Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 11-08-2012, 12:14 AM   #1
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default MMA guys using non sports specific training IE Combat ropes

my feeling is...why? I understand push ups, lifting, all that, but combat ropes really take it out of you....my mind is hit the heavy bag more, grapple more...but what to do you think?

**** off Stoo
Johnstown is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2012, 12:17 AM   #2
Ne5ville14
Rationalist by default...
ESB Addict

Default Re: MMA guys using non sports specific training IE Combat ropes

I think you should drop dead and **** off !
Ne5ville14 is offline  Top
Old 11-08-2012, 12:49 AM   #3
Bigg Panch
The Dopest
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne5ville14 View Post
I think you should drop dead and **** off !
Ive seen people post this about a million times but for some reason this one right here had me laughing out loud for reals
Bigg Panch is offline  Top
Old 11-08-2012, 01:39 AM   #4
Ne5ville14
Rationalist by default...
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Panch View Post
Ive seen people post this about a million times but for some reason this one right here had me laughing out loud for reals
I'm glad it made you laugh !
Ne5ville14 is offline  Top
Old 11-08-2012, 01:52 AM   #5
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

combat ropes is a big waste of time..hit a ****ing heavybag you will burn your muscles just as well and maybe actually get better at throwing a ****ing punch.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:46 AM   #6
Primate
Belt holder
ESB Addict

You ever used ropes?

Why run? Why swim? Why flip a tyre or swing a hammer?

It's all just tools in the toolbox.
Primate is offline  Top
Old 11-08-2012, 05:27 AM   #7
The Spider

vCash:
Unhappy Re: MMA guys using non sports specific training IE Combat ropes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown View Post
my feeling is...why? I understand push ups, lifting, all that, but combat ropes really take it out of you....my mind is hit the heavy bag more, grapple more...but what to do you think?

**** off Stoo
I used to wonder why Stoo kept posting "**** off Johnstown".

I don't any more
Old 11-08-2012, 06:29 AM   #8
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Where to even start.... Actually don't.

****in die eat shit cunt
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Old 11-08-2012, 08:43 AM   #9
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict

This is something that has hit my mind especially after watching the bulid up to Bute v Froch. Bute seemed to spend almost as much time doing new "scientific" S&C as he did "traditional" old skool fight training. He got wiped out. A similar thing happen with other big subscribers to the new skool way of doing things ie Khan, Berto etc etc.

I'm a fan of new advances in combat sports. I subsrcibe to fighting fit magazine and read it cover to cover like a kid with a comic book, but I'm old skool in my approach, I believe the majority of training a fighter does should be fight specifc. Nowhere is that more apparant than in Thailand were other than a few runs, sprints, pull ups pushups etc and not S&C guru insight and these guys still kick everyones arse with ease.....

I'm sure new skool S&C ideas do of course benefit many fighters, I just question the amount of time and importance given over to such training techniques to the detrement of very specific combat training. S&C is a huge industry these days from equipment to dedicated trainers and notice how many of these gurus come form non fight backgrounds but they keep telling us what we need to change? Fine but to the detriment of what? Cos if you add something new what is getting pushed down the list?

The advances in nutrition for the fight game is a whole other thing which I rate very highly and can't stress enough to any young fighters just how important it is to eat right. Nutrition is absolutely essential to every fighter out there.
boranbkk is offline  Top
Old 11-08-2012, 09:15 AM   #10
Big Red
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1036

I think your better off using all your energy and time practicing the sport you compete in.

Its harder with something like boxing because you can't spar all the time because its not good to get hit to much, but grappling you can practice till you don't have an ounce of energy left in your body.

If I was training serious MMA fighters I would train their bodies with combat alone. Although I would limit striking somwhat as it can wear fighters down taking to many hard strikes.

How much swimming would you get a runner to do or vice verca? Its the same thing with combat, but even more so as they are more techinical. You can burn a lot of enegy with take downs alone. And there are many other disciplines to be practiced. So really there is not time or energy for weights or swimming. That time spent in the pool or lifting weights is better off used perfecting fighting techniques.
Big Red is offline  Top
Old 11-08-2012, 09:43 AM   #11
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red View Post
I think your better off using all your energy and time practicing the sport you compete in.

Its harder with something like boxing because you can't spar all the time because its not good to get hit to much, but grappling you can practice till you don't have an ounce of energy left in your body.

If I was training serious MMA fighters I would train their bodies with combat alone. Although I would limit striking somwhat as it can wear fighters down taking to many hard strikes.

How much swimming would you get a runner to do or vice verca? Its the same thing with combat, but even more so as they are more techinical. You can burn a lot of enegy with take downs alone. And there are many other disciplines to be practiced. So really there is not time or energy for weights or swimming. That time spent in the pool or lifting weights is better off used perfecting fighting techniques.
I agree.

The highlighted bit is a very good point, lost on alot of striking gyms in the west. In Thailand the only heavy sparring that tends to get done 3 days a week is with hands only. Clinching is pretty intense, but with limted contact. Kicking & knees are only every done in a very light capacity with the empahais on timing, speed and good technique, more technical sparring.
boranbkk is offline  Top
Old 11-08-2012, 09:46 AM   #12
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

No comment...

**** off Johnstown
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2012, 01:40 AM   #13
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

seems like boranbkk and Big Red have actually trained fought and understand my points. Combat ropes looks good on TV..makes your muslces look all muscley while you do...but with limited and time resources and energy..it isnt the best thing to do as a fighter.but of course..what would someone like Stoo actually know about being a fighter?
Old 11-10-2012, 05:28 AM   #14
Primate
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown View Post
seems like boranbkk and Big Red have actually trained fought and understand my points. Combat ropes looks good on TV..makes your muslces look all muscley while you do...but with limited and time resources and energy..it isnt the best thing to do as a fighter.but of course..what would someone like Stoo actually know about being a fighter?
It's painfully obvious that you've never used ropes before, and probably never even trained hard before. Ropes are one of the best and simplest conditioning tools there are, and they take up a damn site less time than running or virtually any other conditioning drill. They also put a lot less strain on the joints and develop your posterior chain and grip strength.... how is that not sport specific?
Primate is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2012, 07:44 AM   #15
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primate View Post
It's painfully obvious that you've never used ropes before, and probably never even trained hard before. Ropes are one of the best and simplest conditioning tools there are, and they take up a damn site less time than running or virtually any other conditioning drill. They also put a lot less strain on the joints and develop your posterior chain and grip strength.... how is that not sport specific?
Got to admit Primate, I've never used a pair of ropes. I don't even ever remember seeing a pair "in my day", they seem to have creeped in over the last decade or so.

I'm not saying their isn't a place for new S&C ideas and equipment, we all agree a fitter stronger fighter is a better fighter. My issue is how much time is given over to them to the possible detriment of actual fight skills and training.
boranbkk is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum