Nightcrawler is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2012, 06:36 PM   #32
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Ray Robinson

Robinson was naturally more aggressive, powerful and liable to assume risks than Leonard. His attack was so much more instinctive than calculating. Once he finds Mayweather has nothing to bother him with, Floyd's in trouble and on his bike in ways he's never been before at Welter where he's shown a lot less movement and volume.
Hands of Iron is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2012, 06:37 PM   #33
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJS19 View Post
I've always maintained that Mayweather matches up better with Robinson than he does with Leonard. I think the elder Ray would be more inclined to Box with Mayweather, where as Leonard would be more agressive. Just an inkling.

Flea, I don't think Mayweather wins here, but I do think that the holes in Robinson's defence allow Mayweather (let's make no mistake, Mayweather would stink the place out.) to steal some rounds on clean punching.

I don't disagree that Robinson wins, and I can even see the knockout, but in the early rounds? That's disrespectful to Mayweather, who is great in his own right, and not really a natrual Welterweight. I think his mind keeps him in this fight.
I don't think he warrants much more respect than that in this kinda' matchup.

That wasn't my prediction of course. I say 5 or 6 rounds.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2012, 06:38 PM   #34
SJS19
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Iron View Post
Robinson was naturally more aggressive, powerful and liable to assume risks than Leonard. His attack was so much more instinctive than calculating. Once he finds Mayweather has nothing to bother him with, Floyd's in trouble and on his bike in ways he's never been before at Welter where he's shown a lot less movement and volume.

Which leaves holes.

I really don't buy the Robinson as an undefeatable god mystique he's always enjoyed around here. He DOES beat Mayweather, but he DOES have to work to do it.
SJS19 is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2012, 06:40 PM   #35
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
I think Floyd matches up better with Leonard for those reasons, but Leonard would just overwhelm him eventually as he did Kalule, Hearns and Benitez.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2012, 06:42 PM   #36
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Which leaves holes.

I really don't buy the Robinson as an undefeatable god mystique he's always enjoyed around here. He DOES beat Mayweather, but he DOES have to work to do it.
Floyd won't be able to take advantage of those holes. He'll throw single shots that won't hurt Robinson.

If anyone's ability is overstated it's Floyd Mayweathers. The most overrated technician of all time bar none.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2012, 06:45 PM   #37
SJS19
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Floyd won't be able to take advantage of those holes. He'll throw single shots that won't hurt Robinson.

If anyone's ability is overstated it's Floyd Mayweathers. The most overrated technician of all time bar none.
I'm genuinely curious, if you'd care to expand on that?
SJS19 is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2012, 06:53 PM   #38
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

Quote:
Which leaves holes.

Sure it does, that's why nobody considers Robinson's defense really more than anything above average, thanks to his feet and reflexes. That's why I love him, he didn't give a shit half the time and you couldn't stop him. He's endeared to me more for what he was as a puncher than boxer. I don't know that Floyd would be able to exploit those holes to any degree of consequence. Robinson will be busier and throwing the harder leather. All he'd need is get one opening to land a solid right hand through the shell and Floyd could be up shit's creek.

Last edited by Hands of Iron; 11-06-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:58 PM   #39
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

vCash: 816

I don't like Floyd's philly D against Robinson at all. The same reason I gave Mosley a puncher's chance- because he loops the right over top, but it's lightening quick. Robinson's was as well, was taller, and he wouldn't be 38 years old once Floyd gets shaken. Floyd either runs or holds and loses a wide decision or gets stopped by the 9th.
turbotime is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2012, 07:02 PM   #40
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotime View Post
I don't like Floyd's philly D against Robinson at all. The same reason I gave Mosley a puncher's chance- because he loops the right over top, but it's lightening quick. Robinson's was as well, was taller, and he wouldn't be 38 years old once Floyd gets shaken. Floyd either runs or holds and loses a wide decision or gets stopped by the 9th.
Welcome back from troll-land, my friend.

Was fully expecting the worst when I saw you on here.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #41
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

vCash: 816

Quote:
Welcome back from troll-land, my friend.

Was fully expecting the worst when I saw you on here.
It's good to be home.

I just had to help PP and level out the SRR love-fest that happens weekly in the Classic
turbotime is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2012, 07:25 PM   #42
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotime View Post
It's good to be home.

I just had to help PP and level out the SRR love-fest that happens weekly in the Classic
He's starting to get a little snippy in there. We were good when he gave Keed his respect. You'd really have to be an imbecile not to, though.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:27 PM   #43
tezel8764
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 527

Mayweather KO1 Robinson.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
tezel8764 is offline  Top
Old 11-07-2012, 06:48 PM   #44
Waynegrade
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Lets end this bullshit right now. EVERYONE who knows anything about boxing, know full well that PBF wouldn`t even sign a contract to fight a true champion like SRR. If Someone twisted his arm, and I am forced to make a pick ? Robinson, 6 rd KO, not TKO. Why ? Because once SRR saw that PBF had nothing to keep him off, and that he wasn`t in it to win it, rather just survive. The TRUE P4P kind would open up with both hands, punish and finish a guy who has never seen the likes of SRR... No, PBF won`t go the distance because Robinson ( with all his amazing boxing skills) was a brutal assasin and finisher once he sensed his prey was ready to go...
Waynegrade is offline  Top
Old 11-07-2012, 06:57 PM   #45
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynegrade View Post
Lets end this bullshit right now. EVERYONE who knows anything about boxing, know full well that PBF wouldn`t even sign a contract to fight a true champion like SRR. If Someone twisted his arm, and I am forced to make a pick ? Robinson, 6 rd KO, not TKO. Why ? Because once SRR saw that PBF had nothing to keep him off, and that he wasn`t in it to win it, rather just survive. The TRUE P4P kind would open up with both hands, punish and finish a guy who has never seen the likes of SRR... No, PBF won`t go the distance because Robinson was a brutal assasin and finisher once he sensed his prey was ready to go...

Except when was carrying guys, like Fusari or Dykes for example.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum