Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: If you were Joe Calzaghe will you come out of retirement to fight Ward
Yes 78 19.40%
no 324 80.60%
Voters: 402. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #466
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru

vCash: 191
Default Re: If YOU were Joe Calzaghe, would you come out of retirement to fight Andre Ward?

Joe had a huge amount of luck while still being carefully managed. A luckjob.
dinovelvet is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2012, 05:50 PM   #467
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 355
Default Re: If YOU were Joe Calzaghe, would you come out of retirement to fight Andre Ward?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinovelvet View Post
Joe had a huge amount of luck while still being carefully managed. A luckjob.
I agree

Jones - Hampered by a cut for the only time in his career

Hopkins - Had a thyroid problem

Kessler - Hurt his hand

Manfredo - Was just about to land a KO shot on Joe but the ref jumped in, damn Manfredo was just about to star winning

Bika - Hadnt gained valuable experience on the American game show the contender, where they have actors pretending to be boxers, one of those actors was going to beat Joe after his training there. See above.

Lacy - Jet lagged and said himself he looked like he was on drugs

Mitchell - The ref saved Joe, he was going to bounce off the ropes and finish the fight

Sheika - Was beaten by a headbutt

The list goes on. Calzaghe was just lucky and fighters just kept having off nights against him, time and time again.

You see im not a troll or nuthugger, Im looking at the fights through your eyes now. Joe wasnt good enough to beat any of those guys, I dont know how he did it all those times. A fake that went 46 -0 with 21 title defences, 24 title fights, won all the SMW belts and held Ring belts at LHW & SMW the only active fighter at the time to hold belts in 2 divisions at the same time. Lucky
bailey is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #468
Mind Reader
RIP Captain Phil
East Side Guru

vCash: 760

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
You say intriguing now, but forget that you dont rate calzaghes win over Jones, yet Tarver losing to the worst weight drained version of Jones straight from HW would make for an intriguing opponent.
It would have been interesting but at that time Lacy and Kessler were starting to become faces at SMW and Calzaghe was looking to clear up where he had been avoided before
As crazy as it sounds..

I would pick the weight drained version of Roy from the first Tarver fight, to KO the version Joe fought..

Roy's confidence and punch resistance had declined severely since being knocked out...

Roy had no intention to try to take Joe to life and death type of fight that would have happened earlier in their careers.. Roy knew deep down he couldn't keep up with Joe anymore.. He was happy to see the final bell and cash that check.
Mind Reader is online now  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 06:00 PM   #469
Mind Reader
RIP Captain Phil
East Side Guru

Quote:
You see I exposed your double standards
The article is in one of Zod's threads, I don't care to look it up right now.. but I assure you, it is there..

I don't get the double standards.. I simply think the weight drained Jones from the first Tarver fight was better than the Jones from the Calzaghe fight..

If anything, it speaks volumes of how much Roy declined in the next 5 years up to the Calzaghe fight.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:05 PM   #470
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind Reader View Post
The article is in one of Zod's threads, I don't care to look it up right now.. but I assure you, it is there..

I don't get the double standards.. I simply think the weight drained Jones from the first Tarver fight was better than the Jones from the Calzaghe fight..

If anything, it speaks volumes of how much Roy declined in the next 5 years up to the Calzaghe fight.
Its a comment of Zods. Not an article with Calzaghe saying he doesnt want to fight southpaws .
You are clutching at straws and it really shows now
bailey is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 06:11 PM   #471
Mind Reader
RIP Captain Phil
East Side Guru

Quote:
Its a comment of Zods. Not an article with Calzaghe saying he doesnt want to fight southpaws .
You are clutching at straws and it really shows now
No..

It was a link he posted

In one of his threads weeks back.. I read it thoroughly... I actually believe the writer of the article stated Joe didn't fancy other southpaws.. I am not sure it was a direct quote from Joe.

Anyway, I am not accusing Joe of ducking anyone.. Just thinking it would have been great for him to call out Tarver after knocking out Jones. I believe moving up was always in his head.. That would have been an awesome time.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:12 PM   #472
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
No..

It was a link he posted

In one of his threads weeks back.. I read it thoroughly...

Anyway, I am not accusing Joe of ducking anyone.. Just thinking it would have been great for him to call out Tarver after knocking out Jones. I believe moving up was always in his head.. That would have been an awesome time.
Lets see the ARTICLE then.
Stop talking about it and bring it up
bailey is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 06:19 PM   #473
HerolGee
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Quote:
with 21 title defences, 24 title fights, won all the SMW belts and held Ring belts at LHW & SMW the only active fighter at the time to hold belts in 2 divisions at the same time. Lucky
agreed, its an tremendous record for a guy who only ever defended the wbo smw title, that one that was worthless when he won it.

to defend the wbo-worthless title for that long and fit in all the above whilst only defending wbo requires some incredibly tactful cherrypicking and superlative protected management. Makes Wlad's protected career look like Golden Boy's very own ODLH's.

a good acheivement in itsel, mind you. ten years is a long trek for anyone to keep defending any title.
HerolGee is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 06:28 PM   #474
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerolGee View Post
agreed, its an tremendous record for a guy who only ever defended the wbo smw title, that one that was worthless when he won it.

to defend the wbo-worthless title for that long and fit in all the above whilst only defending wbo requires some incredibly tactful cherrypicking and superlative protected management.

a good acheivement in itsel, mind you. ten years is a long trek for anyone to keep defending any title.
Tremendous when you consider that it was defended against Reid, Woodhall, Brewer, Veit, Mitchell, Lacy, Kessler and won against Eubank, when you consider all have been SMW world champs and Calzaghe with that belt was considered the man
bailey is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 06:30 PM   #475
Mind Reader
RIP Captain Phil
East Side Guru

Quote:
Lets see the ARTICLE then.
Stop talking about it and bring it up

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ][Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

The article states that Joe was less keen on meeting southpaws if it can be avoided...
Old 10-28-2012, 06:34 PM   #476
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ][Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

The article states that Joe was less keen on meeting southpaws if it can be avoided...
That isnt Calzaghe saying he isnt eager to face southpaws, that is just something written by someone else and has no background at all
bailey is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 06:38 PM   #477
Mind Reader
RIP Captain Phil
East Side Guru

Quote:
That isnt Calzaghe saying he isnt eager to face southpaws, that is just something written by someone else and has no background at all
If you read my edited post above, you quoted before I had the chance, I stated that it was the writer, and not Joe saying it..

But none the less, it is an article, stated that Joe is known to not like southpaws..

Not something Zod stated that I repeated.. I don't just believe stuff, I usually look for some sort of source or proof, outside of a poster, if I didn't already know it to be true or have my own opinion.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:44 PM   #478
HerolGee
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Quote:
Tremendous when you consider that it was defended against Reid, Woodhall, Brewer, Veit, Mitchell, Lacy, Kessler and won against Eubank, when you consider all have been SMW world champs and Calzaghe with that belt was considered the man
the man who is considering him is the issue. but yes the worthless belt, tremendous. superhuman even.

Superveit especially, I so agree with you, that man must have been from Krypton, winning all those 4, 6 and 8 round matches to clock up his resume. And Wonder-Woodhall wasnt far behind going straight into retirement after his Zaghes fight, a true prime fighter. Ironman Mitchell, Captain Brewer and The Incredible Lacy. Wow Zaghes took out all the Avengers Assemble as well! Add Eubank in a batman mask, he was so so motivated and prepared and interested in winning the wbo-worthless title again.

I agree the Reid draw and Kessler were top challengers, mind you, so no superhero satire saved for them. Good show for those ten years of defending.

(please no cut and paste failed stuff). There I didnt mention the word kick-ass once.
HerolGee is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 06:52 PM   #479
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
the man who is considering him is the issue. but yes the worthless belt, tremendous. superhuman even.

Superveit especially, I so agree with you, that man must have been from Krypton, winning all those 4, 6 and 8 round matches to clock up his resume. And Wonder-Woodhall wasnt far behind going straight into retirement after his Zaghes fight, a true prime fighter. Ironman Mitchell, Captain Brewer and The Incredible Lacy. Wow Zaghes took out all the Avengers Assemble as well! Add Eubank in a batman mask.

I agree the Reid draw and Kessler were top challengers, mind you, so no superhero satire saved for them. Good show for those ten years of defending.

(please no cut and paste failed stuff). There I didnt mention the word kick-ass once.
You rate the Reid win, yet Woodhall beat the fighter that beat Reid. Woodhall possibly has a better resume with the wins over world rated former WBC champ Nardiello, Branco who became the WBA LHW champ, Malinga the WBC SMW champ, Catley the future WBC SMW champ.
All good stuff
bailey is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 06:53 PM   #480
MAJR
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 744

Quote:
Why are you calling the WBO belt worthless?
MAJR is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum