Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 10-16-2012, 10:49 PM   #31
TheDuke
Let me marry Boxed Ears

vCash: 75
Default Re: Tszyu v Gatti

I have no problem with Gatti in the hall of fame. When a boxer is involved in a FOTY candidate nearly every year of his career he belongs to be there. Same with Ward. They captured the hearts of fans and transcended their abilities to earn their places.
TheDuke is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2012, 01:54 AM   #32
Crusher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipswich express View Post
Tszyu was inducted last year on his first ballot. The HOF has nothing to do with someones level of fame, otherwise a New York Middleweight named Tony Danza would be in there.

Gatti was involved in great fights, but he was far from a great fighter. Still, it's not like the IBHOF haven't slipped up before... Barry McGuigan, Ingo Johannson etc.
That's not a very good example he is not famous for boxing. Just like Micky Rourke he is famous for acting.
Crusher is offline  Top
Old 10-17-2012, 02:09 AM   #33
ipswich express
Champion
East Side Guru

At the end of the day, Gatti was never considered the best fighter in his division, let alone an ATG. If you're inducted for taking part in great fights, then guys like Ray Mancini, Ron Lyle etc would all be in there.
ipswich express is offline  Top
Old 10-17-2012, 02:24 AM   #34
Crusher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
At the end of the day, Gatti was never considered the best fighter in his division, let alone an ATG. If you're inducted for taking part in great fights, then guys like Ray Mancini, Ron Lyle etc would all be in there.
Gatti is no all time great never said he was. Just making the point that it's not the hall of great fighters but hall of fame. Gatti was must watch tv for the best part of his career. I personally wouldn't have him in my hall of fame but I won't argue if he is inducted.
Crusher is offline  Top
Old 10-17-2012, 02:32 AM   #35
ipswich express
Champion
East Side Guru

As I've said though, fame is not a selection criteria which fighters are selected. Otherwise Mancini who was a cult figure through the 80s involved in wars that drew higher ratings than Gatti ever did, would be in there. Just my 2c.
ipswich express is offline  Top
Old 10-17-2012, 03:00 AM   #36
Crusher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
As I've said though, fame is not a selection criteria which fighters are selected. Otherwise Mancini who was a cult figure through the 80s involved in wars that drew higher ratings than Gatti ever did, would be in there. Just my 2c.
Fair enough mate. I actually thought Mancini would be in there.
Crusher is offline  Top
Old 10-19-2012, 02:51 AM   #37
spartanboxing

gatti and kostya both legends , pure gold fighters and people
spartanboxing is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2012, 01:15 AM   #38
Crusher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Ward: Gatti a definite Hall of Famer

By Dan Rafael | Oct 25, 2012 10:56 AM
Ballots for the International Boxing Hall of Fame's class of 2013 are due back by Oct. 31. Up for election in the modern category are 45 fighters, including three first-timers on the ballot: the late Arturo Gatti and light heavyweight champion rivals Virgil Hill and Henry Maske.

Gatti's inclusion on the ballot has been a lightning rod of controversy because, despite his building a career filled with incredible, all-time action fights, there are a lot of people who believe he shouldn't be voted in.

The detractors say that although Gatti, who died in 2009 under mysterious circumstances -- authorities initially detained his wife as a murder suspect but later concluded that Gatti had committed suicide -- won alphabet belts in two weight classes (junior lightweight and junior welterweight) during a 16-year pro career, he was never considered the best fighter in his division and his résumé lacked victories against prime, A-level opponents.

Those in support of his election would agree but say that his massive popularity -- he was the boxing franchise in Atlantic City, N.J., for several years -- and the unforgettable nature and ferocity of his many brawls, which helped create so many new boxing fans, made him special and worthy of inclusion.

I filled out my ballot this week and at a later date I'll detail my own selections. But with regard to the Gatti vote, I asked one man who knew Gatti well what he thought about his candidacy.

I asked Micky Ward, Gatti's greatest ring rival who became his close friend by the end of their now-legendary three-fight series, which Gatti won 2-1.

Their first junior welterweight fight was as good as it gets and was the consensus 2002 fight of the year, which Ward won via majority decision. Later in 2002, Gatti won a decision in the second fight, which was excellent but not one of those truly memorable slugfests that dot Gatti's résumé. In 2003, Gatti won the rubber match, which also was widely considered the fight of the year.

Ward, who retired after the third fight and then briefly trained Gatti at the end of his career, believes that, without question, Gatti is a Hall of Famer.

"I think he definitely should be," Ward said. "If you look at the statistics, he was in fight of the year four times. He had a number of comebacks in fights. He had so many exciting fights that people remember. He's a two-time word champion and he had round of the century with me."

Ward is referring to the amazing ninth round of their first fight, when Ward dropped Gatti early with a brutal left hook to the body and came close to knocking him out before Gatti came roaring back in one of the best toe-to-toe action rounds in boxing history.

"So I think he's a Hall of Famer. Why not? Look at some of the guys who are in there who I don't think have done what he has done," said Ward, who participated in three consecutive fights of the year -- his 2001 win against Emanuel Augustus and then the first and third Gatti fights.

Ward said when he heard that Gatti had made the ballot in his first year of eligibility, he was very excited.

"It was great. I was just so happy when I found out," said Ward, who is a regular visitor to the Hall of Fame induction weekend at the Canastota, N.Y., shrine each June.

He said that if Gatti is elected, he would be there for induction day (although Gatti would have to be represented by his family). It would be bittersweet, Ward said, but there is no way he would miss it.

"Most definitely and without a doubt, I will be there," he said. "It would be the second-best thing to me getting in there."

Ward said he is enjoying his retirement and working with a few young fighters. He also said that there is a good chance that there will be a sequel to the critically acclaimed 2010 film "The Fighter," which was based on his life.

Ward said that he has been talking to Mark Wahlberg, the film's producer and star, about a sequel that would focus on Ward's trilogy with Gatti. "The Fighter" timeline ended before the Gatti-Ward fights.

"I've been talking with Mark, and they're talking about doing the movie," Ward said. "Will it happen? I don't know, but if it does, it will be around the Gatti fights. I hope it happens. It would be great. It would remind everyone again what Arturo meant to boxing."

Tags:BoxingDan RafaelArturo GattiMicky Ward2013 Boxing Hall of Fame
ESPN Conversations
+ Add your comment
View all comments
Crusher is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2012, 01:32 AM   #39
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuke View Post
Tszyu in 6 or less

I just think Gatti's willingness to trade with a guy as accurate and powerful as Kostya would mean a brutal ending to the fight for him.
This.
Son of Gaul is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 05:53 PM   #40
swingin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

ugly end for a prime gatti if he ever fought a prime tszu.

although, the tszu that fought hatton would have been slaughtered by a prime gatti....

swingin is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2012, 02:54 AM   #41
The Jackal
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingin View Post
ugly end for a prime gatti if he ever fought a prime tszu.

although, the tszu that fought hatton would have been slaughtered by a prime gatti....

I'm tipping a prime Gatti wasn't fighting at junior welter mate.
So he'd be a tad too small to trouble the version of Kostya at 147 that night in Manchester.
Shame they never met in the ring, but i'm glad they didn't, in hindsight.
The Jackal is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum