Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2012, 07:43 AM   #46
Jonsey
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5,589
vCash: 500
Default Re: Ricky Burns and the other top lightweights.

Burns will fight his mandatory who wont be great after Walsh.
Jonsey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2012, 07:46 AM   #47
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Poorer place without Johnny Tapia
Posts: 9,602
vCash: 75
Default Re: Ricky Burns and the other top lightweights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsey View Post
Burns will fight his mandatory who wont be great after Walsh.
Yeah because it's Broner then Bogere right now but they've got imminent fights which could change things.
Gonzalez,Moses and Rees are next.
This is why we need Ricky to fight for one of the other belts.
PityTheFool is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:54 AM   #48
Dicky Anderson
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 105
vCash: 500
Default Re: Ricky Burns and the other top lightweights.

You only have to read any article by a u.s journo on broner to know that he is expected to beat demarco, and that they believe burns to be a more difficult prospect. There's no reason not to believe burns will be fighting in a unification bout next year. Well apart from his promoter. At the end of the day though, whoever is his mandatory will be much lower on the risk reward scale.
Dicky Anderson is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:42 PM   #49
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Poorer place without Johnny Tapia
Posts: 9,602
vCash: 75
Default Re: Ricky Burns and the other top lightweights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicky Anderson View Post
You only have to read any article by a u.s journo on broner to know that he is expected to beat demarco, and that they believe burns to be a more difficult prospect. There's no reason not to believe burns will be fighting in a unification bout next year. Well apart from his promoter. At the end of the day though, whoever is his mandatory will be much lower on the risk reward scale.
My only worry about that is that Broner could win the WBC belt and forget about his top spot with the WBO.
Him being mandatory was the key to this fight happening IMO.
PityTheFool is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:51 PM   #50
perspicacity
Raising The Bar
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Nags Head
Posts: 2,461
vCash: 185000
Default Re: Ricky Burns and the other top lightweights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieC View Post
lets face it i think ricky wants and would win the unifications, but it looks like ***** has managed to get a mandatory made for early next year, he does not want ricky to have these fights so he's lobbied the WBO to force ricky not to, so sad and such a waste if ricky doesnt for *****'s hand here
This is what worries me and why I stated "strike while the iron is hot"

Anything can happen in life, you could pick up an injury etc so I hope they get Ricky the BIG fights whilst he is in this form and he ends his career with no major regrets.

Even if he lost in these big unification fights he could still fill the Braehead Arena/SECC afterwards IMO.
perspicacity is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:08 PM   #51
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Poorer place without Johnny Tapia
Posts: 9,602
vCash: 75
Default Re: Ricky Burns and the other top lightweights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perspicacity View Post
This is what worries me and why I stated "strike while the iron is hot"

Anything can happen in life, you could pick up an injury etc so I hope they get Ricky the BIG fights whilst he is in this form and he ends his career with no major regrets.

Even if he lost in these big unification fights he could still fill the Braehead Arena/SECC afterwards IMO.
I know it's only speculation,and I'm not trying to sell it as fact,but I heard his team(you know who I mean) are telling him that he should only go over there to fight Broner if there's a mil on offer.
Too many people with power here have agendas that will hurt Ricky's legacy badly.I'd love GBP to come in with a life changing offer for Ricky.
But a Walsh fight won't make that happen.
PityTheFool is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:55 PM   #52
McGuinty
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 1,497
vCash: 500
Default Re: Ricky Burns and the other top lightweights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craney91 View Post
Dunno what the fuss is about with Ricky Burns, 1 in every 5 thread seems to be about him. What has he done and what is he doing at Lightweight? Like somebody else said, it'll be Walsh and then more than likely Scott Harrison, before they even think about going over to America and even then, it'll probably be a teaser.

Bigger money fights for the likes of Broner, De Marco, Abril and Vazquez, the money fights will come before Ricky "nobody" Burns. That might get peoples knickers in a twist, buts it the truth.

Ricky is a nobody in America, no pull whatsoever. Compare it to the likes of Ricky Hatton when he first crossed over, they knew who he was and he generated money, he was relevant and he had appeal. The fights virtually made them self.

Whereas Ricky Burns has got to fight his way into that and prove that he is something to be reckoned with in the ring. He's got to keep winning against top opposition at lightweight, to make fights almost unavoidable.

Fighting Liam Walsh does NOTHING for Ricky Burns, nor does it make a Broner fight next.

Hopefully the rumors are true, and that is the next fight, but I can't see it myself, Broner will get the win over De Marco and be looking around with his team for the money fights in Vegas. There is a cue before Ricky Burns.
Man, your just gonna attract Burns fanboys with that comment man. Burns fans are just like Pacquiao fans.. except Pacquiao actually fought and beat top fighters.
McGuinty is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:40 PM   #53
weegriffin
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,106
vCash: 3275
Default Re: Ricky Burns and the other top lightweights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PityTheFool View Post
My only worry about that is that Broner could win the WBC belt and forget about his top spot with the WBO.
Him being mandatory was the key to this fight happening IMO.
I think as soon as you win a belt you are taken off the other organisations top ten list. Broner vs DeMarco winner vs Burns is a unification fight so it still might happen.

Neither Abril, Bogere WBA, Vasquez IBF or Burns WBO are really big name in America so Broner vs DeMarco winner will likely fight atleast one of the above. But if the Broner vs DeMarco winner vs Burns fight can't be made I think Burns should fight Abril vs Bogere winner or Vasquez in Unification fights, those fights could possibly be made in the UK.
weegriffin is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:15 PM   #54
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Poorer place without Johnny Tapia
Posts: 9,602
vCash: 75
Default Re: Ricky Burns and the other top lightweights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGuinty View Post
Man, your just gonna attract Burns fanboys with that comment man. Burns fans are just like Pacquiao fans.. except Pacquiao actually fought and beat top fighters.
What do you think of Vasquez and Broner's last five opponents?
Since you go on about Ricky not deserving a belt,I'd love to know what you think of their world title resumes.
PityTheFool is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:16 PM   #55
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Poorer place without Johnny Tapia
Posts: 9,602
vCash: 75
Default Re: Ricky Burns and the other top lightweights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegriffin View Post
I think as soon as you win a belt you are taken off the other organisations top ten list. Broner vs DeMarco winner vs Burns is a unification fight so it still might happen.

Neither Abril, Bogere WBA, Vasquez IBF or Burns WBO are really big name in America so Broner vs DeMarco winner will likely fight atleast one of the above. But if the Broner vs DeMarco winner vs Burns fight can't be made I think Burns should fight Abril vs Bogere winner or Vasquez in Unification fights, those fights could possibly be made in the UK.
Bogere is #2 after Broner with the WBO.The top 10 is pretty grim after him and Broner and those two could be out of the mix now.

I can't see how Vasquez isn't gettable if he fought for around $28k on Saturday.
PityTheFool is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:07 PM   #56
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Poorer place without Johnny Tapia
Posts: 9,602
vCash: 75
Default Re: Ricky Burns and the other top lightweights.

Anyone want to take up my original thought and discuss how Ricky does against the other guys at the top of the division?
PityTheFool is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013