX7
Shit got real!
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_man_army View Post
Calzaghe has been out of the game too long to compete with Ward at this point and Ward doesn't generate enough money to lure Calzaghe back into the ring either.
Very well put.

He would probably lose, and I'm not sure it would be very marketable fight.
CarlesX7 is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 04:13 PM   #457
Mind Reader
RIP Captain Phil
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
At the time it was a far bigger fight than Hopkins/Pavlik

I remember an interview where Hopkins was being asked about Calzaghe/Jones and spent the whole time trying to get people to talk about his fight which had little interest as Hopkins was coming off a loss and Pavlik a MW.
Calzaghe/Jones was the champ taking on the #6 who was a former top LHW where many expected him to win

Point was that every fighter you mentioned had been beaten and schooled badly (except for Dawson who went up a division and didnt take the chance) and Calzaghe beat the fighter who beat the fighter.

Better than Zods agenda world where he tries to big up Tarver who went
Loss to Jones
Win against Jones
Loss to Johnson
win against Johnson
win against Jones
loss to Stallone
Loss to Hopkins

With all the rematch clauses and and losses in there you make out Calzaghe ducked him and that he was a available all that time

Or the real ******* you pulled in that Vanderpool was a big legit challenge for Calzaghe

Zod, on your tier catagory of fighters I bet you will come out with something amusing like Vanderpool was a better SMW than Lacy

Why would it matter who Tarver lost to??? It is reported that Joe didn't fancy fighting other southpaws.. beating an orthodox fighter who beat a southpaw doesn't mean the southpaw would beat the southpaw necessarily... Styles make fights...

I think that is the point Zod is making. which I agree with.

For the record, I also had Tarver vs. Johnson I 8-4 for Tarver I believe... I remember thinking it was not a robbery, but a very clear win for Tarver.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #458
Mind Reader
RIP Captain Phil
East Side Guru

Bailey,

Can you at least admit, that Calzaghe vs. Tarver, after the Jones KO, before the Johnson fight, would have been intriguing?

Or do you dismiss it as impossible for Tarver to win because of what would happen later with Hopkins?

Like KO said above... There may not have been much of a chance for it anyway, since Tarver expected he would be facing Roy again in the very near future.. But I would have loved to see Calzaghe call his name . Tarver was seen as very dangerous then. And would have been a good legacy fight, for Joe to move up, and beat the man who knocked out Jones.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:31 PM   #459
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

[quote]
Quote:
Why would it matter who Tarver lost to???
It doesnt except the point was that it is forgotten that Calzaghe took on the fighter that schooled Tarver
Quote:
It is reported that Joe didn't fancy fighting other southpaws..
Where has that been reported?
What top southpaws were there? The ones noted all got beat and Calzaghe beat then fighters who beat them.
Where was this reported that Calzaghe didnt fancy fighting southpaws .
You are making that up
Quote:
beating an orthodox fighter who beat a southpaw doesn't mean the southpaw would beat the southpaw necessarily... Styles make fights...
So once again, who was there that was big money willing and able because when you say Vanderpool its hard to take you serious and with Tarver he was losing as many as winning at that time and having to go through rematch after rematch
Quote:
For the record, I also had Tarver vs. Johnson I 8-4 for Tarver I believe... I remember thinking it was not a robbery, but a very clear win for Tarver.
And??? Tarver had to go through with a rematch, but if that fight had of happend, you and Zod would be saying Calzaghe took on the loser rather than the winner.
Point that you two have to live with is that when Zod put up the names, Calzaghe for most of those had beat the man that beat them
bailey is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 04:36 PM   #460
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Bailey,

Can you at least admit, that Calzaghe vs. Tarver, after the Jones KO, before the Johnson fight, would have been intriguing?

Or do you dismiss it as impossible for Tarver to win because of what would happen later with Hopkins?

Like KO said above... There may not have been much of a chance for it anyway, since Tarver expected he would be facing Roy again in the very near future.. But I would have loved to see Calzaghe call his name . Tarver was seen as very dangerous then. And would have been a good legacy fight, for Joe to move up, and beat the man who knocked out Jones.
You say intriguing now, but forget that you dont rate calzaghes win over Jones, yet Tarver losing to the worst weight drained version of Jones straight from HW would make for an intriguing opponent.
It would have been interesting but at that time Lacy and Kessler were starting to become faces at SMW and Calzaghe was looking to clear up where he had been avoided before
bailey is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #461
Mind Reader
RIP Captain Phil
East Side Guru

[quote=bailey;14090079]
Quote:
It doesnt except the point was that it is forgotten that Calzaghe took on the fighter that schooled Tarver
Where has that been reported?
What top southpaws were there? The ones noted all got beat and Calzaghe beat then fighters who beat them.
Where was this reported that Calzaghe didnt fancy fighting southpaws .
You are making that up
So once again, who was there that was big money willing and able because when you say Vanderpool its hard to take you serious and with Tarver he was losing as many as winning at that time and having to go through rematch after rematch
And??? Tarver had to go through with a rematch, but if that fight had of happend, you and Zod would be saying Calzaghe took on the loser rather than the winner.
Point that you two have to live with is that when Zod put up the names, Calzaghe for most of those had beat the man that beat them

I actually didn't make it up.. It was in an article posted by Zod.. Why would I make it up?

I never said anything about Vanderpool, that is between you and Zod..

If you read carefully I am not accusing Joe of ducking anyone, but just saying that I think Tarver would have been interesting, being as Joe didn't like other southpaws, and we never saw him in against an elite one.

I do find it interesting that there were no good southpaws for Joe to fight.. How do you go an entire professional boxing career without facing a good southpaw... that means one or two things to me..

a. the career was carefully managed, bouts were picked very strategically..

b. it was a division without much adversity..
Old 10-28-2012, 05:40 PM   #462
Mind Reader
RIP Captain Phil
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
You say intriguing now, but forget that you dont rate calzaghes win over Jones, yet Tarver losing to the worst weight drained version of Jones straight from HW would make for an intriguing opponent.
It would have been interesting but at that time Lacy and Kessler were starting to become faces at SMW and Calzaghe was looking to clear up where he had been avoided before

I actually think the weight drained version of Roy, was his last great fight... Where he dug down and gave it everything he had in the tank to win... He tried harder in that fight, than any fight in his entire career IMO..

I agree though... you can't blame Joe for cleaning up Lacy and Kessler, instead of moving up.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #463
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

[quote]
Quote:
I actually didn't make it up.. It was in an article posted by Zod.. Why would I make it up?
So now G Zod is your source.
Lets see this ARTICLE then
Calzaghe didnt say that at all. Zod just said he didnt face mant southpaws and made accusations which got him schooled by ESBs very own Superman
Quote:
I never said anything about Vanderpool, that is between you and Zod..
Well that was one of the names Zod quoted, so if you are going by Zods quotes, please dont pick and choose on that sentence.
So tell me what did Vanderpool do to make you think Calzaghe was avoiding this dangerous southpaw that is Vanderpool
Quote:
If you read carefully I am not accusing Joe of ducking anyone, but just saying that I think Tarver would have been interesting, being as Joe didn't like other southpaws, and we never saw him in against an elite one.
How do you know he didnt like southpaws? Stop trolling.
What top SMW southpaws were there that he looked to avoid? Liles got KOd.
Bute wasnt ready and admitted he wouldnt want that fight
Quote:
I do find it interesting that there were no good southpaws for Joe to fight.. How do you go an entire professional boxing career without facing a good southpaw... that means one or two things to me..
Point them out to me
Quote:
a. the career was carefully managed, bouts were picked very strategically..
Interesting. Odd how he could become WBO WBA IBF WBC SMW champ with all this cherry picking and has a whos who of the SMW division on his resume
Quote:
b. it was a division without much adversity..
Seems a failed comment when you are talking about Tarver and he wasnt in the same division.
Also a failed comment because Calzaghe was a southpaw and the other southpaws got beat.

Most of the top LMWs are orthodox, but I bet with Canelo and Mayweather that you think the division is diverse. Oh but Kirkland is a southpaw and he was beaten by a journeyman so it must be diverse
bailey is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #464
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
I actually think the weight drained version of Roy, was his last great fight... Where he dug down and gave it everything he had in the tank to win... He tried harder in that fight, than any fight in his entire career IMO..
You see I exposed your double standards
bailey is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #465
slash
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

yes
slash is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum