Old 10-29-2012, 03:10 PM   #1
Espin88
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1229
Default Price/Fury Expert Opinions Article

Couldn't post link but copied the contents of the article:

By Michael J Jones

It could prove to be the biggest domestic rivalry since the days of Nigel Benn and Chris Eubank. Heavyweight prospects David Price and Tyson Fury have been in an entertaining war of words ever since both turned pro a few years ago. Price beat Fury comfortably as an amateur when the Liverpool star was far more seasoned than his novice opponent. These days the bout appears far more evenly poised.

Both are unbeaten, Fury at 19-0 (14) and Price at 14-0 (12) and are similar height at around 6’8”. It is a contest that is bound to create much interest and excitement; Price brings the extensive amateur pedigree, cool head and punching power while Fury seems more fiery, unpredictable and dynamic.

Both men have fights lined up before the end of the year but it is hoped a contest between the two big punchers can happen in the first half of 2013. In the meantime, Livefight asked some familiar names their opinion as to who would be the last man standing in a contest between Liverpool’s Price and Fury.

Jamie McDonnell (world-rated bantamweight contender)-I think it’d be a right ding dong…Price is probably more skilful so, if I had to bet, I’d say him but anything can happen in heavyweight boxing.

Matty Askin (cruiserweight contender)-I really wouldn’t like to say as both are looking well at the minute. It could be the case of whoever lands first but it would be an incredible British fight.

Nick Manners (trainer)-I like Price’s power but I like Tyson’s versatility and that could confuse Price. Price also needs to find his own attack mode as it was the crowd that made him fight (aggressively) early against Harrison, not his instinct. It’s a great fight but I lean slightly toward Fury.

Stephen Jennings (lightweight contender)-I think Price would win easily. Fury leaves his left hand low and David’s best shot is the left hook-right-hand. Once he lands with that it’s over. I think it could be an early night with a Price KO.

Michael Sprott (former British and Commonwealth heavyweight champion)-I am going with Price to win this one by KO for sure; he’s definitely the harder puncher.

Kieran Farrell (Central Area lightweight champion)-The jury is still out on Price’s chin with me. He hasn’t had it tested; he can certainly dish it out but can he take it? I’ll go with Fury as he’s proven both that he can give it and take it by defeating Chisora who put in a bold effort vs Vitali Klitchko. Price hasn’t fought anyone of that calibre yet.

Gary Lockett (trainer and former pro)-I think David Price is too gifted for Tyson Fury but Fury would give him an argument.

Jane Couch (female boxing legend)-I think Price.

Jose Ribalta (former heavyweight contender and Mike Tyson opponent)-I will have to pick Tyson Fury. I would be willing to train Fury as he’ll need a real trainer now he’s stepping up in class.

Chris Byrd (former IBF world heavyweight champion)-It would be a great fight between two big men but I have no pick as of now.

Tony Pace (lightweight contender)-I’d go with David Price.

Shane Thomas (trainer)-I think Price would 'do' Fury in three rounds; too big and too strong. It’d be interesting but Fury wouldn’t be able to cope with the power Price has.

Monte Barrett (former heavyweight contender)-David Price would win.

Spencer Fearon (promoter and former pro)-It’s a good fight but based on current performances, the nation would lean towards Price, but I’m going to surprise people and say Fury. I think it’d be a ‘Rocky 2’ style (double) knock-down with Fury getting to his feet while Price is beaten to the count somewhere around the ninth. I then see Price winning the return to set up a mega fight which I will promote (laughs). Hard-knocks for life!

Colin Hart (acclaimed fight journalist)-Domestically there will be tremendous interest in a Fury-Price fight. It seems the two men have already started the build-up. I just hope that old evil 'boxing politics' doesn't prevent it from happening. A clash between these tremendous punchers is bound to be explosive. The outcome is likely to depend who has the stronger chin. Price seems to be the smoother boxer with the better jab. My feeling is that Price has more power in his punches than Fury and I take him to stop Tyson in three or four rounds. There's no doubt the fight would capture the imagination of the non-boxing public as well as the fans like Haye-Chisora did. I’d love to see it happen.

Danny Williams (former British and Commonwealth heavyweight champion and Mike Tyson conqueror)-As a fight fan it’s a mouth-watering fight but as a British fight fan I hope they don’t fight each other. The Klitschko brothers are nearing the end and I think both men have a good shot at making it at world level. I change my mind about this fight all the time but I think David Price could win. He’s been looking devastating of late. His heart and chin are still unproven but if he has those he’s the complete package.

Junior Witter (British welterweight champion and former world champion)-I think Tyson Fury. Price has been getting everything he needs but I just think Tyson has his number. Price is a good fighter who would beat most of the other prospects but there’s something about Fury in the look in his eyes like he knows he’ll win.

Lewis Rees (light-welterweight prospect)-Personally, I think Price would win inside the distance. When I first got into the GB squad before Beijing, I remember Price getting the better of Fury in sparring. I know they’ve both done a lot since then but David is out-and-out a better boxer in my opinion.

Deontay Wilder (heavyweight prospect): I’d say the best man would win.

Kerry Hope (former European middleweight champion)-I think Price by KO.

Kristian Laight (super-journeyman)-Price! Far too mobile for Fury.

Wayne Alexander (former British and Commonwealth light-middleweight champion)-Very close call but something tells me Fury (will win). Whoever wins I wouldn’t be surprised.

Final tallies-

David Price to win: 13 votes

Tyson Fury to win: 6 votes

Don’t know: 3 votes

Many thanks to everyone who took the time to contribute to this article.
Espin88 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2012, 08:29 PM   #2
JamieC
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Price/Fury Expert Opinions Article

interesting, i really cant make my mind up on this fight, hopefully we'll know more after fury's next fight
JamieC is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2012, 06:51 AM   #3
joegrundy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2592

Deontay Wilder (heavyweight prospect): I’d say the best man would win.

??!? Cheers for that Deontay.
joegrundy is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2012, 07:37 AM   #4
BretN
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Good answer Deotany Wilder
BretN is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2012, 08:29 AM   #5
12downfor10
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 206

spencer fearon
12downfor10 is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2012, 08:50 AM   #6
Espin88
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegrundy View Post
Deontay Wilder (heavyweight prospect): Iíd say the best man would win.

??!? Cheers for that Deontay.
I think he is completely incapable of complimenting another fighter, he beleives he is the strongest and fastest fighter in the division.
Espin88 is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2012, 09:08 AM   #7
perspicacity
Raising The Bar
ESB Addict

vCash: 185000

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
perspicacity is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2012, 12:41 PM   #8
Espin88
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by perspicacity View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Was that the Fury/Chisora press conference?
Espin88 is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2012, 12:52 PM   #9
perspicacity
Raising The Bar
ESB Addict

vCash: 185000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espin88 View Post
Was that the Fury/Chisora press conference?
Aye think so mate, this one is building up nicely, hopefully we'll see some more antics from Fury.

As far as the fight itself goes, I'd have to go with Price stoppage but Tyson will have a go and we may see Price's chin get tested ...
perspicacity is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2012, 12:53 PM   #10
Strike
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1667

Evidently Wilder's insight into potential fights is as impressive as the records of his opponents thus far.
Strike is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2012, 01:05 PM   #11
kosaros
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espin88 View Post
Couldn't post link but copied the contents of the article:

By Michael J Jones

It could prove to be the biggest domestic rivalry since the days of Nigel Benn and Chris Eubank. Heavyweight prospects David Price and Tyson Fury have been in an entertaining war of words ever since both turned pro a few years ago. Price beat Fury comfortably as an amateur when the Liverpool star was far more seasoned than his novice opponent. These days the bout appears far more evenly poised.

Both are unbeaten, Fury at 19-0 (14) and Price at 14-0 (12) and are similar height at around 6í8Ē. It is a contest that is bound to create much interest and excitement; Price brings the extensive amateur pedigree, cool head and punching power while Fury seems more fiery, unpredictable and dynamic.

Both men have fights lined up before the end of the year but it is hoped a contest between the two big punchers can happen in the first half of 2013. In the meantime, Livefight asked some familiar names their opinion as to who would be the last man standing in a contest between Liverpoolís Price and Fury.

Jamie McDonnell (world-rated bantamweight contender)-I think itíd be a right ding dongÖPrice is probably more skilful so, if I had to bet, Iíd say him but anything can happen in heavyweight boxing.

Matty Askin (cruiserweight contender)-I really wouldnít like to say as both are looking well at the minute. It could be the case of whoever lands first but it would be an incredible British fight.

Nick Manners (trainer)-I like Priceís power but I like Tysonís versatility and that could confuse Price. Price also needs to find his own attack mode as it was the crowd that made him fight (aggressively) early against Harrison, not his instinct. Itís a great fight but I lean slightly toward Fury.

Stephen Jennings (lightweight contender)-I think Price would win easily. Fury leaves his left hand low and Davidís best shot is the left hook-right-hand. Once he lands with that itís over. I think it could be an early night with a Price KO.

Michael Sprott (former British and Commonwealth heavyweight champion)-I am going with Price to win this one by KO for sure; heís definitely the harder puncher.

Kieran Farrell (Central Area lightweight champion)-The jury is still out on Priceís chin with me. He hasnít had it tested; he can certainly dish it out but can he take it? Iíll go with Fury as heís proven both that he can give it and take it by defeating Chisora who put in a bold effort vs Vitali Klitchko. Price hasnít fought anyone of that calibre yet.

Gary Lockett (trainer and former pro)-I think David Price is too gifted for Tyson Fury but Fury would give him an argument.

Jane Couch (female boxing legend)-I think Price.

Jose Ribalta (former heavyweight contender and Mike Tyson opponent)-I will have to pick Tyson Fury. I would be willing to train Fury as heíll need a real trainer now heís stepping up in class.

Chris Byrd (former IBF world heavyweight champion)-It would be a great fight between two big men but I have no pick as of now.

Tony Pace (lightweight contender)-Iíd go with David Price.

Shane Thomas (trainer)-I think Price would 'do' Fury in three rounds; too big and too strong. Itíd be interesting but Fury wouldnít be able to cope with the power Price has.

Monte Barrett (former heavyweight contender)-David Price would win.

Spencer Fearon (promoter and former pro)-Itís a good fight but based on current performances, the nation would lean towards Price, but Iím going to surprise people and say Fury. I think itíd be a ĎRocky 2í style (double) knock-down with Fury getting to his feet while Price is beaten to the count somewhere around the ninth. I then see Price winning the return to set up a mega fight which I will promote (laughs). Hard-knocks for life!

Colin Hart (acclaimed fight journalist)-Domestically there will be tremendous interest in a Fury-Price fight. It seems the two men have already started the build-up. I just hope that old evil 'boxing politics' doesn't prevent it from happening. A clash between these tremendous punchers is bound to be explosive. The outcome is likely to depend who has the stronger chin. Price seems to be the smoother boxer with the better jab. My feeling is that Price has more power in his punches than Fury and I take him to stop Tyson in three or four rounds. There's no doubt the fight would capture the imagination of the non-boxing public as well as the fans like Haye-Chisora did. Iíd love to see it happen.

Danny Williams (former British and Commonwealth heavyweight champion and Mike Tyson conqueror)-As a fight fan itís a mouth-watering fight but as a British fight fan I hope they donít fight each other. The Klitschko brothers are nearing the end and I think both men have a good shot at making it at world level. I change my mind about this fight all the time but I think David Price could win. Heís been looking devastating of late. His heart and chin are still unproven but if he has those heís the complete package.

Junior Witter (British welterweight champion and former world champion)-I think Tyson Fury. Price has been getting everything he needs but I just think Tyson has his number. Price is a good fighter who would beat most of the other prospects but thereís something about Fury in the look in his eyes like he knows heíll win.

Lewis Rees (light-welterweight prospect)-Personally, I think Price would win inside the distance. When I first got into the GB squad before Beijing, I remember Price getting the better of Fury in sparring. I know theyíve both done a lot since then but David is out-and-out a better boxer in my opinion.

Deontay Wilder (heavyweight prospect): Iíd say the best man would win.

Kerry Hope (former European middleweight champion)-I think Price by KO.

Kristian Laight (super-journeyman)-Price! Far too mobile for Fury.

Wayne Alexander (former British and Commonwealth light-middleweight champion)-Very close call but something tells me Fury (will win). Whoever wins I wouldnít be surprised.

Final tallies-

David Price to win: 13 votes

Tyson Fury to win: 6 votes

Donít know: 3 votes

Many thanks to everyone who took the time to contribute to this article.
Good read. Thanks for posting
kosaros is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2012, 01:07 PM   #12
Decy
Barely Coherent
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

I doubt Colin Hart is even acclaimed by his own family.
Decy is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2012, 01:22 PM   #13
Espin88
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by perspicacity View Post
Aye think so mate, this one is building up nicely, hopefully we'll see some more antics from Fury.

As far as the fight itself goes, I'd have to go with Price stoppage but Tyson will have a go and we may see Price's chin get tested ...
I'm sure Fury will have alot more where that came from he seems to attract alot of casual fans with his trash talking ive seen women who know nothing about boxing watch his fights with great interest and football fans talk about him like he's the next Lennox. As for the result i agree Price stops Fury, should be a war though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strike View Post
Evidently Wilder's insight into potential fights is as impressive as the records of his opponents thus far.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosaros View Post
Good read. Thanks for posting
No problem mate.
Espin88 is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #14
brickfists
The Nonpareil
ESB Addict

vCash: 542

Until price beats a live dog the jury is out on him, he can keep fighting the likes of Harrison and Skelton while Fury will continue doing his thing with real threats like Chisora and Boystov
brickfists is offline  Top
Old 10-31-2012, 04:16 AM   #15
adam249390
a249390
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickfists View Post
Until price beats a live dog the jury is out on him, he can keep fighting the likes of Harrison and Skelton while Fury will continue doing his thing with real threats like Chisora and Boystov

and rogan & maddalone
adam249390 is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum