Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-10-2012, 01:45 AM   #1
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Is De La Hoya overated?

I'm a huge ODLH fan have been his entire career, So I believe the only real argument True Oscar fans have is that he lost all his biggest fights..Tito Trinidad, Shane Mosley, Bernard Hopkins, etc...So how much does that blimish his legacy, if any? Why and how did he lose that fight against Trinidad!..
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2012, 02:07 AM   #2
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Default Re: Is De La Hoya overated?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] De La Hoya Vs Trinidad

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] Vs Mosley

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] Vs Hopkins, But in case you forgot Oscar is one of the best fighters at 140 and 147 of all time....

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] De La Hoya's greatest Hits. And....

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] Oscar vs Vargas
Old 11-10-2012, 02:13 AM   #3
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121

He's underrated because of a few flops on the big stage. He's faced and beaten so many quality fighters across so many divisions and given so many different looks stylistically. Few ever mention his skills when talking about classic boxers, and while he's not a technical wizard or anything, but he had a variety of tools people collectively seem to overlook.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2012, 02:15 AM   #4
recycling
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Overrated. All he had was good handspeed. Any elite would work him out
recycling is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2012, 02:25 AM   #5
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

[quote=Bogotazo;14171140]He's underrated because of a few flops on the big stage. He's faced and beaten so many quality fighters across so many divisions and given so many different looks stylistically. Few ever mention his skills when talking about classic boxers, and while he's not a technical wizard or anything, but he had a variety of tools people collectively seem to overlook.[/quote

De La Hoya came into that fight with Tito had fought 19 champions he Ko'd 14 of them and beat the others by decision. Look what he did to Mayorga after that loss to Tito. And I agree De De Hoya fought many quality fighters, He always fought the best he could get his hands on ( thats something Mayweather cant say , even though he beat Oscar ). But he was more technical than people give him credit for, for the first 10 rounds of his fight with Tito He was given Felix a boxing lesson.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:31 AM   #6
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycling View Post
Overrated. All he had was good handspeed. Any elite would work him out

But he is one of the elite!...At 140 is was a ****in beast, At WW he was still a force to be reckoned with, Held 5 different Championships in his career, And not to mention Trinidad was for sure apart of the " Elite " and he couldnt do nothin with him. He had much more than just handspeed.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:35 AM   #7
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
He's underrated because of a few flops on the big stage. He's faced and beaten so many quality fighters across so many divisions and given so many different looks stylistically. Few ever mention his skills when talking about classic boxers, and while he's not a technical wizard or anything, but he had a variety of tools people collectively seem to overlook.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:41 AM   #8
ushvinder
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Mosley became a big name because he beat oscar, so i wouldnt really qualify it as a big fight. If your gonna diss oscar for losing to mosley, you have to give him credit for beating ike quartey, who could very easily beat mosley head to head. Technically in a P4P sense fighters like genaro hernandez are just as good as mosley.
ushvinder is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2012, 02:44 AM   #9
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Oscar was a PHENOMENAL boxer.

You can argue his greatness is overstated, but his abilities are not.

De La Hoya was as hyped as Kostya Tszyu by boxing trainers worldwide when he decided to try the pro thing. That should tell anybody who knows anything all they need to know.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2012, 02:50 AM   #10
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ushvinder View Post
Mosley became a big name because he beat oscar, so i wouldnt really qualify it as a big fight. If your gonna diss oscar for losing to mosley, you have to give him credit for beating ike quartey, who could very easily beat mosley head to head. Technically in a P4P sense fighters like genaro hernandez are just as good as mosley.

No! Im not dissin Oscar whats so ever for losin to Mosley, I really believed he was gonna beat the shit ans snot outa Mosley, But reality is Mosley did when those fights, And I love what he did to Quartey. Quarry put Oscar on his ass, And he got up and whipped that ass, And I agree with you!, Head to head Quartey had a very good chance of beating Mosley.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:52 AM   #11
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

And i believe his abilities is what doesnt make him Overated.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:52 AM   #12
ushvinder
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSouthpaw View Post
No! Im not dissin Oscar whats so ever for losin to Mosley, I really believed he was gonna beat the shit ans snot outa Mosley, But reality is Mosley did when those fights, And I love what he did to Quartey. Quarry put Oscar on his ass, And he got up and whipped that ass, And I agree with you!, Head to head Quartey had a very good chance of beating Mosley.
But here is the problem, if oscar doesnt get credit for beating old versions of whitaker and chavez, why should bernard hopkins get credit for beating oscar, de la hoya is significantly smaller than him.
ushvinder is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2012, 02:55 AM   #13
DrBanzai
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Probably even more overrated then Tyson.

Bottom line is he was good but almost always failed when facing true top 5 guys, same as Tyson.
DrBanzai is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2012, 03:26 AM   #14
liljp361
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

no he was pretty good
liljp361 is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2012, 03:36 AM   #15
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ushvinder View Post
But here is the problem, if oscar doesnt get credit for beating old versions of whitaker and chavez, why should bernard hopkins get credit for beating oscar, de la hoya is significantly smaller than him.
Thats true, and not let us forget the beating he put on Camahco!, and yes he did kick Pernell's ass!, And Chavez had no business gettin in the ring with De La Hoya!....

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum