Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 10-28-2012, 02:30 PM   #1
noobboxer_88
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Mouthpiece breathing..

I brought a mouthpiece to practice one day and ran with it in. No issues just harder to breathe. Then we went onto drills. I kept the mouth piece in but everytime i exhaled from my mouth it would come loose. My question is should I focus my exhales through my nose? What do you do?
noobboxer_88 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Mouthpiece breathing..

Well, if you're gonna train with a mouthepiece, then the obvious answer is yes - inhale and exhale through the nose. That's the whole idea.
Personally, I can appreciate the logic behind doing this, and if you can do it - all the power to you. Your conditioning will be superb.
But training with such a handicap (obstructed breathing) could also make your conditioning sessions miserable, and you may have trouble keeping up with training partners. If you become de-motivated to train because it's too punishing - that's counter-productive in my opinion. As I speak, i'm sure people have done this before with success, so i'm not saying it's an outright bad idea.
I'm simply saying, you can add as many handicaps to your training as you like to get the most out of it, but as individuals, we need to maintain a healthy balance of fun and goals that are realistic and achievable.
Good luck with your training. I'm eager to hear how this works out.
Speechless is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
noobboxer_88
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speechless View Post
Well, if you're gonna train with a mouthepiece, then the obvious answer is yes - inhale and exhale through the nose. That's the whole idea.
Personally, I can appreciate the logic behind doing this, and if you can do it - all the power to you. Your conditioning will be superb.
But training with such a handicap (obstructed breathing) could also make your conditioning sessions miserable, and you may have trouble keeping up with training partners. If you become de-motivated to train because it's too punishing - that's counter-productive in my opinion. As I speak, i'm sure people have done this before with success, so i'm not saying it's an outright bad idea.
I'm simply saying, you can add as many handicaps to your training as you like to get the most out of it, but as individuals, we need to maintain a healthy balance of fun and goals that are realistic and achievable.
Good luck with your training. I'm eager to hear how this works out.
If I get TOO winded I take it out and also during rests to get my breath. We have a saying in the military: "Train as you fight". I just want to know if anyone else has done this too? Experiences? I hypothesize It could be similar to be training in higher elevations (ie mountains) or wearing an elevation mask. What I mean is as your blood/oxygen level lowers your body makes more red blood cells to transport the O2. Anyone else familiar with that?
Old 11-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #4
noobboxer_88
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Breathing is getting better. I have to put my piece in before i run or my saliva gets too thick making difficult and uncomfortable to breathe. I've seen a few others starting to do the same thing.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:56 AM   #5
Jboogaloo

This may not be a bad idead for me. I get winded as hell in the ring with my mouthpiece in (only a couple sparring sessions so far) and with a busted nose already it's tough as hell to breath. I think this is a good idea to help me with my breathing and also push my stamina workouts a bit more in the positive direction. We'll see. Thanks for the tip!
Jboogaloo is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2012, 02:15 PM   #6
wordisbond
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

I always use my mouthguard when running and ensure my jaw is closed at all times. I choose to breath through the holes between my my upper mouthguard and my bottom rows of teeth. I feel this has helped tremendously in sparring as I've become so accustomed to breathing while wearing my mouthpiece.
wordisbond is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing