Old 06-18-2012, 06:18 AM   #5266
Hoshi
bigboi
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2419
Default Re: The 'what fights did you watch today?' thread

^
Watched Trinidad vs De La Hoya too.

Did the same as usual. Looked excellent and then stopped throwing, basically giving the rounds away.

Had it 116-112 for Oscar.
Hoshi is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2012, 07:28 AM   #5267
jonnytightlips
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971791 View Post
I've been watching quite a few fights over the last two days:

Arce vs Hussein I - absolute war, although Arce was having the better of it most of the time. Support for him was amazing, thanks to the large contingent of Mexicans there for Morales vs Pacquiao - you rarely hear that kind of noise for a PPV undercard fight.

Arce vs Hussein II - not as entertaining as the first one, obviously, but Arce showed his class. Big difference in sound as Judah vs Mayweather was the main event.

Corrales vs Castillo II - another war, one-sided in terms of rounds for Castillo, but both landed a lot in the four rounds.

Arce vs Álvarez - another good Arce fight (quite a few of these ). Last two fights had a guy missing the weight limit by a mile, luckily it didn't affect Arce too much.

Freitas vs Corrales - I only knew the result and the close-ish scorecards before I watched this, I was surprised by how much Freitas dominated the first six rounds. He was expending a lot of energy with his power shots, but he was winning the rounds (I had it 5-1 after six) and dishing out a lot of punishment, before Corrales caught up in the eighth round with the first knockdown. The quitting was understandable I suppose, it was only going to get worse.

EDIT: Just watched Freitas vs Ramírez - oh, that was a beuatiful little fight.
Freitas - Barrios is another great fight.
jonnytightlips is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #5268
JFT96
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Just rewatched Kessler-Froch, I had it 115-113 Froch the other two times I've watched it but wanted to see if I'd changed my opinion.

Round 1- 10-9 Froch. Just a feeling out round really, both land some nice jabs but more come from Froch IMO to give him the round.

Round 2- 10-9 Froch. More action here and Kessler is the one stepping up the pace but the better, more quality is coming from Froch I thought. He lands some beautiful jabs, really snapping Kessler's head back and also a few decent counter rights when Kessler opens up. Kessler lands a few wildish shots but Froch was the more compact and resourceful in this round for me. (The commentary from Rawling & McKensie is awful by the way, especially McKensie. He gave Kessler the first simply for being the home fighter and thinks Froch should step in behind his jab, which has never been a strength of his )

Round 3- 10-9 Kessler. Good round here, Kessler changes it up as he was losing the battle of the jabs by going to the body first and finding it often. He mixes it up well though with some stiff jabs too. Froch lands a couple of hard shots but Kessler's work was better overall.

Round 4- 10-9 Kessler. Kessler is in control on the front foot behind the jab at the start of the round but Froch responds with a big right hand. Kessler comes back with a nice combo which Froch counters with a uppercut. Rest of the round is untidy but Kessler finishes stronger to take it for me.

Round 5- 10-9 Froch. Huge round for Froch- he just loads up with low hands and lands some big shots, a left hook and straight right the best of the bunch with the right hurting the Dane.

Round 6- 10-9 Froch. Kessler picks up the pace in the first half of the fround but Froch actually evades most of his punches well. Kessler gets through with some decent shots but Froch's flurries are harder and more accurate in the last minute to give him it IMO.

Round 7- 10-10. A quieter round here with neither landing anything significant. Both got through with jabs and a few scuffing shots but neither stood out enough for me to give them the round.

Round 8- 10-9 Kessler. Very good round for the challenger, stalking Froch and landing good punches to head and body. Jolts Froch with a lovely right hand counter to comfortably win the round too.

Round 9- 10-9 Kessler. Kessler is sharp with his punching and lands some good counter shots. Froch gets through with one combination but his punching is generally wide and sloppy. Kessler's consistency gives him the round for me.

Round 10- 10-9 Froch. Good round with both landing, Kessler finishing stronger and working well to the body. But Froch's work in the middle part of the round was very good and he caught him with strong shots to the head. Enough for the round on my card.

Round 11- 10-9 Kessler. Very good round with Kessler starting well and even hooking nicely off his jab. Froch comes back and the two trade well. Kessler lands a big looping right hand before Froch answers with a nice combo. Kessler did just enough to take it for me however.

Round 12- 10-9 Froch. Brawl sums up the last round. Wild swings and hard punches from the outset but neither getting through with a truly clean punch. But Froch really dug deep in the last minute and gets through with some big punches, making Kessler sag onto the ropes. The Dane comes back but it's too little too late for this round IMO.

So I had it 115-114 for Froch this time. It was a really, really close fight and I wouldn't argue with someone having Kessler taking it, though some of the closest rounds I've given to Mikkel here. Kessler's body punching was fantastic and took away the effectiveness of Carl's jab, which was looking excellent early on. But I believe Froch countered well and put together some effective combinations, even if they weren't the most aesthetically pleasing. It was that close that the home fighter was always likely to get it but I tried to be as objective as possible and thought Carl just nicked it.
JFT96 is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2012, 04:40 PM   #5269
unknown1

vCash: 500

Mike Alvarado v bredis Prescott battle of the uppercut
unknown1 is offline  Top
Old 10-27-2012, 05:42 AM   #5270
Sibbo
Journeyman

vCash: 1000

Mike McCallum v Michael Watson

McCallum was awesome in his day and so many avoided him until he aged then they all wanted a shot.
Sibbo is offline  Top
Old 10-27-2012, 05:47 AM   #5271
weegriffin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 3275

I watched Kotelnik vs Witter yesterday and scored it 115-113 to Kotelnik just thought he landed the cleaner more effective punches.
weegriffin is offline  Top
Old 10-27-2012, 07:03 AM   #5272
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Froch-Kessler is a close but clear win for Kessler for me. No doubt.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 10-27-2012, 07:45 AM   #5273
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

I had Kessler by a couple of rounds. The body punches in the middle rounds changed the fight, if i remember correctly. Kessler was shooting this straight right to the solar plexus and it really slowed Frochy down.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Old 10-27-2012, 07:49 AM   #5274
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

I think the reason why Froch complained so bitterly afterwards is because he knew that it was a fight that he should have won.

With a smarter gameplan and a higher workrate he ought to have pulled it off.

I hope they don't rematch down the line, Froch would smash what's left of Mikkel and it'd be a sad fight to watch.

I've watched those clips of a young Ricky Hatton on the other thread, alright the opponents are pretty crap but technically he looked very good, a lot better than the mess he was in the Lazcano and Pac fights.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 10-27-2012, 10:20 AM   #5275
kosaros
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 999

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegriffin View Post
I watched Kotelnik vs Witter yesterday and scored it 115-113 to Kotelnik just thought he landed the cleaner more effective punches.
I had the same card

Witter seemed to throw it away in the 2nd half of the fight.
kosaros is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2012, 12:59 PM   #5276
EnglishWay
KO King 2010
ESB Addict

vCash: 1197

Bradley Saunders vs Ivan Godor
EnglishWay is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2012, 01:37 PM   #5277
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
I had Kessler by a couple of rounds. The body punches in the middle rounds changed the fight, if i remember correctly. Kessler was shooting this straight right to the solar plexus and it really slowed Frochy down.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2012, 01:46 PM   #5278
Espin88
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1229

Tyson vs Holyfield I
Espin88 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum