Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 11-09-2012, 04:56 PM   #1
Geronimo

vCash: 500
Default I like getting hit, and I'm going to spar for first time tomorrow. Need advice?

Basically, I spar with my friend (who is an amateur boxer) and sometimes we go slow, other times we go quite hard. But in general, I actually don't mind being hit. Obviously, I don't stand there and let him hit me, but when I do get hit, I don't get scared about getting hit again.

Anyway, I am planning to spar at my local boxing gym tomorrow. I have just joined and I asked if I could spar because I know the basics since I've taught myself from videos and books. So the trainer is going to throw me in with another amateur, but this guy has only had 1 fight.

Do I fight him with a walk forward style, or should I box him? I just thought that because I don't mind getting hit, I can just try and walk him down, and make him tired then capitalize.

Thoughts?
Geronimo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2012, 04:59 PM   #2
megavolt
Constantly Shadowboxing
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: I like getting hit, and I'm going to spar for first time tomorrow. Need advice?

Watch some Margarito highlight vids
megavolt is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2012, 04:59 PM   #3
Boxalot
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: I like getting hit, and I'm going to spar for first time tomorrow. Need advice?

****inghell mate, it's sparring. "Capitalize" on what exactly? You're not trying to know the guy out...

You've never seen the guy fight and you don't know his style, so go in there with an open mind, feel him out and adjust accordingly.
Boxalot is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2012, 05:02 PM   #4
MrNastyTime408

Iv never met anyone who likes to get hit ...
MrNastyTime408 is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2012, 05:04 PM   #5
dyna
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1551

Watch round 9 of Golota-Bowe
All you ever need to know how to drop any guy ever is in that round.
dyna is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2012, 05:07 PM   #6
Geronimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxalot View Post
****inghell mate, it's sparring. "Capitalize" on what exactly? You're not trying to know the guy out...

You've never seen the guy fight and you don't know his style, so go in there with an open mind, feel him out and adjust accordingly.
Okay, well I've never sparred in a boxing capacity. I just assumed that when you spar in a boxing gym with rules, you try to do well against the other guy, including knocking him out.
Geronimo is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2012, 05:07 PM   #7
Slyk
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 3000

This guy is working his way toward Troll of the Month.

I admire the dedication he shows to his craft.
Slyk is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2012, 05:07 PM   #8
boxingfanneato
what would MORALES do!
ESB Senior Member

If you have never done it before you could gets tired. An when ur tired i dont care if u got the meaneast chin ur gonna feel it.
boxingfanneato is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2012, 05:09 PM   #9
jeffjoiner
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 5174

Never underestimate an opponent. Ever. You have no idea if this guy can fight or not.

Never overestimate yourself. Ever. You have no idea who you can or can't walk down right now.

Like Boxalot stated, go in with an open mind, and more importantly open eyes and your hands up.
jeffjoiner is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2012, 05:09 PM   #10
Geronimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsoulja View Post
I'd probably put u to sleep.
well if you are an experienced boxer, then probably yes. I mean I am not claiming to be an experienced fighter. I only sparred my friend a few times, and I do a lot of bag and pad work with him too.
Geronimo is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2012, 05:14 PM   #11
prelude
Champion
East Side Guru

Wear a condom.
prelude is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2012, 05:16 PM   #12
HitBattousai
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1375

Talk to the guy you're fighting and the trainer and figure out what kind of sparring it's supposed to be in this case. There's gym war sparring and then sparring just to get used to punches coming your way, etc.
HitBattousai is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #13
kingmurkaveli
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo View Post
Basically, I spar with my friend (who is an amateur boxer) and sometimes we go slow, other times we go quite hard. But in general, I actually don't mind being hit. Obviously, I don't stand there and let him hit me, but when I do get hit, I don't get scared about getting hit again.

Anyway, I am planning to spar at my local boxing gym tomorrow. I have just joined and I asked if I could spar because I know the basics since I've taught myself from videos and books. So the trainer is going to throw me in with another amateur, but this guy has only had 1 fight.

Do I fight him with a walk forward style, or should I box him? I just thought that because I don't mind getting hit, I can just try and walk him down, and make him tired then capitalize.

Thoughts?
Did you write this post so that you could indirectly brag about your ability to box, as well as walking him down? I think this post is pretty useless, because most normal people would just get in theri and see what works. I would walk him down just for fun, then box later just for fun to show off my versitility to the other guys. I know showing off is the main thing on your mind.
kingmurkaveli is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2012, 05:25 PM   #14
Ahurath
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 235

Hit and not get hit, that's the name of the game.
Ahurath is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #15
TheRat
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo View Post

Thoughts?
videos and books
dont worry about anything usually a good trainer will put you with someone that is at your level.
TheRat is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing