Lord Tywin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Ali and Parkinsons

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidDynamite View Post
Its the same thing

And if boxing really caused it then we'd see more fighters with it like we do with dementia

It is not the same thing. They are clinically different. Just look at head injury patients who never had anything to do with boxing and never had Parkinson's Disease but suddenly become symptomatic of Parkinson's after a traumatic car accident or other severe brain damage.

There have been a lot of fighters who had what is now termed Parkinson's Syndrome they were just lumped together in the category of "punch drunk." Yet, fighters arent the only ones who experience these symptoms as a result of trauma.

I remember as far back as the early 1960s when Kingfish Levinsky got a lot of press for this. He had hand tremors as bad or worse than Ali, couldnt walk or talk right. He was funny as hell but incapable of doing anything other than selling cheap ties to tourists in Florida.

Maxie Rosenbloom was another who experienced physical symptoms long before he ever started to experience dementia.

Fighters have been experiencing brain damage in various forms since the beginning of the sport.

The brain is a complicated piece of machinery. Everyone will react differently to the trauma of boxing but to say that nobody had Parkinson's Syndrome before or after Ali, and that Ali's symptoms arent a result of his boxing is irresponsible.
Lord Tywin is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2012, 12:22 AM   #32
leverage
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollack View Post
I think Ali started to have some signs of issues even after the first Frazier fight, in which he took hellacious bombs throughout. Listen to how punch drunk he sounds after the fight in interviews. I've seen some footage of Ali's hand slightly tremoring even in 1971.
I think that anyone who's jaw was swollen like ali's was would not speak as clearly as they normally would, so that's to be expected.

However, i would be more inclined to agree with you if the time frame that you mentioned would have been 1978.
leverage is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2012, 08:53 AM   #33
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

More than likely from boxing long after he should have finished. I feel pretty strongly that circumstances would have been different had he retired after 1975.

Still,who REALLY knows ?
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2012, 08:56 AM   #34
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollack View Post
I think Ali started to have some signs of issues even after the first Frazier fight, in which he took hellacious bombs throughout. Listen to how punch drunk he sounds after the fight in interviews. I've seen some footage of Ali's hand slightly tremoring even in 1971.

No way did he show any signs,publicly,until 1978. In my observation.
Stevie G is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum