Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2012, 03:06 PM   #1
swingin
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,501
vCash: 500
Default john siriotis and other 'forgotten' aussie boxers.

i think john had 7 shots at the aussie middle title, and lost them all. he was tough as guts but didnt posess great power..

any other fighters that fought in the 80s-90s that deserve mention, that have been forgotten?



.
swingin is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2012, 03:14 PM   #2
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 6,195
vCash: 1000
Default Re: john siriotis and other 'forgotten' aussie boxers.

Brian Roberts .
JOSEY WALES is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #3
Bollox
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 745
vCash: 500
Default Re: john siriotis and other 'forgotten' aussie boxers.

Brian Roberts fought the one and only Azumah Nelson for the commonwealth feather title in the early 80's

How about Kevin Wagstaff
Bollox is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
swingin
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,501
vCash: 500
Default Re: john siriotis and other 'forgotten' aussie boxers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSEY WALES View Post
Brian Roberts .
i watched him spar fenech at annuka beach resort at coffs harbour in about 1989. i think fenech was preparing for 'vicious' victor callegas.

he was a clever boxer brian, but fenech murdered him when he felt like it. i saw fenech throw 3 right hands successively all while roberts was quickly retreating. fenech switched his feet so his right hands were off the (right) back foot, with every punch. bang, bang , bang..as quick as you can say it.

fenech was special at his prime....
swingin is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #5
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 6,195
vCash: 1000
Default Re: john siriotis and other 'forgotten' aussie boxers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingin View Post
i watched him spar fenech at annuka beach resort at coffs harbour in about 1989. i think fenech was preparing for 'vicious' victor callegas.

he was a clever boxer brian, but fenech murdered him when he felt like it. i saw fenech throw 3 right hands successively all while roberts was quickly retreating. fenech switched his feet so his right hands were off the (right) back foot, with every punch. bang, bang , bang..as quick as you can say it.

fenech was special at his prime....
Agreed but Roberts was about 178 years old then and had been in about 8 wars with The Sicilian , Fenech was ****ing brilliant though .
JOSEY WALES is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #6
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 6,195
vCash: 1000
Default Re: john siriotis and other 'forgotten' aussie boxers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bollox View Post
Brian Roberts fought the one and only Azumah Nelson for the commonwealth feather title in the early 80's

How about Kevin Wagstaff
I'm not familiar with Wagstaff mate did he fight at Commonwealth level ?
JOSEY WALES is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:51 PM   #7
Bollox
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 745
vCash: 500
Default Re: john siriotis and other 'forgotten' aussie boxers.

I can't remember now, I doubt it, but he fought a load of local level fighters and went til he was about 40. Started out as a lightheavy and ended up at HW. Bit roly poly was Kevin
Bollox is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:57 PM   #8
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 6,195
vCash: 1000
Default Re: john siriotis and other 'forgotten' aussie boxers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bollox View Post
I can't remember now, I doubt it, but he fought a load of local level fighters and went til he was about 40. Started out as a lightheavy and ended up at HW. Bit roly poly was Kevin
Cruiser Champion of Australia when the Australian title was the dogs Bollox ( No pun ) . these guys were right old hard bastards and didn't give a flying F"4K about getting beaten .

Edit , How shot was Matt Franklin when they fought ? pretty ****ed up i guess .

Last edited by JOSEY WALES; 11-05-2012 at 04:30 PM.
JOSEY WALES is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:32 PM   #9
swingin
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,501
vCash: 500
Default Re: john siriotis and other 'forgotten' aussie boxers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSEY WALES View Post
Cruiser Champion of Australia when the Australian title was the dogs Bollox ( No pun ) . these guys were right old hard bastards and didn't give a flying F"4K about getting beaten .

Edit , How shot was Matt Franklin when they fought ? pretty ****ed up i guess .
yeah, not many fight with that creed anymore.
swingin is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:19 PM   #10
ecto55
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: a little sun-drenched vinyard 3 hours north by nor-west of Sydney, NSW, Australia...
Posts: 653
vCash: 1000
Default Re: john siriotis and other 'forgotten' aussie boxers.

Steve Aczel.
ecto55 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:29 PM   #11
The Spider
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: john siriotis and other 'forgotten' aussie boxers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecto55 View Post
Steve Aczel.
A very underrated talent
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:49 PM   #12
darkhorse
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,525
vCash: 500
Default Re: john siriotis and other 'forgotten' aussie boxers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecto55 View Post
Steve Aczel.
darkhorse is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:31 AM   #13
swingin
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,501
vCash: 500
Default Re: john siriotis and other 'forgotten' aussie boxers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
fought tony mundine didnt he?
swingin is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:39 AM   #14
swingin
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,501
vCash: 500
Default Re: john siriotis and other 'forgotten' aussie boxers.

ronald doo.....60 fights. fought some gooduns too.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]


wilf jentzen

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
swingin is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:30 AM   #15
Bwgcolman
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 317
vCash: 500
Default Re: john siriotis and other 'forgotten' aussie boxers.

Sparrow Freeman.
Bwgcolman is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013