Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


View Poll Results: Dempsey v Haye
Dempsey wins 55 71.43%
Haye wins 22 28.57%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2012, 10:05 AM   #136
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: England, Up North
Posts: 22,611
vCash: 330
Default Re: Haye v Dempsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
Did he really unify the cw division ? He beat two of the titlists. He didn't fight the IBF champion. He didn't do much to establish himself as the best available challenger for Wlad - I mean, he was not a stand-out challenger in pure fighting terms. He was just the latest in a long line of undistinguished challengers. He established himself as a big payday. He held the WBA title - but so did Valuev, and Ruiz. He was just successor to those old relics. Wlad should have had that WBA belt anyway, since beating Chagaev, but the WBA have some funny rules.
yes jmm unified with Braithwaite and bell. Hate knocked him out and further unified with enzo. He was wholly unified.

He was quite clearly the standout challenger to wlad as anyone following the sport could tell you.
lufcrazy is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2012, 10:10 AM   #137
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,575
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Haye v Dempsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Yes the IBF was plastic having been stripped from the Bell-Mormeck unification, no he didn't beat 'titlists' he beat the man in the division and a titlist too

That's fine. But beating Mormeck amounts to zero in the heavyweight scheme. Of course it's probably still better than beating Audley Harrison.

Quote:
Anyway Dempsey fans downplaying Haye's record when Dempsey's is just as bad especially with the losses to fatboy Meehan
Meehan danced and spoiled his way to a couple of decisions in 4-round charity bouts. Dempsey had him down and almost out in the last fight. Yes, it hurts Dempsey's reputation. But of course nothing like that would happen to Haye. He hardly ever fights, nevermind going on tour fighting professionals for charity.
It's silly to compare.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:18 AM   #138
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: England, Up North
Posts: 22,611
vCash: 330
Default Re: Haye v Dempsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
That's fine. But beating Mormeck amounts to zero in the heavyweight scheme. Of course it's probably still better than beating Audley Harrison.



Meehan danced and spoiled his way to a couple of decisions in 4-round charity bouts. Dempsey had him down and almost out in the last fight. Yes, it hurts Dempsey's reputation. But of course nothing like that would happen to Haye. He hardly ever fights, nevermind going on tour fighting professionals for charity.
It's silly to compare.
The majority of jacks best victories took place below the cruiser limit.

Fulton, firpo and Willard aren't exactly leagues above value, Ruiz and chisora.
lufcrazy is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:21 AM   #139
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,575
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Haye v Dempsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
He was quite clearly the standout challenger to wlad as anyone following the sport could tell you.
What had he done to STAND OUT ?
(Apart from shoot his mouth off.)

Ruiz was his best win. Ruiz hadn't a win over a legit contender in years. 38 years old, a relic, never exactly a killer. He had a pedestrian win over Adnan Serin in the previous 20 months. He was no longer relevant.
That's Haye's best win.

.. or Valuev. Haye pipped the giant in uninspiring fashion, a fighter who'd been lucky to get decision over 46 year-old Holyfield.


^ THAT IS IT.
If I mention any of Haye's other HW wins, nothing good can be said. They are best forgotten.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:28 AM   #140
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: England, Up North
Posts: 22,611
vCash: 330
Default Re: Haye v Dempsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
What had he done to STAND OUT ?
(Apart from shoot his mouth off.)

Ruiz was his best win. Ruiz hadn't a win over a legit contender in years. 38 years old, a relic, never exactly a killer. He had a pedestrian win over Adnan Serin in the previous 20 months. He was no longer relevant.
That's Haye's best win.

.. or Valuev. Haye pipped the giant in uninspiring fashion, a fighter who'd been lucky to get decision over 46 year-old Holyfield.


^ THAT IS IT.
If I mention any of Haye's other HW wins, nothing good can be said. They are best forgotten.
Hmm you saved me the bother of having to answer.

That's what established him as standout, combined with his cw unification.
lufcrazy is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:34 AM   #141
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,575
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Haye v Dempsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
The majority of jacks best victories took place below the cruiser limit.
That's true. I'd pick Dempsey's sub-200 men over Haye's.


Quote:
Fulton, firpo and Willard aren't exactly leagues above value, Ruiz and chisora.
I rate Chisora as Haye's best win, all things considered.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:36 AM   #142
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,575
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Haye v Dempsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
Hmm you saved me the bother of having to answer.

That's what established him as standout, combined with his cw unification.
Strange's definition of "stand out".
Beating two relics who were hardly relevant any more.

Like I said, Haye stood out because of his mouth. Is that was you are refering too ?
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #143
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: England, Up North
Posts: 22,611
vCash: 330
Default Re: Haye v Dempsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
Strange's definition of "stand out".
Beating two relics who were hardly relevant any more.

Like I said, Haye stood out because of his mouth. Is that was you are refering too ?
the definition of stand out is that it was a fight everyone wanted to see. Hate unified cw and then defeated Barret, value, and Ruiz to secure a consensus number 3 ranking.

It's a very recent fight, I'm surprised you don't recall the demand for the fight.
lufcrazy is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:50 AM   #144
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Haye v Dempsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
That's fine. But beating Mormeck amounts to zero in the heavyweight scheme. Of course it's probably still better than beating Audley Harrison.

Meehan danced and spoiled his way to a couple of decisions in 4-round charity bouts. Dempsey had him down and almost out in the last fight. Yes, it hurts Dempsey's reputation. But of course nothing like that would happen to Haye. He hardly ever fights, nevermind going on tour fighting professionals for charity.
It's silly to compare.
Audley was a joke fight, but if you look at it, was a European champion really less than a weight lifter cum boxer in Firpo?

As mentioned Dempsey himself only had 3-4 significant fights against 200+ pound men, Mormeck was bigger than most of his opponents

Both Haye and Dempsey became semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
Strange's definition of "stand out".
Beating two relics who were hardly relevant any more.

Like I said, Haye stood out because of his mouth. Is that was you are refering too ?
Both Ruiz/Valuev were around the same age as Willard and equally as successful in their era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
I rate Chisora as Haye's best win, all things considered.
I'd agree, as a performance, I think Chisora is overall his best HW opponent, against a bigger pressure fighter who stylistically doesn't suit him
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:52 AM   #145
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,575
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Haye v Dempsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
the definition of stand out is that it was a fight everyone wanted to see. Hate unified cw and then defeated Barret, value, and Ruiz to secure a consensus number 3 ranking.

It's a very recent fight, I'm surprised you don't recall the demand for the fight.
I've never doubted the demand for the fight.

What I said was : "He didn't do much to establish himself as the best available challenger for Wlad - I mean, he was not a stand-out challenger in pure fighting terms."

The never said he didn't stand out in publicity terms. In fact I'm at pains to explain that that is very much what he did !

Unforgiven is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #146
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: England, Up North
Posts: 22,611
vCash: 330
Default Re: Haye v Dempsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
I've never doubted the demand for the fight.

What I said was : "He didn't do much to establish himself as the best available challenger for Wlad - I mean, he was not a stand-out challenger in pure fighting terms."

The never said he didn't stand out in publicity terms. In fact I'm at pains to explain that that is very much what he did !

Well unifying the cw division and beating Barret, valuev and Ruiz was enough obviously as Boone else in the did any more than that.
lufcrazy is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:02 AM   #147
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,575
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Haye v Dempsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Audley was a joke fight, but if you look at it, was a European champion really less than a weight lifter cum boxer in Firpo?
Yes, Audley was less than Firpo. By a big margin.
Audley was somehow a European champion but there were dozens of fighters in Europe you'd expect to beat him from pillar to post. There's probably men in Audley's local area who could beat him.
Seriously.

Quote:

Both Ruiz/Valuev were around the same age as Willard and equally as successful in their era
Haye didn't beat them in the same manner as Dempsey thrashed Willard.

Honestly, if Haye had destroyed Valuev in a few rounds, I'd be rating him a lot higher. There's no evidence that he was good enough to do it.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:07 AM   #148
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,575
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Haye v Dempsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
Well unifying the cw division and beating Barret, valuev and Ruiz was enough obviously as Boone else in the did any more than that.
As I said : "He was just the latest in a long line of undistinguished challengers."

He did enough to qualify in division of mediocre contenders.
To me, that's different to being a "STAND OUT".
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:16 AM   #149
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: England, Up North
Posts: 22,611
vCash: 330
Default Re: Haye v Dempsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
As I said : "He was just the latest in a long line of undistinguished challengers."

He did enough to qualify in division of mediocre contenders.
To me, that's different to being a "STAND OUT".
Well as a challenger he stood out above the others. Id argue that as a former unified champion he was actually distinguished.
lufcrazy is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013