Edision Miranda via T/KO 12 26.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-30-2012, 12:56 AM   #1
WatchfortheHook
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1894
Default Fight that never happened 2007: Jermain Taylor vs Edison Miranda

So, now that we're almost out of 2012, and the dust on the careers of JT and Edison Miranda have pretty much settled to a degree(meaning, things aren't likely to get better for either of them). How do you suspect this fight would have gone down back in 2007 (say, before Miranda fought Pavlik).

The momentum for both guys (prior to Mirandas fight with Pavlik) were going in opposite directions. Even though Taylor was winning, he wasn't looking particularly impressive. He was struggling with smaller fighters. And even though he drew with Winky Wright, Winky was getting long in the tooth and JT was expected to win and some consider the decision suspect. And...he was gassing in fights consistently before Pavlik came along to take full advantage of it.

The perception on Miranda was that his one loss was a robbery situation in Germany. That he was improving slightly as a boxer but could be like a lion in the ring with his heavy hands and Miranda was able to boss SMW Allan Green around (probably seemed better at the time than it does now).

So, does Taylor's knack for gassing in fights and vulnerability to right hands cost him against the heavy handed Miranda? Or does is he able to survive the onslaught and win?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS7HuQlz0H8[/ame]

Last edited by WatchfortheHook; 10-30-2012 at 06:34 PM. Reason: video
WatchfortheHook is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2012, 01:11 AM   #2
The Mangler
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Fight that never happened 2007: Jermain Taylor vs Edison Miranda

I thought Miranda was gonna knock Taylor's head off at the time.

I thought he rightfully beat AA in the 1st fight, who I saw as a better fighter than Taylor. Taylor's defense was leaky and he holds his lead hand low, so Miranda could definitely get to him with his big right hand.
The Mangler is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2012, 01:26 AM   #3
booradley
Mean People Kick Ass!
East Side VIP

vCash: 622

JT would have boxed Pantera's ears off in a 118-110 type fight.
booradley is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2012, 01:29 AM   #4
motownsiu
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

jt would box his nappy head off. i wish broner was in the same weight class as him so after broner kos him his dad can brush miranda's hair.
motownsiu is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2012, 01:36 AM   #5
booradley
Mean People Kick Ass!
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownsiu View Post
jt would box his nappy head off. i wish broner was in the same weight class as him so after broner kos him his dad can brush miranda's hair.
That was some funny shit!! "You wanna be a champion? Why don't you dress like a champion? Go put a suit on, and BRUSH YOUR DAMN HAIR!!"

Thanks for bringing it up!
Old 10-30-2012, 01:43 AM   #6
o_money
Champion
East Side Guru

Would have wanted to have seen Pavlik vs AA while they were ruling 160 lbs.
o_money is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2012, 01:45 AM   #7
o_money
Champion
East Side Guru

Looking back on Miranda's career I have no doubt he would have lost. The AA fight was a high water mark for him. After that his biggest battle was with the scales and he was never the same fighter.
o_money is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2012, 01:49 AM   #8
motownsiu
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by booradley View Post
That was some funny shit!! "You wanna be a champion? Why don't you dress like a champion? Go put a suit on, and BRUSH YOUR DAMN HAIR!!"

Thanks for bringing it up!
that was the first thing i thought about when i saw this thread was jt saying that. it's almost as funny as dawson telling pascal to sit down with your tight pants.
motownsiu is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2012, 01:51 AM   #9
WatchfortheHook
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
JT would have boxed Pantera's ears off in a 118-110 type fight.
So you don't think JT's penchant for fading, inconsistent fighting over the course of 12 rounds(not shooting out the jab to save energy, having feet of stone for lengths of time, etc.) having a low right hand with his head dipping down, and habit of backing straight up into the ropes under pressure would have no issue for Taylor?

Now, what we learned in the Pavlik-Miranda fight(which occurs after this fictional fight) is that Miranda absolutely sucks at fighting off the backfoot. Just looks totally uncoordinated, uncomfortable, oh, and he goes straight back into the ropes as well. So, with JT being taller, I could see him pushing Miranda back based upon his physical attributes....I just don't think he would do it. The first portion of the fight, I think JT wins 3 of the first 4 rounds, just too much speed and agression at the outset. But anything after the 5th or 6th round.....
Old 10-30-2012, 01:52 AM   #10
Porgeous Porge
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

At the time i really felt Miranda would KO him cold

it appeared he really over looked Pavlik and hasnt been the same since

i feel the Miranda that fought Pavlik that night vs Taylor of the Spinks fight had a real chance in rounds 1-4

Taylor was easy to hit with a straight right and Miranda had thunderous power

if Taylor got by the 4th Mirandas chances decrease heavily, then again its not like Taylor is a strong second half fighter

i dont think Miranda could handle a long fight but the chance was there early
Porgeous Porge is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2012, 02:01 AM   #11
booradley
Mean People Kick Ass!
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchfortheHook View Post
So you don't think JT's penchant for fading, inconsistent fighting over the course of 12 rounds(not shooting out the jab to save energy, having feet of stone for lengths of time, etc.) having a low right hand with his head dipping down, and habit of backing straight up into the ropes under pressure would have no issue for Taylor?

Now, what we learned in the Pavlik-Miranda fight(which occurs after this fictional fight) is that Miranda absolutely sucks at fighting off the backfoot. Just looks totally uncoordinated, uncomfortable, oh, and he goes straight back into the ropes as well. So, with JT being taller, I could see him pushing Miranda back based upon his physical attributes....I just don't think he would do it. The first portion of the fight, I think JT wins 3 of the first 4 rounds, just too much speed and agression at the outset. But anything after the 5th or 6th round.....
Have you considered how much Miranda sucked when he fell behind in a fight? He intentionally fouled AA enough times to lose 4 points. He lost points against Pavlik. He acted a fool and Bute KOed him, et, et. By the time JT starting fading it wouldn't matter because Miranda would be completely muckfuddled!
Old 10-30-2012, 06:06 PM   #12
WatchfortheHook
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Have you considered how much Miranda sucked when he fell behind in a fight? He intentionally fouled AA enough times to lose 4 points. He lost points against Pavlik. He acted a fool and Bute KOed him, et, et. By the time JT starting fading it wouldn't matter because Miranda would be completely muckfuddled!
He definitely blew it against AA. However, if I remember correctly his point deduction against Pavlik was spitting out his mouthpiece to buy himself time from the onslaught. And against Bute, well, he's often done some kind of taunting with many of his opponents, this one just totally blew up in his face.

Anyways, I haven't made up my mind on it yet. But, if you're a fighter that fades late in a fight I don't think sharing a ring with a big puncher (or good pressure fighter) is the best place to be. Considering Taylor went between 2005-2011(which is the reason I'm surprised people are picking Taylor by T/KO here) without TKO'ing anybody, I think Miranda will be on his feet late in the fight and Taylor will be fading. I obviously don't think Miranda decisions Taylor, but if he's able to knock him out late in the fight, he wouldn't need the decision.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:36 PM   #13
Ring Master
The Originator
East Side Guru

vCash: 818

Miranda was dead at the weight by the time he got to Pavlik. JT would have beat him imo.
Ring Master is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2012, 06:38 PM   #14
MrMagic
Super Six
East Side VIP

JT back then was something else.

He'd tear that overhyped loudmouth apart, I have little doubt about it.
MrMagic is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2012, 06:44 PM   #15
p.Townend
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 100

I think Taylor would have beaten Miranda but not looked that good or convincing. Too much skill and wins a unanimous decision. Would have been boring I reckon,round after round of the same thing with Taylor being too slick and too fast for a ponderous Miranda who would be trying to land one big shot.
Taylor by boring,wide ud.
p.Townend is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum