Boxing News 24 Forum
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 11-01-2012, 01:24 PM   #16
jimmyonebomb
Journeyman

vCash: 500
Default Re: The ATG fighter's didnt need no stinkin' Strength and conditioners

At the higher levels of amatuer and in the pros, yes think they could be great.

But feel at a lower level you should use your time more effectively shadow boxing, getting fit, an sharpening skills. For example i will be having my first fight staurday, but also have a job were i reguarly work 12 hours a day, have a young baby etc, so if i get a precious hour a day to train, then ill base it as much on actual boxing with circuts mixed in as possible rather than strength training like squat, weighted pull ups etc. If i had time id do it all and become a contender!!!
jimmyonebomb is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2012, 09:16 AM   #17
cambay411

Honestly, Chavez probably did have a S&C coach. I dont see very many pro fighters (MMA or Boxing) making it too far without a S&C coach or a coach that has solid S&C knowledge.

A pro fighter without a good S&C program would be like a pro basketball team from the 60's that practiced little to no S&C going up against a pro basketball team from today.

Its not that the teams back then werent as athletic and didnt stay in great shape. Its just that today they have S&C so fine tuned it makes what they did back then look ridiculous. Not only that they have S&C fine tuned to specific sports so a fighters S&C program isnt exacty the same as a basketball players or football players S&C program.

Alot of people say the S&C they have today overtrains people. Its actually the opposite, back in the day the attitude was the more you work the more you gain and the way the worked back then caused way more overtraining than the way we do today.
cambay411 is offline  Top
Old 11-02-2012, 04:30 PM   #18
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Alot of people say the S&C they have today overtrains people. Its actually the opposite, back in the day the attitude was the more you work the more you gain and the way the worked back then caused way more overtraining than the way we do today.[/quot
Dont agree there, they knew what they were doing in most cases. My thoughts when young were the same. But over the years talking to the old School, make no mistake, they knew what they were doing as regards condition. They knew when Guys were over trained.
scrap is offline  Top
Old 11-02-2012, 05:19 PM   #19
dempsey1234
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap View Post
Alot of people say the S&C they have today overtrains people. Its actually the opposite, back in the day the attitude was the more you work the more you gain and the way the worked back then caused way more overtraining than the way we do today.[/quot
Dont agree there, they knew what they were doing in most cases. My thoughts when young were the same. But over the years talking to the old School, make no mistake, they knew what they were doing as regards condition. They knew when Guys were over trained.
Trainers back in the day did everything, including rubdowns. They didn't have college degrees, or fancy credentials but they knew what they knew through watching and learning and gathering experience. I would say they were pretty successful, look at the long list of HOF, and ATG's they trained without no stinkin' S&C guys. I am not totally anti-S&C guys, I feel they have a place on a team. Lets put it like this, a good boxing coach doesn't need a S&C guy as much as the S&C guy needs a good boxing coach.
dempsey1234 is offline  Top
Old 11-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #20
tliang1000
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 95000

It seems nowadays, they are hired to make some tonics
tliang1000 is offline  Top
Old 11-02-2012, 06:02 PM   #21
cambay411

Quote:

Yeah I agree Scrap, when it comes to good coaches especially. I just meant today it is common knowledge that rest is better alot of times. Where as back in the day many coaches could of had a push push push attitude and had no knowledge otherwise (not neccessarily boxing but in sports as a whole).
Old 11-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #22
cambay411

Quote:
Originally Posted by dempsey1234 View Post
Lets put it like this, a good boxing coach doesn't need a S&C guy as much as the S&C guy needs a good boxing coach.

I agree, there has always been S&C, the only difference is today more people specialize in S&C and the overall knowldedge we have on S&C far exceeds that of what was readily available back then.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #23
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambay411 View Post
Yeah I agree Scrap, when it comes to good coaches especially. I just meant today it is common knowledge that rest is better alot of times. Where as back in the day many coaches could of had a push push push attitude and had no knowledge otherwise (not neccessarily boxing but in sports as a whole).
Look at Jesse Owens in 36, as an example. His Olympic time stood till 1960, and it was not a cinder Track, that it was beaten on. equipment has improved for sure. I use to get invited by a University, which has supposedly the Best Sports Science Department, in the Country. Too discuss the practicality, off what they had learned, Final year students, they were. They had no concept of the practical appliance, of what they had learned, it shook me.
scrap is offline  Top
Old 11-02-2012, 07:51 PM   #24
cambay411

Quote:
Look at Jesse Owens in 36, as an example. His Olympic time stood till 1960, and it was not a cinder Track, that it was beaten on. equipment has improved for sure. I use to get invited by a University, which has supposedly the Best Sports Science Department, in the Country. Too discuss the practicality, off what they had learned, Final year students, they were. They had no concept of the practical appliance, of what they had learned, it shook me.

It seems they were at least trying to get people in there who had knowledge on applying what they learned lol. Thats crazy they didnt know anything tho.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #25
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
What university students in any field have a concept of the practical appliance of what they learned? Especially something as multifaceted as sports science.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #26
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
What university students in any field have a concept of the practical appliance of what they learned? Especially something as multifaceted as sports science.
I suppose so , thing is theres not many do, according to one Guy I know that do. He was asked to take over probably, one of the.biggest jobs in Sport. Two weeks later, when was He starting I asked. He said He wasnt because, it would take Him, 18 months to Sack the lot of them, they had not got a clue.
scrap is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #27
cambay411

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post

Good point...
Old 11-05-2012, 01:01 PM   #28
dempsey1234
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambay411 View Post
Good point...
Thats right but thats the first thing they throw at you, their credentials, "I have a master's degree in S&C, from Sakkachips university, and have worked with all kinds of athletes, Hockey Players, football players, basketball, and baseball." Thats fine have you ever trained a boxer? "Er' no but his muscle fiber, twitch muscles, explosive power, blah, blah, blah". Actual conversation with an S&C coach.
dempsey1234 is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2012, 04:02 PM   #29
pecho26
ESB Lurker
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 515

Quote:
Originally Posted by dempsey1234 View Post
Thats right but thats the first thing they throw at you, their credentials, "I have a master's degree in S&C, from Sakkachips university, and have worked with all kinds of athletes, Hockey Players, football players, basketball, and baseball." Thats fine have you ever trained a boxer? "Er' no but his muscle fiber, twitch muscles, explosive power, blah, blah, blah". Actual conversation with an S&C coach.
And your point is?
pecho26 is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2012, 05:47 PM   #30
highguard
Contender
ESB Senior Member

why hasnt anyone mentioned that those ATG's
fought others just like them who
who also did not use S and C coaches

so that kills the whole point of your thread