Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-04-2012, 01:02 PM   #2641
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Charlie Magri Vs Fred Gonzalez

MAGRI: 2;
GONZALEZ: (+1);

Vulnerable banger Magri is down early again, this time buckled by a wide Cotto-esque left hook at the hands of journeyman Freddy Gonzalez right at the beginning of the first round, although he steadies himself. He then has his legs taken completely away from him by the same shot a few moments later. Magri weighed in a lb heavier than Gonzalez, but the Mexican looks bigger, and while basic is landing the sharper shots.

In the 2nd round Magri uses his amateur experience, he's no Willie Pep of course but he picks his shots, throwing tight one-two's to the head to distract and then lumping Gonzalez to the body hard.

In the 3rd Gonzalez show why he's not made much progress in his career, as he now looks very sloppy, dropping into southpaw and bombing wildly with looping shots from either hand. Magri weathers the storm and avoids most of it, before backing Gonzalez up with body shots, and when that doesn't do the job he fires in a short right uppercut with knocks the disheartened import off his feet for the count.

Roman Gonzalez Vs Stiven Monterrosa

GONZALEZ: 1(+1); 2(+1);
MONTEROSSA:

El Chocolatito is always nice to watch, and this is his most recent outing, where he looks pretty destructive. At the top level he doesn't appear a massive puncher above straw, but he demonstrates an Arguello-esque left hand to beat his man down. He drops him again in the 2nd and the fight is waved off in the 3rd,. The Colombian opponent was throwing back but is absolutely woeful and completely outclassed.

Since the dissection of Niida blew my mind all those years ago, I've been worried about Gonzalez's development. Most of the better guys have an easier night with the dependable Chango Vargas. Hopefully see Gonzalez in with a top notch challenge soon, Segura or Concepcion would be a nice step up. I know little about this Estrada he's down to fight next.

Last edited by Flea Man; 11-04-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2012, 03:41 PM   #2642
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Luis Concepcion's last few:

Vs Odilon Zaleta

ZALETA: 1;

Boy, oh, boy El Nica has not learned anything since his shocking 1st round loss to Marquez. He has no nous whatsoever and gets caught flush wherever he is, here by Zaleta's straight punches early. But in the 2nd round Concepcion steams out and blasts Zaleta with a right uppercut that only seems to graze him but knocks him over. He gets up, clear headed and looking a bit like Christian Mijares funnily enough (hair and face, a bit) before stupidly and recklessly trying to punch it out with Concepcion to show he's not hurt. Well, he didn't look to be but he's heavily deposited on the seat of his trunks again by a big left hook in an exchange after just being clobbered by a heavy right hand. The same combination follows shortly after, and the game Mexican (then 14-1) is saved from himself as he tries to rise again.

Vs Oscar Gallardo

Hapless Mexican journeyman gets warned to fight then blown away as soon as he's in punching range.

Vs Pablo Carillo

CONCEPCION: 1; 2; 3; 4; 5; 6; 8
CARILLO: 7;

Undefeated Colombian Carrillo weighed in a little over the flyweight limit and Concepcion was a super fly and looked a good couple of weight divisions bigger on the night. Carrillo had a horribly padded record and not much of a dig but fought with guts although he was a track runner at times.

Concepcion bossed the 1st, and while the Colombian landed many, many counter hooks with each hand in the 2nd he was hurt by the straight right to the gut a few times and outworked.

If Luis' defence is bad, Carrillo was completely open for uppercuts, and got hit by so many in the early part of round 3 that it worked him into a frenzy, and he seemed to get El Nica's attention with a blitzkrieg. Still, he was hurt badly late on in the round as well, so I felt Concepcion put another round in the bank. Took the 4th and 5th too, though the Colombian upped the ante late on to try and steal the rounds and caught the Panamanian power puncher with some clean counters, with sloppy, wide punches (doesn't have much in the way of a job or know what a straight right hand is apparently)

In the 6th round Concepcion evades the Colombian's late flurries with ease, clowning him a bit. Yeah, that's how sloppy this kid is. His late flurry in the 7th snatched it from Luis as he seemed a little jarred by a couple of the shots.

Concepcion pressed the fight throughout, outlanded Carrillo (who only punched in bursts) and looked to land the more effective blows. Cannot see how it could be close and why they're rematching just because the Colombian moaned about it I don't know, he should be happy with his moral victory of lasting the 8 round distance against a dangerous puncher.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2012, 06:08 AM   #2643
Lester1583
Can you hear this?
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Cannot see how it could be close and why they're rematching just because the Colombian moaned about it I don't know, he should be happy with his moral victory of lasting the 8 round distance against a dangerous puncher.
I was surprised to hear Carillo saying it was a controversial decision.

Concepcion clearly won the fight.
His defense was non-existent as usual but that's why we love him.

Actually I'm glad Carillo moaned about it.

El Nica marching forward, taking bombs, throwing bombs, doing somersaults.

What more can we ask for?

Last edited by Lester1583; 11-05-2012 at 06:26 AM.
Lester1583 is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2012, 12:47 PM   #2644
Lester1583
Can you hear this?
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic-JofreBRASIL View Post
Just watched Villasana vs Esparragoza, good fight. Esparragoza won it IMO, 8-4.
Quote:
The only person who has agreed with me
I can understand why the fight was declared a draw.

Esparragoza didn't look impressive, especially in the later rounds and his punches had no affect on iron-chinned Villasana who marched forward the entire fight.

A.Gomez would saijo him easily.
Lester1583 is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #2645
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Would be a lovely all Venezuelan tactical featherweight bout that.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-07-2012, 11:09 AM   #2646
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Jorge Arce - Hussy Hussien I

Gave Hussien 3 maybe 4 rounds. Not including points deducted. Arce put on a heroic like performance, he is a nutcase. Hussien only just holding in there mentally most of the fight. Cant blame him. there are few situations worse than arce in front of you and jeff Fenech in your corner.
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Old 11-07-2012, 11:16 AM   #2647
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

If only Jeff could've jumped in for him

Last edited by Flea Man; 11-07-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-08-2012, 07:04 PM   #2648
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

watching kalambay/mccallum 1 for the first time tonight. already loving it...
Nightcrawler is offline  Top
Old 11-08-2012, 08:08 PM   #2649
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Kalambay/McCallum 1

I've wanted to watch this for AGES and never got around to it until today. I'll start by saying I don't know a lot about Kalambay. I know his record, I've watched a bit of him but this was very eye opening for me. What a mover. The jab, the combinations, the pacing were near flawless. I can honestly say I can't recall a time when a fighter kept someone of McCallum's level at the exact distance he wanted him for a full 12 rounds. McCallum could do NOTHING and in many rounds he landed in the single digits.

Round by Round:
Kalambay McCallum
10 9
10 9
9 10 (close but I'll give him this one)
10 9
10 9
10 9
10 9
10 9
10 9
10 9
10 9
10 9

119-109

This was a masterclass against a HOF level opponent. The commentary seemed to state that McCallum was probably a bit old, past prime and rusty. Considering his career and level of performance after this fight, I say he just got dominated by the most underrated middleweight champ of the last 40 years
Old 11-09-2012, 01:34 AM   #2650
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler View Post
Kalambay/McCallum 1

I've wanted to watch this for AGES and never got around to it until today. I'll start by saying I don't know a lot about Kalambay. I know his record, I've watched a bit of him but this was very eye opening for me. What a mover. The jab, the combinations, the pacing were near flawless. I can honestly say I can't recall a time when a fighter kept someone of McCallum's level at the exact distance he wanted him for a full 12 rounds. McCallum could do NOTHING and in many rounds he landed in the single digits.

Round by Round:
Kalambay McCallum
10 9
10 9
9 10 (close but I'll give him this one)
10 9
10 9
10 9
10 9
10 9
10 9
10 9
10 9
10 9

119-109

This was a masterclass against a HOF level opponent. The commentary seemed to state that McCallum was probably a bit old, past prime and rusty. Considering his career and level of performance after this fight, I say he just got dominated by the most underrated middleweight champ of the last 40 years
Pretty much agree with all of this.

As for Sumbu, if he'd beaten Nunn he might not have been so underrated
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2012, 07:17 AM   #2651
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Pretty much agree with all of this.

As for Sumbu, if he'd beaten Nunn he might not have been so underrated
probably not. ****ing nunn...
Old 11-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #2652
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Another weed induced scoring session! This is another fight I should've but didn't watch sooner. Benitez is a pleasure to watch, in a similar way as donald curry. Anyhoo, today I scored Benitez-Duran. Was I just high or too hard on Roberto here...

BENITEZ DURAN
10 9
10 9
10 9
10 9 (nice chopping right at end by duran by that's about it)
10 9 (combos almost at will by benitez)
10 9 (radar slipping and become the aggressor, nice right/left by duran at end)
9 10 (duran able to corner, lead rights sharp, benitez consistently fights back)
10 9 (commanding jab from benitez, best i've seen from him, mixes left hooks well)
10 9 (some strong punches from benitez landed more and dictated pace)
10 9
10 9(benitez tries to pressure duran but it seems foreign to him, crisper shots)
10 9 (benitez's body work wins him the round)
10 9 (Duran trying to feint his way in scores some to the head and body,
10 9 bentiez far too quick at distance)
10 9

149 136

The scores of 144-142 or so seemed WAAAAY too close for my liking. fun fight with some tremendous movement and body work by the ever talented benitez
Old 11-11-2012, 11:24 AM   #2653
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

vCash: 26664

My score card for Marty/Lara: openyoureyesharold - 2 or something. I don't know. Whatever. That was ...ugh.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2012, 03:03 PM   #2654
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
My score card for Marty/Lara: openyoureyesharold - 2 or something. I don't know. Whatever. That was ...ugh.
can't wait to watch it and check out harold's "card" (which as the years go by appears more like a doodle he made out of mustard on a discarded napkin that lampley is trying to pass off as analysis)
Old 11-12-2012, 06:05 AM   #2655
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

vCash: 26664

I've just seen Volo/Wach. People's tendency to overdramatise is neat. There were three sentiments I was coming across before watching it, during the round-by-round and post-fight that seemed very interesting.

1. Volo was so much more quick-starting and aggressive than usual that he was dang-near burning himself out like young Volo against Puritty.

2. Volo was badly hurt by a Wach bomb and saved by the bell, in big trouble, getting battered on the ropes!

3. Wach was terrorised so badly that there could've been multiple 10/8 rounds. It was a horrific nightmare of brutality.

Well, my take:

1. Klitschko did unleash faster and more than usual. But, no, he wasn't fighting at a crazy pace or swinging for the fences with each shot or even slightly looking like he couldn't keep up with his own pace. Not at all. Before watching I was wondering if he was maybe a bit wild because he wanted a kayo in tribute to Manny. Truthfully, this was just a higher activity Volo who was still professionally cautious and minding his gas tank. (The ref should mind the Volo stiff-arming, but if I could get away with it, I would too-it's effective)

A good performance with some drive against a limited but highly tough guy. It wasn't like the old days though. He didn't put on a striking display of offence like against Mercer and Schulz, before going defensive. I didn't think this was really that big of a departure from recent form. I wasn't bored. But, I wasn't excited either.

2. This is like when Lennox was nearly destroyed aka a little stunned but completely in control against Briggs, except Wach was much less effective than even Briggs in capitalising, as I remember it. I don't think Wach landed one good punch after initially catching Volo and I don't think Volo was particularly stunned either. Did he get caught on the ropes a bit? Yes. That was unusual. Did he hang on hard? Yes, but, he does that when nobody punches him at all too. That doesn't really mean much. He's one of very few serious punchers that's also a defensive spoiler. There was nothing to really make of it, anyway, that I could tell.

3. 1 round. 1 round was arguably a fair 10/8 round, but I'll admit, Wach did get laid into a few times in ways that I'm quite surprised didn't take him off his feet or make him jelly-legged. Maybe people are making too much of the chin talk but that was some impressive durability, there. He got pretty mashed up throughout that round by a legit kayo-puncher. I still think the calls that it must be stopped were a bit melodramatic. I thought that with Cobb/Holmes too. Melodramatic Howard.

Anyway, a good showing from a long-reigning champ against a voluntary 0-record with slow hands and novelty size. 12-0. No, I didn't give him the one round he landed a visibly big shot. It was a little modern day Holmes/Cobb-like. Not bang on, but it bore enough similarity. Maloney is pretty disgusting as a person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler View Post
can't wait to watch it and check out harold's "card" (which as the years go by appears more like a doodle he made out of mustard on a discarded napkin that lampley is trying to pass off as analysis)
Signaturian, my man. Positively signaturian. I like Harold. He's a fun guy. His cards often have no rhyme or reason as far as keeping with any pattern or anything that makes any sense but I like him. Jim!
Boxed Ears is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum