Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 10-30-2012, 11:37 AM   #1
Brand NOOBian
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Pros/Cons of this Push-up Routine

My goal for today was to do a total of 200 push-ups, something I've never done before. I put together this routine on the fly, but I felt like I got a pretty good work out. The sets/reps I did were random for each variation, partly just to get it to 200 and partly because I got tired about halfway through. I'll probably have to mess with the numbers a bit in the future.

-3x20 alternating medicine ball push-ups
-3x10 medicine ball push-ups
-2x15, 1x10 spartan push-ups
-3x10 clap push ups
-2x10 diamond push-ups
-2x10 bench double clap push-ups (not behind the back)

What would you say are the pros/cons of this routine? Should I incorporate regular push-ups or decline push-ups? Anything you would change?
Brand NOOBian is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2012, 11:55 AM   #2
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Pros/Cons of this Push-up Routine

I suppose a con would be it's pointless.

Having said that if you are going to do that routine what are you doing to do to even the work with your back? It seems not many people on this forum understand the need for balance.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
Brand NOOBian
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post

Having said that if you are going to do that routine what are you doing to do to even the work with your back? It seems not many people on this forum understand the need for balance.
Can you elaborate on why it's pointless?

For back I do pull-ups, one arm DB rows and/or bent over DB rows, and reverse bench flies (on a different day). All I have access to are light DBs and a pull-up bar.

Granted, many people may be unaware of the need for balance, but I really don't see how you came to that conclusion from my post.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:10 PM   #4
D_Andrade
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brand NOOBian View Post
Can you elaborate on why it's pointless?

For back I do pull-ups, one arm DB rows and/or bent over DB rows, and reverse bench flies (on a different day). All I have access to are light DBs and a pull-up bar.

Granted, many people may be unaware of the need for balance, but I really don't see how you came to that conclusion from my post.
You won't get an answer from him all he does is say things are wrong with no proof or advice the fatty can't even help himself. Its very easy to critique everything and offer nothing back he does it all day long.
D_Andrade is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2012, 01:16 PM   #5
ROACH
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I'll say this, if you can do that many push ups, you may want to consider slowing down your movements and enhancing your range of motion so that your body is practically in contact with the floor at the midpoint position.

If you do this, you'll find that you won't be able to do as many push-ups as you normally do, and you will enhance your strength as opposed to your endurance.

And if it's still easy, you should consider switching to a more difficult version of the push up.
ROACH is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2012, 01:21 PM   #6
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Andrade View Post
You won't get an answer from him all he does is say things are wrong with no proof or advice the fatty can't even help himself. Its very easy to critique everything and offer nothing back he does it all day long.
Seems I have another clueless fan

Seriously, fatty? I take it you're around the age of 13?

Last edited by viru§™; 10-30-2012 at 03:03 PM.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2012, 01:27 PM   #7
noobboxer_88
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post

Bullshit. Now you're going to a totally different muscle group forgetting completely the fact that he asked about a pull up routine.

Okay here we go. What do you call a push up? Half way down? Again goin back to my military career if your chest didnt touch the ground it didnt count. Body needs to be straight as possible keep your abs tight. Opening your reach (aka wide arm push ups) will pull on the pectoral muscles. Slowing down does nothing but waste energy. Try pulling your elbows into your sides and that will focus on your triceps. Hell do them on your knuckles (with adequate padding and no wraps). That will strengthen your wrist even further plus its better for it. Aligns the bones in the wrist to provide further structure. I honestly cant see anything wrong with your routine. But what the hell is a Spartan p/u?
And yes do regular and decline (feet higher than the rest)
noobboxer_88 is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2012, 01:38 PM   #8
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobboxer_88 View Post
Bullshit. Now you're going to a totally different muscle group forgetting completely the fact that he asked about a pull up routine.
Really? So please explain what this particular made up routine will do to enhance the OP athletic ability...? If it's just to do 200 pushups it's pointless. The pullup routine was also pointless.

If as an athlete you're going to do an exercise, you need a damn good reason to do that exercise i.e. I'm not going to do arm curls to strengthen my quads. Doing so would be a complete waste of time.

Why people just slap a bunch of exercises together with no reasoning or actual point (which makes it pointless) I don't know.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2012, 01:38 PM   #9
ROACH
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobboxer_88 View Post

Okay here we go. What do you call a push up? Half way down? Again goin back to my military career if your chest didnt touch the ground it didnt count. Body needs to be straight as possible keep your abs tight. Opening your reach (aka wide arm push ups) will pull on the pectoral muscles. Slowing down does nothing but waste energy. Try pulling your elbows into your sides and that will focus on your triceps. Hell do them on your knuckles (with adequate padding and no wraps). That will strengthen your wrist even further plus its better for it. Aligns the bones in the wrist to provide further structure. I honestly cant see anything wrong with your routine. But what the hell is a Spartan p/u?
And yes do regular and decline (feet higher than the rest)
Disagree. Slowing down ensures you are not using any momentum.
ROACH is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2012, 01:42 PM   #10
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROACH View Post
I never read that part of his post.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2012, 05:26 PM   #11
noobboxer_88
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROACH View Post
Fair enough. Hadnt thought on that.
noobboxer_88 is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2012, 09:40 PM   #12
Brand NOOBian
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Really? So please explain what this particular made up routine will do to enhance the OP athletic ability...? If it's just to do 200 pushups it's pointless. The pullup routine was also pointless.
When I first started doing push-ups, I couldn't do 100. Then it got to the point where doing 100 was relatively easy compared to when I started. Then I started doing 120. That eventually turned to 150, and yesterday it was 200. The point wasn't just to do 200 push-ups for the sake of doing it. It was to challenge myself to do something I've never done before and make my workout harder than usual. Same goes for my pull-up routine. I read an article saying doing low reps, avoiding fatigue, and doing high volume could be a beneficial way to do body weight exercises, so I tried it out. If that's "pointless," please enlighten me on a better way to do it.

As for the push-ups, I thought the explosive nature of alternating medicine ball, medicine ball, spartan (youtube it), and clap push-ups would help with explosiveness and/or speed and/or strength. That's why I asked the initial question, to get some feedback from people who might know more than I do. Again, if I'm wrong, please enlighten me.*

Quote:
If as an athlete you're going to do an exercise, you need a damn good reason to do that exercise i.e. I'm not going to do arm curls to strengthen my quads. Doing so would be a complete waste of time.
Although I agree with your statement, the example you gave is completely irrelevant. Obviously doing arm curls will be pointless in training quads, just as doing squats would be pointless in training arms. But it's not like I asked if this push-up routine will help me run faster or jump higher or some other totally unrelated thing. I just asked for the pros and cons. But if I'm doing push-ups, it's not hard to infer that I'm trying to train chest/triceps. So how is the push-up routine I posted "pointless" in this aspect? Please enlighten me.*

Quote:
Why people just slap a bunch of exercises together with no reasoning or actual point (which makes it pointless) I don't know.
Since you are so wise in your structuring of your exercise routines that have a strong foundation in reasoning and an actual point, please suggest a way that, in your opinion, I can improve upon my routine, instead of just saying it's pointless and not offering any advice/suggestions.

And if something is pointless, doing it and not doing it should have the same result. i.e. punching a wall and not breaking it is the same as not punching the wall and not breaking it. The wall remains unbroken regardless of whether you punch it or not. Therefore, punching the wall is pointless. So are you saying that doing this push-up routine would be equivalent to not doing it all?

Thank you for taking the time out of your intelligent, well-structured, result-getting exercise filled day to read and respond to the posts of a mere mortal compared to the godliness of your fitness expertise.*
Old 11-01-2012, 01:00 PM   #13
Brand NOOBian
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Still awaiting your reply, oh kind sir. It's been almost 2 days and I'm hesitant to do any exercise whatsoever for fear of it being pointless. Please share some of your vast knowledge so that I may move on with my meager existence.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:55 PM   #14
D_Andrade
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75
Talking Re: Pros/Cons of this Push-up Routine

Quote:
Still awaiting your reply, oh kind sir. It's been almost 2 days and I'm hesitant to do any exercise whatsoever for fear of it being pointless. Please share some of your vast knowledge so that I may move on with my meager existence.
I've done already told you he will just say its wrong and won't work. Good look getting some reasoning and logic behind his "answers".
D_Andrade is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2012, 03:21 PM   #15
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Mate, I didn't even read your last post, I mean clearly you know more than me, I'm only trained in this.

If you want to waste your time doing this randomly slapped together routine go ahead.
viru§™ is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing