Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 11-08-2012, 09:15 PM   #31
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177
Default Re: Stephan Bonnar

Serious question for those who have such contempt for fighters roiding.

If the fight is not overseen by a sanctioning body, and the promotion has no rules against steroid use, is it OK?

Or does a fighter have a moral obligation to enter a fight clean, and perform as he is naturally rather than as a chemically-enhanced superior version of himself?

If everyone does it, does that make it OK and should your fighting legacy and standing/respect in the eyes of fans be unaffected by your drug use?

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2012, 09:58 PM   #32
The Spider

vCash:
Unhappy Re: Stephan Bonnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
Serious question for those who have such contempt for fighters roiding.

If the fight is not overseen by a sanctioning body, and the promotion has no rules against steroid use, is it OK?

Or does a fighter have a moral obligation to enter a fight clean, and perform as he is naturally rather than as a chemically-enhanced superior version of himself?

If everyone does it, does that make it OK and should your fighting legacy and standing/respect in the eyes of fans be unaffected by your drug use?

Are you being serious here? I'll assume you are.

It's never OK to cheat. Regardless of the level, and regardless of how many others are doing it.

Do you think if Lance Armstrong had played the 'but everybody else was taking drugs too' card the authorities would have let him keep his 7 tour de France victories?

Not in a million years
Old 11-08-2012, 10:18 PM   #33
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spider View Post
Are you being serious here? I'll assume you are.

It's never OK to cheat. Regardless of the level, and regardless of how many others are doing it.

Do you think if Lance Armstrong had played the 'but everybody else was taking drugs too' card the authorities would have let him keep his 7 tour de France victories?

Not in a million years
Then by that rationale, every fighter who roided should be viewed with the same disdain as Bonnar is.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:23 PM   #34
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
Then by that rationale, every fighter who roided should be viewed with the same disdain as Bonnar is.

Every case needs to be heard - innocent until proven guilty and all that - but I don't see 'everybody else is doing it' as any kind of legitimacy.

Image going to court charged with theft and saying in your defence that 'lots of other people are stealing property out there'. That would really help your cause wouldn't it
Old 11-08-2012, 10:49 PM   #35
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1885

Quote:

Maybe I'm missing your point but everyone in this thread is saying all fighters who get caught roiding should be banned for life or at least on the second occasion.
Matt Ldn is offline  Top
Old 11-08-2012, 11:04 PM   #36
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ldn View Post
Maybe I'm missing your point but everyone in this thread is saying all fighters who get caught roiding should be banned for life or at least on the second occasion.
I can't understand how people can call Bonnar a disgrace for being caught roiding twice, and then turn around and say that Coleman (for example) should be in the HOF.

Surely it should be one or the other. A guy like Coleman was blatantly roided out of his skull, but it generally seems to be viewed as an amusing triviality. Seems to me that either roiding is OK, or it isn't.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:30 PM   #37
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
I can't understand how people can call Bonnar a disgrace for being caught roiding twice, and then turn around and say that Coleman (for example) should be in the HOF.

Surely it should be one or the other. A guy like Coleman was blatantly roided out of his skull, but it generally seems to be viewed as an amusing triviality. Seems to me that either roiding is OK, or it isn't.

It just isn't OK in my opinion
Old 11-08-2012, 11:35 PM   #38
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
It just isn't OK in my opinion
Not in yours, sure.

But in the eyes of many MMA "experts", it is a significant double standard.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:51 PM   #39
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
Not in yours, sure.

But in the eyes of many MMA "experts", it is a significant double standard.

A double standard in a general sense? Or are you specifically referring to Coleman and the HOF?
Old 11-09-2012, 12:11 AM   #40
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
A double standard in a general sense? Or are you specifically referring to Coleman and the HOF?
In a general sense. Many legends of the sport were serious steroid abusers. But they fought in times and organizations where they weren't tested, so their careers and legacies weren't harmed by it. In fact, they were often helped, because win or lose they performed at a higher level than they would have otherwise been able to reach.

Seems two-faced to me to **** all over Bonnar for roiding, and then turn a blind eye to other guys who were doing exactly the same thing, oftentimes apparently to an even greater extent.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:26 AM   #41
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
In a general sense. Many legends of the sport were serious steroid abusers. But they fought in times and organizations where they weren't tested, so their careers and legacies weren't harmed by it. In fact, they were often helped, because win or lose they performed at a higher level than they would have otherwise been able to reach.

Seems two-faced to me to **** all over Bonnar for roiding, and then turn a blind eye to other guys who were doing exactly the same thing, oftentimes apparently to an even greater extent.

To me, a cheat is a cheat
Old 11-09-2012, 12:29 AM   #42
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Im waiting for the 'P' word

Stoo is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2012, 12:48 AM   #43
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
Im waiting for the 'P' word

No organization mandated steroid use. Some may be or may have been more relaxed about the issue than others, but the decision to roid or not is one that an individual fighter makes. Not an organization.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:51 AM   #44
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Well the UFC had Captain America, but we are stuck with Captain Obvious
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2012, 09:37 AM   #45
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1885

I agree with spidey a cheat is a cheat and should be frowned upon but for one we have the hindsight of those guys never killing someone or seriously injuring them in the cage/ring (that I know of I could be completely wrong there). Furthermore, in those orgs almost everyone was on something so it became less of an issue.

If a guy choses to have a **** diet and **** prep for a fight he might get hurt as a result. Thats a choice thats on him thats part of the sport. If a guy gets an advantage because he broke the rules and the other fighter didnt that is cheating.
Matt Ldn is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum