Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 06:42 PM   #1
Jayob10
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 149
vCash: 500
Default Bellew dropped by an amateur in sparring

Heard today that Rob McCracken had a few of the British Lionheart WSB team in during the week running the rule over them, also gave them a look at Carl Froch's camp

Irish and European Light Heavyweight champ got 3 rounds of sparring with Carl and also 3 with Bellew.

Ward who only turned 19 gave Bellew a real go in sparring and dropped him with a real peach of a right hand. McCracken has described him as a beast
Jayob10 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2012, 06:48 PM   #2
chrisbonnie
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 356
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Bellew dropped by an amateur in sparring

i wouldnt be surprised if true, Joe Ward is future world champion material, without a doubt.

he's only 19, maybe 20 now though ,and he is as strong as an ox. He has absolutely schooled and man handled Kenny Egan (Bejing silver medalist) the last two times they've fought in the irish senior finals. Im actually surprised he didnt go pro after he didnt make the London olympics
chrisbonnie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:48 PM   #3
joegrundy
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 927
vCash: 2592
Default Re: Bellew dropped by an amateur in sparring

Sparing stories are great, never usually true though. Who is your source?
joegrundy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
artful
*practice makes perfect*
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,061
vCash: 3254
Default Re: Bellew dropped by an amateur in sparring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayob10 View Post
Heard today that Rob McCracken had a few of the British Lionheart WSB team in during the week running the rule over them, also gave them a look at Carl Froch's camp

Irish
and European Light Heavyweight champ got 3 rounds of sparring with Carl and also 3 with Bellew.

Ward who only turned 19 gave Bellew a real go in sparring and dropped him with a real peach of a right hand. McCracken has described him as a beast
So is he British or what?
artful is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #5
Jayob10
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 149
vCash: 500
Default Re: Bellew dropped by an amateur in sparring

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegrundy View Post
Sparing stories are great, never usually true though. Who is your source?
My source was there, i'd never even heard of Ward to be honest with you, I got the low down on him afterwards.

Apparently this guy is going to be fighting in the WSB and was due to be fighting in the olympics this summer but missed out.

Was very lively in the gym apparently, Bellew was not impressed and didn't take it like a man either, challenged him to go out to the car park afterwards aswell after, classy bit of stuff
Jayob10 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #6
Jayob10
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 149
vCash: 500
Default Re: Bellew dropped by an amateur in sparring

Quote:
Originally Posted by artful View Post
So is he British or what?
One of the non Brits chosen to represent British Lionhearts WSB team. There was some Swedish guy there aswell who is apparently on the team too but can't recall his name.
Jayob10 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #7
Maxsplit
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: London
Posts: 649
vCash: 500
Default Re: Bellew dropped by an amateur in sparring

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegrundy View Post
Sparing stories are great, never usually true though. Who is your source?
I think they mostly are true actually

BUT, it would still be a VERY different scenario if Bellew stepped in the ring for a pro fight with this kid.

In sparring, you DO hold back a bit, but the young cubs less so. So while Bellew was maybe going for it at 25% this young kid was trying to land with 110%ers.

Fair enough Bellew was dropped.

In the ring when man and boy went at it, I absolutely KNOW who my money would be on

Sparring isn't fabrication. But you can't replicate the real thing and some people react differently.

Audley with headgear on is by all accounts a World Beater. Take it off though and we all know what happens
Maxsplit is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:00 PM   #8
chrisbonnie
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 356
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Bellew dropped by an amateur in sparring

Joe Ward is the irish lhw amateur champion for the past 2 years, and finalist for the year before that, when barely 17 if my memory serves me right.

world junior champion, european junior champion. He was blatantly robbed and denied a place at the london olympics when he lost in turkey, to a turk no less in the final qualifier. He was ranked number 1 in the world at lhw as well

he fights like a pro, is built like a brick shit house. Ive seen him box a few time here in Ireland, and as i said earlier, i was actually shocked Eddie Hearn didnt try and sign him after he didnt make our olympic squad.

i even tweeted Eddie Hearn about him the night he was "beaten" by the turk to deny him a place in the olympics.

i know his uncle, and if im not mistaken, he's actually a cousin, or second cousin, of Martin Ward that recently debuted on a recent Matchroom card.
chrisbonnie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #9
Jayob10
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 149
vCash: 500
Default Re: Bellew dropped by an amateur in sparring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxsplit View Post
I think they mostly are true actually

BUT, it would still be a VERY different scenario if Bellew stepped in the ring for a pro fight with this kid.

In sparring, you DO hold back a bit, but the young cubs less so. So while Bellew was maybe going for it at 25% this young kid was trying to land with 110%ers.

Fair enough Bellew was dropped.

In the ring when man and boy went at it, I absolutely KNOW who my money would be on

Sparring isn't fabrication. But you can't replicate the real thing and some people react differently.

Audley with headgear on is by all accounts a World Beater. Take it off though and we all know what happens
Thats very true

Just thought it was quite funny, apparently he went easy on the kid but then saw the kid was tough (apparently has won numerous world titles at junior and youth level, also won his first ever international senior title-european champ at light heavyweight) and stepped it up a gear but got his ass handed to him, kid had serious power and boxed the head off Bellew. He didn't behave in a good way afterwards either, mouthing off at McCracken for blindsiding him with a kid.

McCracken was bewildered himself, had no idea the kid had those kind of skills in his locker. One to watch id say!

Bellew is in action soon enough too isn't he? or would it be a case of a fighter being rusty?
Jayob10 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #10
Primadonna Kool
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 9,790
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Bellew dropped by an amateur in sparring

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbonnie View Post
Joe Ward is the irish lhw amateur champion for the past 2 years, and finalist for the year before that, when barely 17 if my memory serves me right.

world junior champion, european junior champion. He was blatantly robbed and denied a place at the london olympics when he lost in turkey, to a turk no less in the final qualifier. He was ranked number 1 in the world at lhw as well

he fights like a pro, is built like a brick shit house. Ive seen him box a few time here in Ireland, and as i said earlier, i was actually shocked Eddie Hearn didnt try and sign him after he didnt make our olympic squad.

i even tweeted Eddie Hearn about him the night he was "beaten" by the turk to deny him a place in the olympics.

i know his uncle, and if im not mistaken, he's actually a cousin, or second cousin, of Martin Ward that recently debuted on a recent Matchroom card.
Is he black..?
Primadonna Kool is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:05 PM   #11
JamieC
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 306
vCash: 500
Default Re: Bellew dropped by an amateur in sparring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayob10 View Post
Thats very true

Just thought it was quite funny, apparently he went easy on the kid but then saw the kid was tough (apparently has won numerous world titles at junior and youth level, also won his first ever international senior title-european champ at light heavyweight) and stepped it up a gear but got his ass handed to him, kid had serious power and boxed the head off Bellew. He didn't behave in a good way afterwards either, mouthing off at McCracken for blindsiding him with a kid.

McCracken was bewildered himself, had no idea the kid had those kind of skills in his locker. One to watch id say!

Bellew is in action soon enough too isn't he? or would it be a case of a fighter being rusty?
i find it hard to believe neither bellew nor mccracken didn't know of joe ward, everyone here is well aware of his talents, he's one of the best prospects in the game worldwide imo
JamieC is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #12
JamieC
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 306
vCash: 500
Default Re: Bellew dropped by an amateur in sparring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primadonna Kool View Post
Is he black..?
hes an irish traveller
JamieC is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #13
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The Spion Kop
Posts: 30,799
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Bellew dropped by an amateur in sparring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxsplit View Post
I think they mostly are true actually

BUT, it would still be a VERY different scenario if Bellew stepped in the ring for a pro fight with this kid.

In sparring, you DO hold back a bit, but the young cubs less so. So while Bellew was maybe going for it at 25% this young kid was trying to land with 110%ers.

Fair enough Bellew was dropped.

In the ring when man and boy went at it, I absolutely KNOW who my money would be on

Sparring isn't fabrication. But you can't replicate the real thing and some people react differently.

Audley with headgear on is by all accounts a World Beater. Take it off though and we all know what happens
Great post.
GazOC is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #14
chrisbonnie
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 356
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Bellew dropped by an amateur in sparring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primadonna Kool View Post
Is he black..?
ha ha ha, a black pikey,

now that would be a sight
chrisbonnie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:12 PM   #15
Jayob10
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 149
vCash: 500
Default Re: Bellew dropped by an amateur in sparring

not sure Bellew did, of course McCracken knew who he was

I meant the manner of it bewildered him, an amateur out of competition gave a drubbing to a pro who was deep in training and wasn't exactly holding back himself. I think McCracken was expecting a leisurly spar for the both of them, giving the kid a taste of what to expect against Britains best pro in his division.

And for what its worth i'm a big Bellew fan, great bloke and really good fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieC View Post
i find it hard to believe neither bellew nor mccracken didn't know of joe ward, everyone here is well aware of his talents, he's one of the best prospects in the game worldwide imo
Jayob10 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013