Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2012, 03:23 PM   #16
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,102
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Pros/Cons of this Push-up Routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Andrade View Post
I've done already told you he will just say its wrong and won't work. Good look getting some reasoning and logic behind his "answers".
Lol. Who are you?
viru§™ is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2012, 06:41 AM   #17
Brand NOOBian
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 195
vCash: 500
Default Re: Pros/Cons of this Push-up Routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
Mate, I didn't even read your last post, I mean clearly you know more than me, I'm only trained in this.

If you want to waste your time doing this randomly slapped together routine go ahead.
I'm not trying to say that you're wrong and I'm right. Nor am I trying to argue that the routine I came up with is a good one. Yes, it is a randomly slapped together routine, which I said in the original post. Personally, I felt like I got a good workout out of it, but I wanted to hear some opinions from people more knowledgable. Never have I claimed to know more than you, or anyone else for that matter. You, on the other hand, just like D_Andrade said you would, just keep saying that this routine is pointless without saying anything AT ALL as to why it's pointless. Unless you do so, it's pointless to keep saying that it's pointless without saying why it's pointless. So point less fingers and drop some of that knowledge on me. Then I'll gladly stfu about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brand NOOBian View Post
As for the push-ups, I thought the explosive nature of alternating medicine ball, medicine ball, spartan (youtube it), and clap push-ups would help with explosiveness and/or speed and/or strength. That's why I asked the initial question, to get some feedback from people who might know more than I do. Again, if I'm wrong, please enlighten me.


Although I agree with your statement, the example you gave is completely irrelevant. Obviously doing arm curls will be pointless in training quads, just as doing squats would be pointless in training arms. But it's not like I asked if this push-up routine will help me run faster or jump higher or some other totally unrelated thing. I just asked for the pros and cons. But if I'm doing push-ups, it's not hard to infer that I'm trying to train chest/triceps. So how is the push-up routine I posted "pointless" in this aspect? Please enlighten me.


Since you are so wise in your structuring of your exercise routines that have a strong foundation in reasoning and an actual point, please suggest a way that, in your opinion, I can improve upon my routine, instead of just saying it's pointless and not offering any advice/suggestions.

And if something is pointless, doing it and not doing it should have the same result. i.e. punching a wall and not breaking it is the same as not punching the wall and not breaking it. The wall remains unbroken regardless of whether you punch it or not. Therefore, punching the wall is pointless. So are you saying that doing this push-up routine would be equivalent to not doing it all?
Brand NOOBian is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:32 AM   #18
Primate
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,415
vCash: 500
Default Re: Pros/Cons of this Push-up Routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brand NOOBian View Post
You, on the other hand, just like D_Andrade said you would, just keep saying that this routine is pointless without saying anything AT ALL as to why it's pointless. Unless you do so, it's pointless to keep saying that it's pointless without saying why it's pointless. So point less fingers and drop some of that knowledge on me. Then I'll gladly stfu about this.

You asked for pro/cons of the routine you posted.
Your training should be goal oriented.
The pros/cons of your routine will be determined by your goals.

If your goal is to get really good at doing lots of push ups, then that is a stellar routine.

If your goal is virtually anything other than that, then that routine is almost entirely pointless.

Pro - You'll get really good at push ups

Con - You'll only get really good at push ups
Primate is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:31 AM   #19
Brand NOOBian
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 195
vCash: 500
Default Re: Pros/Cons of this Push-up Routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primate View Post
You asked for pro/cons of the routine you posted.
Your training should be goal oriented.
The pros/cons of your routine will be determined by your goals.

If your goal is to get really good at doing lots of push ups, then that is a stellar routine.

If your goal is virtually anything other than that, then that routine is almost entirely pointless.

Pro - You'll get really good at push ups

Con - You'll only get really good at push ups
Okay. That at least gives me some more insight without being condescending. I agree that training should be goal oriented. As I said before, my goal was never to do a lot of push-ups just for the sake of doing a lot of push-ups. I just kept upping the reps over time because they were getting easier to do and I needed a way to make it more challenging. That's also why I threw in a bunch of different variations that are harder for me to do. And I thought the explosive nature of some of the push-up styles would help with explosiveness and/or speed and/or strength.

So the routine I posted won't help AT ALL with any of this? Wouldn't most of the push-up variations I posted be considered plyometric push-ups, which are supposed to help build explosiveness, speed, and strength? That's the part I'm still confused about. What specifically is it about the routine that would only help in doing a lot of push-ups and nothing else? I'm not trying to be a defensive dick. I'm genuinely interested in knowing why it won't help in the areas I mentioned above and what I can do differently.

So to sum everything up and put it more simply, I'm limited to bodyweight exercises, a medicine ball, and light DBs but would like a way to work out my chest to increase strength, and increased speed/explosiveness would be nice too. Any suggestions?
Brand NOOBian is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:45 AM   #20
Bazzel
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 496
vCash: 500
Default Re: Pros/Cons of this Push-up Routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brand NOOBian View Post
Okay. That at least gives me some more insight without being condescending. I agree that training should be goal oriented. As I said before, my goal was never to do a lot of push-ups just for the sake of doing a lot of push-ups. I just kept upping the reps over time because they were getting easier to do and I needed a way to make it more challenging. That's also why I threw in a bunch of different variations that are harder for me to do. And I thought the explosive nature of some of the push-up styles would help with explosiveness and/or speed and/or strength.

So the routine I posted won't help AT ALL with any of this? Wouldn't most of the push-up variations I posted be considered plyometric push-ups, which are supposed to help build explosiveness, speed, and strength? That's the part I'm still confused about. What specifically is it about the routine that would only help in doing a lot of push-ups and nothing else? I'm not trying to be a defensive dick. I'm genuinely interested in knowing why it won't help in the areas I mentioned above and what I can do differently.

So to sum everything up and put it more simply, I'm limited to bodyweight exercises, a medicine ball, and light DBs but would like a way to work out my chest to increase strength, and increased speed/explosiveness would be nice too. Any suggestions?
One armed push ups? Its in the S&C for boxing sticky
Bazzel is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:54 AM   #21
Brand NOOBian
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 195
vCash: 500
Default Re: Pros/Cons of this Push-up Routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzel View Post
One armed push ups? Its in the S&C for boxing sticky
Totally forgot about that sticky. Thanks for reminding me.
Brand NOOBian is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:55 PM   #22
cambay411
newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 48
vCash: 500
Default Re: Pros/Cons of this Push-up Routine

Hey Brian, the pros of your push up routine is that you will get gains in size and definition in your chest and arms. When you first start any new work out you will see gains until your body adapts to that workout then your gains will slow down dramatically. So a con with a push up routine is it is kind of boring and there are some limits as compared to if you had some wieghts. That being said there are so many variations of push ups to mix it up with so you should be good for a while (and if your just wanting to condition your upper body push ups wil lalways be good).

Another pro of your routine is conditioning your upper body. No matter what it will keep your upper body conditioned.

There is really not too many cons of a push up routine, unless your main goal is putting on all kinds of muslce mass.
cambay411 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:02 PM   #23
hardright
newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: easton p.a.
Posts: 9
vCash: 500
Default Re: Pros/Cons of this Push-up Routine

alot of egos in these forums now. if your experienced or not just help the man. smh
hardright is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #24
Primate
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,415
vCash: 500
Default Re: Pros/Cons of this Push-up Routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brand NOOBian View Post
So to sum everything up and put it more simply, I'm limited to bodyweight exercises, a medicine ball, and light DBs but would like a way to work out my chest to increase strength, and increased speed/explosiveness would be nice too. Any suggestions?
Start looking at one arm variations. Start adding weight (a back back loaded up with your DBs or bottles of water or whatever). You said you had a pull up bar. Invest in or build a set of gymnastic rings to hang from the pull up bar and start looking at variations using them, including weighted dips.
You've got a med ball. Go to the park and slam it/throw it around. This will increase your explosiveness. For loads of ideas and knowledge regarding working out with limited equipment and/or space I highly recommend Ross Enamaits Never Gymless. It's cheap and packs in heaps of great stuff.
Primate is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013