Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 10-28-2012, 03:10 AM   #1
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847
Default Nick Diaz vs. Josh Koscheck?

It's certainly a possibility. An interesting fight, as well.

Quote:
Though he was hoping to fight by the end of the year, Josh Koscheck will wait for the calendar to turn.

When he returns, the former UFC welterweight title challenger has a few ideas of whom he'd like to fight. It's a short list, but it's a veritable who's-who of the 170-pound class.

Koscheck (17-6 MMA, 15-6 UFC) on Tuesday named Nick Diaz, Demian Maia, Jake Ellenberger and Rory MacDonald as opponents he's interested in.

"Doesn't look like UFC has a fight (for) me until (2013). So I'll just train and get better," Koscheck stated on Twitter. The fighter then went on to list the four opponents he's most interested in.

Koscheck earlier this fall said his plan was to return to action at UFC 155, which takes place Dec. 29 in Las Vegas. But a fight for him didn't materialize for that card, and now the California-based fighter will next see work in 2013.

Koscheck won two straight fights after dropping a unanimous decision against Georges St-Pierre in a welterweight title fight at UFC 124 in December 2010. He returned from a long injury layoff to knock out Matt Hughes in the first round at UFC 135, then won a split decision against Mike Pierce at UFC 141. But against Johny Hendricks at UFC on FOX 3 this past May, a split decision didn't go his way.

He was booked for a fight with Ellenberger at UFC 151, but had to pull out of that fight with a back injury. Then that event was canceled, anyway.

Ellenberger (28-6 MMA, 7-2 UFC) beat Koscheck replacement Jay Hieron by unanimous decision earlier this month at UFC on FX 5. It's conceivable that Ellenberger could be ready to go again for an early 2013 fight against Koscheck.

Diaz (26-8 MMA, 7-5 UFC) currently is suspended by the Nevada State Athletic Commission and won't be eligible to fight again until February.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I know that it is popular belief that Diaz is in for a rough night against any competent wrestler, but I think that's one of the biggest myth's in MMA. Fact is, Nick Diaz has never been completely shut down by any wrestler than he has faced. It is a myth stemming from his first UFC run, where he lost to Diego Sanchez and Karo Paryisian, who both won narrow decisions by simply being the fighter on top, for the most part. A lot of dummies seem to think he was handily outwrestled by Sean Sherk, but they clearly haven't seen the fight. Nick stuffed up to twenty takedowns in that fight, and even landed a couple of his own. Unfortunately for him, he was so focused on the TDD aspect of the fight, that his striking suffered, and Sherk scraped by on the judges scorecards, although it would have been fair to give Nick the nod in that fight, just as it would have been fair to give him the nod against Riggs and Karo in his first UFC run.

In reality, Nick has one of the most active guards in the game, and it is just impossible to simply LNP him. He will always be working for submissions and sweeps, and trying to exploit small openings. But, we live in a world where the guy on top is pretty much always considered to be the guy with the upper hand, and the judges often neglect to acknowledge guard work. That's the only thing that scares me if this fight does go down.

On the feet, Kos is pretty much a one trick pony with his wild overhand right. He does throw some high kicks, but his arsenal is very limited. Nick should definitely have the advantage there, utilizing his reach and work rate. However, I don't really think Kos will want to keep it standing, and will test his luck in Nick's guard.

I'm done.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 05:55 AM   #2
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: Nick Diaz vs. Josh Koscheck?

It makes sense. Koscheck is the most over qualified gatekeeper (but no chance to ever get above that now) and, if he chooses to, could give Nick hassle by stifling him with his wrestling.

But he'll probably just try and swing right hands at him and get beat up.

Interesting, but if Diaz loses his top flight chances are done.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 06:42 AM   #3
Peter__1987

vCash:

Over 5 rounds Diaz would grind him down. Damn i'd love to see Nick lay a beating on Koscheck!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2012, 04:59 PM   #4
greathamza
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 117

Wrestlers has been a problem for him in the past but i dont see Diaz losing this one
greathamza is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 08:14 PM   #5
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

Itīs now or never for Diaz.....
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2012, 10:54 AM   #6
The Prodigy
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000

I think the Kos Vs Diaz fight would also give a good indication of how Nick will cope with GSP's wrestling - if he cant beat Kos, then I dont give him any chance against GSP at all. If he handles Kos' wrestling and takedown attempts with ease, then it makes his title shot against GSP all the more interesting.

Also the pre fight trashtalking would be on another level
The Prodigy is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2012, 11:43 AM   #7
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

vCash: 553

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic-JofreBRASIL View Post
Itīs now or never for Diaz.....
This, I'm a strong believer in a fighter remaining competitive and I don't think Nick Diaz could ever be champ at WW. Kos handles him.
BobDigi5060 is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2012, 12:20 PM   #8
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

This could be the most interesting matchup UFC's had in a long time.
Honestly, the only thing that will come close to the actual fight itself would be the pre-fight trash talk. This would be awesome for many different reasons - and stylistically this makes good sense. I think I'd give Diaz the advantage both on the feet and on the ground easily. He is his own worst enemy though, so the only person likely to sabotage this matchup is Diaz himself. This dude can't go a month without making a career limiting move. It won't be long until his antics will no longer be tolerated or justified by his abilities.
Speechless is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2012, 01:06 PM   #9
Peter__1987

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speechless View Post
This could be the most interesting matchup UFC's had in a long time.
Honestly, the only thing that will come close to the actual fight itself would be the pre-fight trash talk. This would be awesome for many different reasons - and stylistically this makes good sense. I think I'd give Diaz the advantage both on the feet and on the ground easily. He is his own worst enemy though, so the only person likely to sabotage this matchup is Diaz himself. This dude can't go a month without making a career limiting move. It won't be long until his antics will no longer be tolerated or justified by his abilities.
Disagree. the UFC has suffered a dip in viewers/ppv losses recently, they NEED people like Diaz, a character outside the ring and a warrior in it. his place is safe
Old 10-29-2012, 05:14 PM   #10
rusty nails
Tszyu for PM!!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter__1987 View Post
Disagree. the UFC has suffered a dip in viewers/ppv losses recently, they NEED people like Diaz, a character outside the ring and a warrior in it. his place is safe
mayhem disagrees
rusty nails is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2012, 05:43 PM   #11
The Spider

vCash:

I like the sound of this one. A very willing affair, and Josh will never die wondering.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:12 PM   #12
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
I would agree with this in the short term, only because UFCs in a slump, which I feel is temporary. But when things go well, I think the bosses won't tolerate it. When egos get involved, sometimes good decision making loses out.
Speechless is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2012, 05:47 AM   #13
Peter__1987

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty nails View Post
mayhem disagrees
Look at Mayhem's last couple UFC performances then look at Diaz's fight with Penn, apples and oranges.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:52 AM   #14
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Good fight, could be a re-run of the Sherk fight years ago though
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2012, 06:06 AM   #15
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177

Quote:
Look at Mayhem's last couple UFC performances then look at Diaz's fight with Penn, apples and oranges.
Problem for Diaz is that he is operating on a short rope because of his habit of ****ing the UFC over due to being a moron. He's just a crappy employee, they can't rely on him for ANYTHING. He can't be a coach on TUF, and he can't be a fighter they can use as a face of the company. You can't organize anything around Diaz without constantly stressing that he's going to suddenly **** it up at any time for no reason. That's OK while he's winning, but once he gets a bad loss and fan interest in him dies down, he quickly becomes very expendable. There are plenty of guys who will fight balls out and show up at the press conferences.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum