Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 11-06-2012, 05:51 PM   #16
kosaros
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 999
Default Re: Rendall Munroe vs Scott Quigg II predictions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkillspayBills View Post
Not sure how long Quigg can box out of his natural mentality and style. Espicially fighting a guy who's fit as a fiddle,big and strong and gets more and more into it as rounds go on.

To box differently to your mentality and style is hard, takes even more focus and you tire mentally as well as physically. Quigg boxed lovely in round 2 and early in the 3rd but not sure if he could keep that level up for 12 rounds.

Munroe though isn't no puzzle, it's about keeping him respectful and fighting centre ring and making him miss. If Quigg gets forced back he's in trouble, Munroe would run him over on ropes with workrate.

Tough, Close fight. Cor this fence ain't half hurting my backside .
He apparently did it against Gavin Reid for eight rounds until he was instructed by Brian Hughes to go on the front foot. I've also seen him box and move against others like Allione and Varela. Obviously he has been a bit gung ho against Booth and Arthur, but he has shown the versatility to box to a different game plan before.

Whether he can carry out a disciplined gameplan against someone like Munroe remains to be seen, however. But as you say, he looked good from the second round onwards in their first contest, and that makes me tip it in his favour slightly for the rematch.
kosaros is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2012, 08:48 PM   #17
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

Thought Quigg would edge the first one, didn't see much to change my mind.

Just slightly faster, slightly more convincing puncher. Munroe doesn't have much power to test Quigg's questionable durability, the most he can do is try and hustle him and use his strength down the stretch but I just don't think it'll be enough. Quigg will hold on.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 11-07-2012, 01:31 PM   #18
BoxingAnalyst
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC View Post
I dunno BA. Hatton couldn't even fix it for his brother to get the nod against N'Dou in a very close fight.

Oh yeah, forgot about that.
BoxingAnalyst is offline  Top
Old 11-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #19
BoxingAnalyst
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP View Post
Thought Quigg would edge the first one, didn't see much to change my mind.

Just slightly faster, slightly more convincing puncher. Munroe doesn't have much power to test Quigg's questionable durability, the most he can do is try and hustle him and use his strength down the stretch but I just don't think it'll be enough. Quigg will hold on.
He does IMO, look at when Quigg fought Varela, he can't punch but he hurt Quigg to the body, Arthur can't punch for shite and he had Quigg down and hurt with a stiff jab, Quigg is increasingly looking vulnerable, saying that he's a tough kid and has plenty of heart.

Munroe has to work the body, he's too slow to throw affective and accurate head shots..especially early on when his opponent is full of energy.

Like you eluded to, Rendall will do his best work down the stretch, but don't be surprised to see Quigg go down off a seemingly average power shot.

Quigg on points.
BoxingAnalyst is offline  Top
Old 11-07-2012, 02:12 PM   #20
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

I just don't think Rendall has any snap to put Quigg over off a single shot. At least Arthur landed a solid well connected shot even if he's no power merchant, when is the last time you saw Rendall and thought 'that was a cracking punch..'?

Rendall's hope of a stoppage is probably a Terrazas like performance, breaking him down to the body but lets be honest Rendall hasn't looked capable of that for a while.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 11-07-2012, 02:31 PM   #21
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

He hasn't looked capable of it since then... and it took half a dozen rounds to get going.

He's an infuriating fighter, put Terrazzas away and gave a brave showing against Nishioka, even if he was outclassed..... and then takes several long breaks inbetween being extended by shit fighters or blowing away guys that are even worse.

Quigg meanwhile looked easily better under his old trainer, nice footwork and some good defensive moves - looked a fair bit like a young Ricky Hatton. Lately he's ponderous, his guard is too high....

Basically he's a Gallagher fighter. That's what's wrong with him.

Quigg on points is a pretty smart bet and in all honesty the most obvious pick, but I wouldn't make Munroe a 5/2 dog in this one. He can either overwhelm Quigg with his activity or pound out a late stoppage.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 11-07-2012, 02:46 PM   #22
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeston Brawler View Post
He hasn't looked capable of it since then... and it took half a dozen rounds to get going.

He's an infuriating fighter, put Terrazzas away and gave a brave showing against Nishioka, even if he was outclassed..... and then takes several long breaks inbetween being extended by shit fighters or blowing away guys that are even worse.

Quigg meanwhile looked easily better under his old trainer, nice footwork and some good defensive moves - looked a fair bit like a young Ricky Hatton. Lately he's ponderous, his guard is too high....

Basically he's a Gallagher fighter. That's what's wrong with him.

Quigg on points is a pretty smart bet and in all honesty the most obvious pick, but I wouldn't make Munroe a 5/2 dog in this one. He can either overwhelm Quigg with his activity or pound out a late stoppage.

I think Quigg should try and revert to a little more movement in this one. Plodding forward and throwing leather unscientifically may well be good enough, I think he has a handspeed/power edge and is certainly the more impressive aesthetically - I can see him doing the better work in between Munroe's hustle and bustle.

But really he could make it easy for himself against Munroe, because as much as Munroe has a solid chin he won't walk through walls. Nishioka dissected him and made him look limited moving in and out utilizing the stark foot and hand speed disparity. Quigg ought to have both but whether he's stuck in this macho mindset he's developing I'm not sure.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 11-07-2012, 02:59 PM   #23
PaulieMc
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 416

Tough one this, the first fight was very close whilst it lasted.

I reckon Quigg by a close decision, maybe even a split. Munroe is very clever and ring savvy so I think he'll do well for parts of the fight. Quigg though I think is too young and hungry and will edge it in the final rounds.

Expect the winner to fight Frampton.
PaulieMc is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum