Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 10-30-2012, 03:03 PM   #1
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847
Default Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Fabricio Werdum (2013)

Quote:
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Fabricio Werdum reportedly have agreed to serve as coaches on the upcoming second season of "The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil."

SportTV first reported the coaches, though UFC officials have made no formal announcement, and MMAjunkie.com ([Only registered and activated users can see links. ]) could not immediately confirm the plans.

According to the report, contracts haven't been signed, but verbal agreements are in place.

"TUF: Brazil 2," which is expected to feature welterweight fighters, begins filming in early 2013 with an expected debut in March 2013. More than 300 UFC hopefuls recently attended in an open tryout in Rio.

"TUF: Brazil" was the first-ever international edition of the long-running reality competition series. The show, which featured Wanderlei Silva and Vitor Belfort, debuted in March and aired on Globo in Brazil (with solid ratings). UFC.com and FUEL TV carried it in the U.S.

Following "TUF: Brazil 2," Nogueira (34-7-1 MMA, 5-3 UFC) and Werdum (16-5-1 MMA, 4-2 UFC) will fight in the tradition season-ending coach-vs.-coach fight. It actually marks a rematch between the two fighters; Nogueira handed Werdum a decision loss at a 2006 PRIDE event in the opening round of an open-weight grand prix.

Since then, Nogueira has won a UFC interim heavyweight title but has alternated between wins and losses in his past seven fights. He most recently submitted Dave Herman at UFC 153 in Rio de Janeiro.

Werdum, meanwhile, signed with the UFC after PRIDE, then moved to Strikeforce (where he upset Antonio Silva and Fedor Emelianenko), and then ultimately returned to the UFC earlier this year. He's on a 5-1 run, which included a TKO win over Mike Russow at UFC 147 in Minas Gerais, Brazil.

Nogueira, of course, was a head coach on "TUF 8." Werdum was an assistant coach for Wanderlei Silva on "TUF: Brazil."

Lyoto Machida and Mauricio "Shogun" Rua had campaigned for "TUF: Brazil 2" coaching slots, but it appears the UFC has gone another direction.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Think that Werdum takes the rematch. I also think that the Werdum of today very likely could have beaten a prime Nog. Werdum had very little striking skill in their first match, and Nog won it with his boxing. Werdum is obviously the better grappler, and at this point, is a more complete striker than Nog, and he seems to be in his prime. Unless Nog catches him on the chin and puts him away, I think Werdum will look pretty dominant.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2012, 03:07 PM   #2
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166
Default Re: Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Fabricio Werdum (2013)

I agree with you, Werdum will win this.....
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2012, 03:08 PM   #3
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Werdum is looking like the best challenger to JDS' crown IMO.

As long as Dan Cormier wants to go through with his ridiculous plan to hit 205.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2012, 03:29 PM   #4
sugarngold
RIDDUM
East Side Guru

vCash: 157

This is a good rematch for the two. Nog seems to be on his way out while Werdum has arguably been unbeaten since he lost to JDS.
sugarngold is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2012, 05:56 PM   #5
Primate
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Can't really see a way for Nog to win this, considering how Werdum has looked lately.

But I'd love to be proven wrong.
Primate is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2012, 08:36 PM   #6
hammerofthor
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Werdum v jnr after this please!!
Shogun and machida would have been good to
hammerofthor is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2012, 09:16 PM   #7
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

JDS probably knocks Werdum out again if they do end up having a rematch. Werdum definitely underestimated him in the first match, though, and came in terribly out of shape.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:50 PM   #8
CarlesX7
Shit got real!
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Love Nog, but he's going to get killed by Werdum at this point.
CarlesX7 is offline  Top
Old 10-31-2012, 02:15 PM   #9
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.
vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Floyd View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Think that Werdum takes the rematch. I also think that the Werdum of today very likely could have beaten a prime Nog. Werdum had very little striking skill in their first match, and Nog won it with his boxing. Werdum is obviously the better grappler, and at this point, is a more complete striker than Nog, and he seems to be in his prime. Unless Nog catches him on the chin and puts him away, I think Werdum will look pretty dominant.
Nah, prime Nog is a solid favourite over all but Fedor IMO.
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 10-31-2012, 02:20 PM   #10
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.

Nog should retire, he`s a shell of himself now, he beat Werdum when both were prime, he`s practically handing Werdum a 1-1 result between the 2 just like Wanderlei handed Rampage a 1-2 after being 2-0 up.
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2012, 09:13 PM   #11
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Considering these two are probably the 1 and 2 ATG BJJ guys in the HW division, it feels a bit weird to say Werdums boxing probably wins this
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2012, 10:17 PM   #12
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
Considering these two are probably the 1 and 2 ATG BJJ guys in the HW division, it feels a bit weird to say Werdums boxing probably wins this
I see what you are saying to a degree, based on some of Werdum's recent wins; but I have to disagree.
It's weird, because it won't be the case. Maybe Werdum's hand speed wins at this point, but it won't be on boxing technique alone. Nogueira has the best boxing technique I've seen out of any heavyweight in mma. Maybe Werdum could mix in some kicks to get things going for him, but I don't see him winning on hands alone. Werdum wings too much from the sides, and Nog is more down the middle.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2012, 10:27 PM   #13
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Im not saying that Werdum is going to be Sugar Ray in there. But I think that Nog on the ground has enough left in him to at least make it a stalemate and most of the scoring will be done on the brief exchanges on the feet. He isnt as quick or as heavy handed to put Nog away as Cain or Mir are, but he can do significant, if fleeting damage

Werdum is heavy handed enough and Nog's boxing has declined, well at least his reactions have, to make the fight a battle for the TD and dominant position on the mat. Nog's stand up won him the 1st encounter, and unfortunately the roles are reversed as too who has the upper hand in that department. It's an interesting fight in that factor, even though Id rather see Werdum fight someone higher up in the top 10
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2012, 10:30 PM   #14
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Werdum will probably look to clinch up and utilize his knees more than box at range, I would think.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:42 PM   #15
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

He probably will Rob. But the smart thing to do would be to avoid the grappling and take advantage of the battle worn Nog's lack of speed, always his biggest weakness. But he has no worries on the ground against Nog so will probably not be wary of the clinch, as he is probably not reluctant to hit the mat in this one. Just cant see Nog taking too many knees in the clinch before e works the TD. He'll probably welcome Nogs trademark inside trip. But as i said, it will probably be a heavy punch that garners a crowd reaction that wins a round in this one, and in tis aspect I favour Fabricio

I hope we get 15 minutes of grappling ala Couture v Nog though
Stoo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum