boxing

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


View Poll Results: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Manny Pacquiao - do you even care?
Yes. 216 81.51%
No. 17 6.42%
I used to. 32 12.08%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2012, 01:43 PM   #42346
MichiganWarrior
Still Slick! Still Black!
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: G Rap
Posts: 13,402
vCash: 571
Default Re: How come Floyd has never fought a Prime ATG?

Who was a prime ATG that Floyd couldve fought besides little body giant head?

Morales and Barrera bottom end ATG's at best, both well below his weight class

Mosley declined a fight twice. Oscar went after bigger fish.


Who? Marquez is an ATG who whipped Pac 2 years after Mayweather gave him the BBC
MichiganWarrior is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:45 PM   #42347
JohnAnthony
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,999
vCash: 272
Default Re: How come Floyd has never fought a Prime ATG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWarrior View Post
Who was a prime ATG that Floyd couldve fought besides little body giant head?

Morales and Barrera bottom end ATG's at best, both well below his weight class

Mosley declined a fight twice. Oscar went after bigger fish.


Who? Marquez is an ATG who whipped Pac 2 years after Mayweather gave him the BBC

Not the point of my thread.

I'm wondering if any other fighter have managed to go through the weights like floyyd, be ranked so high, without having to fight one.
JohnAnthony is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:45 PM   #42348
tliang1000
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 10,051
vCash: 67541
Default Re: How come Floyd has never fought a Prime ATG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAnthony View Post
i'm not sure what you mean. but obvious ATG from our era are:
Manny, Floyd, Oscar, Mosley, Jones, Calaghe, Hopkins, Lewis, Kosta, Barrera, Morales, Marquez.

There are more but can't e bothered naming. Then there prime is debatable depending who you ask. But they all have them.
John is virtually impossible for someone to be "in prime" and atg at the same time.... same as HOFer in prime.
tliang1000 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links


Old 10-29-2012, 01:46 PM   #42349
JohnAnthony
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,999
vCash: 272
Default Re: How come Floyd has never fought a Prime ATG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaNazVegas View Post
Genaro Hernandez
Diego Corrales
Jose Luis Castillo (arguably an atg)
DeMarcus "Chop Chop" Corley
Ricky Hatton
Juan Manuel Marquez (though it wasn't a fair fight)

none of these are prime ATG's. Only Marquez is an ATG on this list and he wasn't near his prime
JohnAnthony is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:47 PM   #42350
MichiganWarrior
Still Slick! Still Black!
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: G Rap
Posts: 13,402
vCash: 571
Default Re: How come Floyd has never fought a Prime ATG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAnthony View Post
i'm not sure what you mean. but obvious ATG from our era are:
Manny, Floyd, Oscar, Mosley, Jones, Calaghe, Hopkins, Lewis, Kosta, Barrera, Morales, Marquez.

There are more but can't e bothered naming. Then there prime is debatable depending who you ask. But they all have them.
Calzaghe and Tsyu arent ATGs. Tsyu lost to ****ing vicent phillips.
MichiganWarrior is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:47 PM   #42351
VivaNazVegas
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,285
vCash: 585
Default Re: How come Floyd has never fought a Prime ATG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAnthony View Post
none of these are prime ATG's
Yes they are
VivaNazVegas is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:47 PM   #42352
tliang1000
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 10,051
vCash: 67541
Default Re: How come Floyd has never fought a Prime ATG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAnthony View Post
none of these are prime ATG's. Only Marquez is an ATG on this list and he wasn't near his prime
No **** man. Even if Floyd beats Pac today he is not considered in prime. But when Pac is in prime he is not an ATG. Serious people some use some logic before they start accusing boxers.
tliang1000 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:48 PM   #42353
JohnAnthony
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,999
vCash: 272
Default Re: How come Floyd has never fought a Prime ATG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tliang1000 View Post
John is virtually impossible for someone to be "in prime" and atg at the same time.... same as HOFer in prime.
use your noggin. We know which fighters from this area will be remembered as an ATG. We're here living in it.

No they haven't been declared it cos there still fighting. But we all know which ones will.
JohnAnthony is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:48 PM   #42354
Mind Reader
J-U-ICE
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 7,479
vCash: 850
Default Re: How come Floyd has never fought a Prime ATG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tliang1000 View Post
John is virtually impossible for someone to be "in prime" and atg at the same time.... same as HOFer in prime.
You should be able to look back in hindsight, and realize the person was ATG, and prime or close to it.. Such as Jones Hopkins..

At the time, both were just contenders, had no idea both would go on to legendary careers afterwards.
Mind Reader is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:49 PM   #42355
JohnAnthony
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,999
vCash: 272
Default Re: How come Floyd has never fought a Prime ATG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWarrior View Post
Calzaghe and Tsyu arent ATGs. Tsyu lost to ****ing vicent phillips.
Calzzaghe will be remembered as one. I don't agree personally. But any fighter that is awarded 3 best boxer of a decade will also be remembered as an ATG.

Kosta is borderline, but i personally think he will be.
JohnAnthony is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:51 PM   #42356
JohnAnthony
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,999
vCash: 272
Default Re: How come Floyd has never fought a Prime ATG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tliang1000 View Post
No **** man. Even if Floyd beats Pac today he is not considered in prime. But when Pac is in prime he is not an ATG. Serious people some use some logic before they start accusing boxers.

i agree. im not accusing him.

The point of the thread is: Are there any examples of other boxers that have managed to go through 5 divisions at floyds level, without ever facing a prime ATG.

I'm not accusing, I'm asking if there are any other examples.
JohnAnthony is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:51 PM   #42357
tliang1000
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 10,051
vCash: 67541
Default Re: How come Floyd has never fought a Prime ATG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAnthony View Post
use your noggin. We know which fighters from this area will be remembered as an ATG. We're here living in it.

No they haven't been declared it cos there still fighting. But we all know which ones will.

Examples please. Don't just say it which boxer today has beaten a prime ATG
tliang1000 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:53 PM   #42358
JohnAnthony
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,999
vCash: 272
Default Re: How come Floyd has never fought a Prime ATG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tliang1000 View Post
Examples please. Don't just say it which boxer today has beaten a prime ATG

Too many to mention.
Barrera, Morales, Pac, Jones, Trinidad, and on and on and on
JohnAnthony is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:54 PM   #42359
tliang1000
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 10,051
vCash: 67541
Default Re: How come Floyd has never fought a Prime ATG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAnthony View Post
i agree. im not accusing him.

The point of the thread is: Are there any examples of other boxers that have managed to go through 5 divisions at floyds level, without ever facing a prime ATG.

I'm not accusing, I'm asking if there are any other examples.
ATGs are being judged throughout their career as a whole. Whole as in their complete career. You can assume someone will become ATG. Keyword assume.
tliang1000 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:54 PM   #42360
JohnAnthony
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,999
vCash: 272
Default Re: How come Floyd has never fought a Prime ATG?

delete
JohnAnthony is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2015