boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 09:15 PM   #31
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: From the Lands Down Under.
Posts: 2,593
vCash: 177
Default Re: Stephan Bonnar

Serious question for those who have such contempt for fighters roiding.

If the fight is not overseen by a sanctioning body, and the promotion has no rules against steroid use, is it OK?

Or does a fighter have a moral obligation to enter a fight clean, and perform as he is naturally rather than as a chemically-enhanced superior version of himself?

If everyone does it, does that make it OK and should your fighting legacy and standing/respect in the eyes of fans be unaffected by your drug use?

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2012, 09:58 PM   #32
The Spider
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Unhappy Re: Stephan Bonnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
Serious question for those who have such contempt for fighters roiding.

If the fight is not overseen by a sanctioning body, and the promotion has no rules against steroid use, is it OK?

Or does a fighter have a moral obligation to enter a fight clean, and perform as he is naturally rather than as a chemically-enhanced superior version of himself?

If everyone does it, does that make it OK and should your fighting legacy and standing/respect in the eyes of fans be unaffected by your drug use?

Are you being serious here? I'll assume you are.

It's never OK to cheat. Regardless of the level, and regardless of how many others are doing it.

Do you think if Lance Armstrong had played the 'but everybody else was taking drugs too' card the authorities would have let him keep his 7 tour de France victories?

Not in a million years
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:18 PM   #33
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: From the Lands Down Under.
Posts: 2,593
vCash: 177
Default Re: Stephan Bonnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spider View Post
Are you being serious here? I'll assume you are.

It's never OK to cheat. Regardless of the level, and regardless of how many others are doing it.

Do you think if Lance Armstrong had played the 'but everybody else was taking drugs too' card the authorities would have let him keep his 7 tour de France victories?

Not in a million years
Then by that rationale, every fighter who roided should be viewed with the same disdain as Bonnar is.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:23 PM   #34
The Spider
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Unhappy Re: Stephan Bonnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
Then by that rationale, every fighter who roided should be viewed with the same disdain as Bonnar is.

Every case needs to be heard - innocent until proven guilty and all that - but I don't see 'everybody else is doing it' as any kind of legitimacy.

Image going to court charged with theft and saying in your defence that 'lots of other people are stealing property out there'. That would really help your cause wouldn't it
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:49 PM   #35
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NSW via Leeds/London
Posts: 1,940
vCash: 1885
Default Re: Stephan Bonnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
Then by that rationale, every fighter who roided should be viewed with the same disdain as Bonnar is.

Maybe I'm missing your point but everyone in this thread is saying all fighters who get caught roiding should be banned for life or at least on the second occasion.
Matt Ldn is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:04 PM   #36
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: From the Lands Down Under.
Posts: 2,593
vCash: 177
Default Re: Stephan Bonnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ldn View Post
Maybe I'm missing your point but everyone in this thread is saying all fighters who get caught roiding should be banned for life or at least on the second occasion.
I can't understand how people can call Bonnar a disgrace for being caught roiding twice, and then turn around and say that Coleman (for example) should be in the HOF.

Surely it should be one or the other. A guy like Coleman was blatantly roided out of his skull, but it generally seems to be viewed as an amusing triviality. Seems to me that either roiding is OK, or it isn't.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:30 PM   #37
The Spider
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Unhappy Re: Stephan Bonnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
I can't understand how people can call Bonnar a disgrace for being caught roiding twice, and then turn around and say that Coleman (for example) should be in the HOF.

Surely it should be one or the other. A guy like Coleman was blatantly roided out of his skull, but it generally seems to be viewed as an amusing triviality. Seems to me that either roiding is OK, or it isn't.

It just isn't OK in my opinion
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:35 PM   #38
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: From the Lands Down Under.
Posts: 2,593
vCash: 177
Default Re: Stephan Bonnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spider View Post
It just isn't OK in my opinion
Not in yours, sure.

But in the eyes of many MMA "experts", it is a significant double standard.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:51 PM   #39
The Spider
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Stephan Bonnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
Not in yours, sure.

But in the eyes of many MMA "experts", it is a significant double standard.

A double standard in a general sense? Or are you specifically referring to Coleman and the HOF?
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:11 AM   #40
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: From the Lands Down Under.
Posts: 2,593
vCash: 177
Default Re: Stephan Bonnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spider View Post
A double standard in a general sense? Or are you specifically referring to Coleman and the HOF?
In a general sense. Many legends of the sport were serious steroid abusers. But they fought in times and organizations where they weren't tested, so their careers and legacies weren't harmed by it. In fact, they were often helped, because win or lose they performed at a higher level than they would have otherwise been able to reach.

Seems two-faced to me to **** all over Bonnar for roiding, and then turn a blind eye to other guys who were doing exactly the same thing, oftentimes apparently to an even greater extent.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:26 AM   #41
The Spider
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Stephan Bonnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
In a general sense. Many legends of the sport were serious steroid abusers. But they fought in times and organizations where they weren't tested, so their careers and legacies weren't harmed by it. In fact, they were often helped, because win or lose they performed at a higher level than they would have otherwise been able to reach.

Seems two-faced to me to **** all over Bonnar for roiding, and then turn a blind eye to other guys who were doing exactly the same thing, oftentimes apparently to an even greater extent.

To me, a cheat is a cheat
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:29 AM   #42
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,927
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Stephan Bonnar

Im waiting for the 'P' word


Stoo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:48 AM   #43
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: From the Lands Down Under.
Posts: 2,593
vCash: 177
Default Re: Stephan Bonnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
Im waiting for the 'P' word


No organization mandated steroid use. Some may be or may have been more relaxed about the issue than others, but the decision to roid or not is one that an individual fighter makes. Not an organization.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:51 AM   #44
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,927
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Stephan Bonnar

Well the UFC had Captain America, but we are stuck with Captain Obvious
Stoo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:37 AM   #45
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NSW via Leeds/London
Posts: 1,940
vCash: 1885
Default Re: Stephan Bonnar

I agree with spidey a cheat is a cheat and should be frowned upon but for one we have the hindsight of those guys never killing someone or seriously injuring them in the cage/ring (that I know of I could be completely wrong there). Furthermore, in those orgs almost everyone was on something so it became less of an issue.

If a guy choses to have a **** diet and **** prep for a fight he might get hurt as a result. Thats a choice thats on him thats part of the sport. If a guy gets an advantage because he broke the rules and the other fighter didnt that is cheating.
Matt Ldn is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2015