Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 11-10-2012, 12:07 PM   #1
lefe
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Boxing style

Hello everyone.I need some advice.I am 215-220lbs 5,11 1/2 heavyweight,very explosive,fast with hard punch with both hands.My style and built is similar to Mike Tyson,Joe Frazier,David Tua.I have some problems with my trainer.When I work on mitts with him he ask me for to throw 6-8 combination of punches all the time so i get tire after 2-3 rounds.And he tells that I must do that in sparring and fight and that I am not train enough.But I am in good condition,train two time daily,running 5-6 miles,doing cross training pulse around 180-190 and after minute rest to 120.My friend is condition trainer and he tells me that I am in good form.I am with this trainer 1-2 times a week.He also tells me to not throw left hook because I am opening to much.My left hook is the same as Tua or Frazier and is my best punch and most of the fighters i knocked out is with single left hook.He wants to change my style like European fighters(Chagaev) but I think I am closer to American style of fight,pressure swarmer like Dempsey,Frazier,Tua.Please some advice,thanks.
lefe is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2012, 12:23 PM   #2
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Boxing style

1. Your coach most likely knows better than you, hence the reason you go to him to learn.

2. You said a load of stuff but didn't actually ask a clear question.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
Urone2
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

listen to your coach first of all, take some power off your combinations, that will use less energy. If your left hook is you best punch throw make it a secret and let your opponent learn about it the hard way. If your left hook leaves you open shorten it to close the opening or only use it when your opponent is back on his heels and less like to fire anything signifigant back at you. Better yet ask your coach what his solution for your left hook.
Urone2 is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
Urone2
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

one more thing combinations is like sprints, and very different from distance running. you are most likely in great shape but not in combination shape. In order to throw combination back to back, you have to train to do that. I'm not sure of todays training methods but when I trained runners you would train on two different systems. The aerobic an anaerobic systems. Aerobic using oxygen and anaerobic without oxygen, and in combination of both. You need to work your anaerobic system with short recovery, you can do it. If you train to work in short burst with short recovery then you will be able to work the pad the way your coach is requesting.
Urone2 is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #5
lefe
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urone2 View Post
listen to your coach first of all, take some power off your combinations, that will use less energy. If your left hook is you best punch throw make it a secret and let your opponent learn about it the hard way. If your left hook leaves you open shorten it to close the opening or only use it when your opponent is back on his heels and less like to fire anything signifigant back at you. Better yet ask your coach what his solution for your left hook.
I am not beginer.I box over 10 years.My problem is that I am from European state and i cant find trainer for american style of boxing.Trainer says to me dont be low be more straight up and I know that american trainers philosophy is if you are short be more shorter because tall fighter would have hard time to hit you.
lefe is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2012, 02:14 PM   #6
lefe
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urone2 View Post
one more thing combinations is like sprints, and very different from distance running. you are most likely in great shape but not in combination shape. In order to throw combination back to back, you have to train to do that. I'm not sure of todays training methods but when I trained runners you would train on two different systems. The aerobic an anaerobic systems. Aerobic using oxygen and anaerobic without oxygen, and in combination of both. You need to work your anaerobic system with short recovery, you can do it. If you train to work in short burst with short recovery then you will be able to work the pad the way your coach is requesting.
I agree to you and I do aerobic and anaerobic training but I cant puncing nonstop because I am heavyweight.Maybe is problem that my coach was bantam and I am heavy so he think I must have stile like him.
lefe is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2012, 02:15 PM   #7
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefe View Post
I am not beginer.I box over 10 years.My problem is that I am from European state and i cant find trainer for american style of boxing.Trainer says to me dont be low be more straight up and I know that american trainers philosophy is if you are short be more shorter because tall fighter would have hard time to hit you.
If you have 10 years experience and this coach wants to change how you fight maybe there is a good reason for you to change. If you're doing well and you feel he's wrong then go elsewhere. Pretty simple.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2012, 02:29 PM   #8
lefe
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
If you have 10 years experience and this coach wants to change how you fight maybe there is a good reason for you to change. If you're doing well and you feel he's wrong then go elsewhere. Pretty simple.
I was good amateur with 25 fights,18 wins than I had pause but I was always in training.My stile is more suitable for pro, I am 29 so maybe I would turn pro.When i sparred with ex amateur fighter who was amateur champion I stuned him three times in two rounds with left hook and my trainer was satisfied with me and said to me that he would not change my stile but couple weeks after that another story.Maybe he would change his opinion if I do more good sparing seasons.
lefe is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2012, 02:41 PM   #9
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I was good amateur with 25 fights,18 wins than I had pause but I was always in training.My stile is more suitable for pro, I am 29 so maybe I would turn pro.When i sparred with ex amateur fighter who was amateur champion I stuned him three times in two rounds with left hook and my trainer was satisfied with me and said to me that he would not change my stile but couple weeks after that another story.Maybe he would change his opinion if I do more good sparing seasons.
Again, if you think he's wrong for wanting to change your style find another coach.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2012, 01:45 AM   #10
markiepoop
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 650

u probably have much more experience than most people here so just listen to urself
markiepoop is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #11
Urone2
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
I agree to you and I do aerobic and anaerobic training but I cant puncing nonstop because I am heavyweight.Maybe is problem that my coach was bantam and I am heavy so he think I must have stile like him.
You can punch nonstop, its training. I stop trying to box when I was young 16 yrs old. Now I like to hit the heavy bag and I'm 46 yrs old, I throw 3,4, and 5 punch combinations at the bag for 5 minute rounds and I'm not in good shape. I think your first step would be to believe you can. I forgot to mention that I walk around at 230 lbs these days. Take some power off you combination and let them flow. Watch the Mikeal Dokes VS. Evander Holyfield fight, it was combinations smooth and flowing with some power mixed in from time to time. If your trainer gets you to throw 100 punches around on the mitts then 30 per round in a fight should be easy.
Urone2 is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2012, 02:06 AM   #12
cambay411

If your a pressure fighter (or any other style for that matter) you will want to be able to throw 6-8 punch combos. Not a whole lot of power in every punch but to set up your power shot.

When your stance is lower you are actually easier to hit and can be hit harder because your opponent can get more leverage on their punches. A good jab and head movement is what makes you hard to hit. It only seemed Frazier was always low because he was always bobn and weavin.

I would ask him how you can throw your left hook better to not open yourself up. It doesnt make sense that he would tell you not to throw your best punch. Maybe he just meant to not throw as much?

It doesnt sound like hes trying to change your style, it sounds more like hes trying to improve your technique.
cambay411 is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2012, 04:46 AM   #13
Scott-Robson
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 15444

Quote:
My left hook is the same as Tua or Frazier
Scott-Robson is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2012, 08:42 AM   #14
lefe
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambay411 View Post
If your a pressure fighter (or any other style for that matter) you will want to be able to throw 6-8 punch combos. Not a whole lot of power in every punch but to set up your power shot.

When your stance is lower you are actually easier to hit and can be hit harder because your opponent can get more leverage on their punches. A good jab and head movement is what makes you hard to hit. It only seemed Frazier was always low because he was always bobn and weavin.

I would ask him how you can throw your left hook better to not open yourself up. It doesnt make sense that he would tell you not to throw your best punch. Maybe he just meant to not throw as much?

It doesnt sound like hes trying to change your style, it sounds more like hes trying to improve your technique.
Charlie Goldman saying you make a tall fighter look taller and a short fighter shorter.Charlie Goldman was one of the best boxing trainer ever.
lefe is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2012, 07:14 PM   #15
123ko
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

No left hook ,,for a inside boxer thats a shot you need ,,don't really want to call the coach but he should be looking at closing your defense to make you a all round better boxer ,,,,try to throw a right uppercut then the left hook ,,this why the right should go back to the chin when twisting into the left hook
123ko is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing