Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 06:43 PM   #61
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,299
vCash: 773
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Ray Robinson

Robinson was a class above a world above in every way.
Speed
Punching power
Boxing skills
Even Looks if you want to compare everything
SRR may have had even more arrogance than Floyd
There's no way Floyd could win this fight
Theron is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2012, 07:20 PM   #62
Waynegrade
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,192
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Ray Robinson

Theron mentioned Robinson`s arrogance, and that is a very good point. Mayweather fronts wih his arrogance. Where as Robinson`s was legit. He truly believed he was superior, and then went out and proved it. Plus, PBF is a classic cherry-picker. Bery calculating to protect that ), so picking the right opponent at the right time. Robinson? All he did was fight (and beat) THE best at 147-160 and even went after the 175 lbs. crown against a much bigger man. I truly think PBF would be outclassed. You have to remember, PBF had his hands full with a less than prime Oscar. Relative analogy because Oscar had some simlar skills to Robinson, just not nearly as good. SRR 6 rd KO
Waynegrade is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:20 PM   #63
laxpdx
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,389
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Ray Robinson

The only way this might be close is skills. That aside, Robby just has too much firepower and everything else.
laxpdx is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:38 PM   #64
OneMic
newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Ray Robinson

Stylistically even, this match up is horrible for Mayweather. The rangier, more powerful Robinson would definitely get that right hand over the shoulder, primarily because he had the speed to do it. On top of that, Robinson had a good jab to disrupt mayweather (and we all know what cotto did with that jab), but Robinson would have the follow up to it. I appreciate Mayweather's technical ability, and he a defensive master for sure, but he simply does not have the tools to beat Robinson.
OneMic is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:50 PM   #65
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 9,423
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Ray Robinson

that would be quite a lesson for Floyd
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:06 AM   #66
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,853
vCash: 75
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Ray Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJS19 View Post
I'm genuinely curious, if you'd care to expand on that?
Not saying he isn't brilliant but he's made out to be a genius, which is why I consider him very overrated.

The main points for me are;

-If he's this technical wiz what quality technicians has he beaten? He's faced a lot of straight-on, straight-up guys.

-And if he's this great tactician, then what has he had to overcome in order for us to judge that the adjustements he makes are so brilliant?

His 'boxing brain' is overrated IMO just because I haven't seen it ticking over against a sufficient calibre of opponent, technically anyway. Proven against some styles no doubt.

Again, I consider him first class but I think he's mentioned too often among the very greatest operators the sport has ever seen. For that reason, I consider his abilities grossly overrated. Ricardo Lopez as well.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:31 AM   #67
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7,356
vCash: 75
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Ray Robinson

What's your favorite Floyd fight, Flea? Aside from Castillo I.
Hands of Iron is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:35 AM   #68
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,853
vCash: 75
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Ray Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Iron View Post
What's your favorite Floyd fight, Flea? Aside from Castillo I.
Thought Floyd won that handily mate to be honest.

Manfredy. I hate Manfredy.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:07 AM   #69
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Yoknapatawpha
Posts: 3,231
vCash: 475
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Ray Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Not saying he isn't brilliant but he's made out to be a genius, which is why I consider him very overrated.

The main points for me are;

-If he's this technical wiz what quality technicians has he beaten? He's faced a lot of straight-on, straight-up guys.

-And if he's this great tactician, then what has he had to overcome in order for us to judge that the adjustements he makes are so brilliant?

His 'boxing brain' is overrated IMO just because I haven't seen it ticking over against a sufficient calibre of opponent, technically anyway. Proven against some styles no doubt.

Again, I consider him first class but I think he's mentioned too often among the very greatest operators the sport has ever seen. For that reason, I consider his abilities grossly overrated. Ricardo Lopez as well.
Cheap shot at the greatest fighter south of 115 Flea (cause at 115 there its a human wrecking machine named Khaosai)! Anyway to answer you're questions:

-The best technician Floyd beat was Genaro Hernandez a 5'11" semi undefeated long reigning champion. The next best was a past it but not completely shot de la Hoya. I've intentionally lefty out Juan Manuel Marquez but he's there as well although I'll concede mitigating circumstances. The dropoff from those guys is pretty steep but Sharmba Mitchell could box, decently at least.
- As for adjustments: the Judah fight comes to mind although that may be a case if Judah falling apart more than Mayweather figuring him out. Against Carlos Hernandez, he figured out how to fight one handed fairly well. He certainly changed up between Castillo I and II turning a relatively close fight into a relatively unclose fight. He's dealt better with pressure over the second half of fights whether from Cotto, Chavez, or de la Hoya. And he went from fighting the best possible opponent to fighting the best opponentt he was sure to beat, a move so brilliant Benny Leonard just issued a ghost clap from beyond the grave.
LittleRed is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:56 AM   #70
the cobra
Awesomeizationism!
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 5,982
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Ray Robinson

Castillo I is Floyd's best fight, in terms of entertainment, whatever way you had it (I had Castillo by 2 points, but close enough to where I wouldn't call it a robbery).

It's a damn good fight.
the cobra is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:57 AM   #71
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,853
vCash: 75
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Ray Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
Cheap shot at the greatest fighter south of 115 Flea (cause at 115 there its a human wrecking machine named Khaosai)! Anyway to answer you're questions:

-The best technician Floyd beat was Genaro Hernandez a 5'11" semi undefeated long reigning champion. The next best was a past it but not completely shot de la Hoya. I've intentionally lefty out Juan Manuel Marquez but he's there as well although I'll concede mitigating circumstances. The dropoff from those guys is pretty steep but Sharmba Mitchell could box, decently at least.
- As for adjustments: the Judah fight comes to mind although that may be a case if Judah falling apart more than Mayweather figuring him out. Against Carlos Hernandez, he figured out how to fight one handed fairly well. He certainly changed up between Castillo I and II turning a relatively close fight into a relatively unclose fight. He's dealt better with pressure over the second half of fights whether from Cotto, Chavez, or de la Hoya. And he went from fighting the best possible opponent to fighting the best opponentt he was sure to beat, a move so brilliant Benny Leonard just issued a ghost clap from beyond the grave.
I know all of this. I hope you're not assuming I make broad assessments without looking at all the evidence.

Sharmba Mitchell was average.

Your point about adjustments just backs up what I'm saying. But I'm pretty sure you're just winding me up and know where I'm coming from anyway.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:00 AM   #72
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,853
vCash: 75
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Ray Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by the cobra View Post
Castillo I is Floyd's best fight, in terms of entertainment, whatever way you had it (I had Castillo by 2 points, but close enough to where I wouldn't call it a robbery).

It's a damn good fight.
I had it Floyd 114-112 and while I can see a draw I can't really see it for Castillo. Castillo was bloody good as well.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:09 AM   #73
kingfisher3
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: south london
Posts: 684
vCash: 500
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Ray Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by the cobra View Post
Castillo I is Floyd's best fight, in terms of entertainment, whatever way you had it (I had Castillo by 2 points, but close enough to where I wouldn't call it a robbery).
.
i agree, that is the fight were floyd overcame the most problems, so often he has every advantage possible. it is one of his best performances to me because of this, he usually doesn't need heart but he showed it there.

can't think of any circumstances where he could beat a healthy robinson, maybe with modern amateur rules?
kingfisher3 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:28 AM   #74
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Yoknapatawpha
Posts: 3,231
vCash: 475
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Ray Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
I know all of this. I hope you're not assuming I make broad assessments without looking at all the evidence.

Sharmba Mitchell was average.

Your point about adjustments just backs up what I'm saying. But I'm pretty sure you're just winding me up and know where I'm coming from anyway.
I don't know what you're talking about. Wind you up? That's something I would never do. Its just clear that you refuse to see the greatness of Mayweather, making broad generalizations without looking at the evidence. To call Mitchell average is crazy; he beat both Rocky Lockridge and Bazooka Limon effortlessly. Plus Sharmba actually translates to 'he who is very very good'. Why do you hate Floyd do Flea? He brings nothing but joy to millions and has elevated boxing to sports entertainment. He's more ducked than all of Murderers Row combined. Look who ducked him: Tszyu, Paul Williams, Margarito, Pacquiao.

As for the thread Floyd UD 15 Robinson. Several posters have said they can't imagine Mayweather being knocked out because that's never happened before. Mayweather has never lost a fight so by that token I can't see him losing this one.
LittleRed is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:46 AM   #75
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Yoknapatawpha
Posts: 3,231
vCash: 475
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Ray Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
I know all of this. I hope you're not assuming I make broad assessments without looking at all the evidence.

Sharmba Mitchell was average.

Your point about adjustments just backs up what I'm saying. But I'm pretty sure you're just winding me up and know where I'm coming from anyway.
Also I don't know if you realize this but if you read my post and your post... You just agreed that Ricardo Lopez was the best fighter below 115.
LittleRed is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013