Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-11-2012, 10:15 AM   #1
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Wladimir Klitschko now holds the record for the longest reign in HW boxing history

. . . without being floored.

This is from the general forum section. Is the poster right?

Quote:
Wladimir Klitschko now holds the record for the longest reign in heavyweight boxing history WITHOUT BEING FLOORED. Meaning he held the heavyweight title(s) for the longest time (in years) without being knocked down. Last time he was knocked down was 2005 against Sam Peter. Now is the end of 2012 and from the Chris Byrd fight in 2006 (which was a world title fight) until today, Wlad has held the heavyweight world championship for 6 1/2 years without being knocked down. This is WORLD RECORD.

And Wlad also set a record as far as consecutive (won) title fights without being knocked down are concerned: 14 times. (no other heavyweight champion in boxing history has ever won 14 straight title fights without being knocked down.)

No other heavyweight world champion has EVER accomplished this.
If anybody can prove me wrong, let me know. It is not gonna happen.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
Boxed Ears
Irony Himmler
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665
Default Re: Wladimir Klitschko now holds the record for the longest reign in heavyweight boxi

He has become a very statistically interesting fighter, Mendoza. Granted, he's also never faced a general consensus great, at any stage of his or their careers, of any size. But, yes, his stats are quite impressive. As are Vitali's, who has never beaten a general consensus great at any stage of his or their careers, of any size.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
OMGWTF
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 535
Default Re: Wladimir Klitschko now holds the record for the longest reign in heavyweight boxi

The competition is sub par. So the record is somewhat tarnished.

Id put my money on Ali or Foreman breaking that record if they were born into this era of HW fighters.

I really like the Klitchkos so I have no idea why Im saying negative things but its still true: The stats are fairly meaningless.
OMGWTF is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2012, 10:46 AM   #4
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGWTF View Post

Id put my money on Ali or Foreman breaking that record if they were born into this era of HW fighters.

I really like the Klitchkos so I have no idea why Im saying negative things but its still true: The stats are fairly meaningless.
Wlad has faced a good amount of punchers during this streak. Haye, Ibragimov, and Brewster. I do not think Wlad has a good chin. I would say its average--better than the some harsh critics might suggest but suspect still to punchers.

This record is a testament to Wlad's skills on offense, defense, stamina, clinching, and footwork. He's a hard guy to tag cleanly, and to get past his jab or right hand is a task where the fighter needs to 1 ) be able to take it. 2 ) Be willing to risk taking it, and 3) have the skills to land once they get into range.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2012, 10:48 AM   #5
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:

I'm not so sure. Foreman was dropped by a light punching Jimmy Young. Ali by a sloppy Chuck Wepner, and nearly Ko'd by a curser weight in Henry Cooper.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2012, 10:55 AM   #6
Boxed Ears
Irony Himmler
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
I'm not so sure. Foreman was dropped by a light punching Jimmy Young. Ali by a sloppy Chuck Wepner, and nearly Ko'd by a curser weight in Henry Cooper.
For Young Foreman was on the verge of hallucination-inducing dehydration and Wepner was actually stepping on Ali's foot, mate.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2012, 11:34 AM   #7
Mrtibbs
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1615

Quote:

They are not meaningless, they have done what they needed to be done and taken out everyone that they could do with a few slip ups along the way. Its a shame there isnt better opposition, but you cant blame them.

Also everyone just assumes that past HW greats would win with ease. I am not so sure. The sport has moved a long way so much since then.

Not saying the Klits win vs Ali or Forum, i just think people put the Oldschool greats on a pedastal too much, and forget how different things like nutrition have changed the sport. Not to mention the massive size difference between an oldschool HW and a Klit.

Just my thoughts.
Mrtibbs is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2012, 11:55 AM   #8
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Meaningless stat really, Joe Louis was champion for 11 years, Holmes for 7.

He's been ABC since '06, only LINEAL since '08.
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2012, 11:56 AM   #9
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

PP read the OP. Its about being knocked down. Who dropped Johnson during his reign?
LittleRed is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2012, 12:00 PM   #10
Peter__1987

vCash:

But, what does the term "floored" mean to you?

Old 11-11-2012, 12:09 PM   #11
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

The K Bros are the dominant heavyweight champions of this era.

Wladimir is the king of the heavyweight division, and he has been since he beat THE hot prospect(Sam Peter) and the #1 heavyweight(Chris Byrd) consecutively.

His competition isn't amazing, but the 7+ years he's going to have with the title will put him up there on any ATG list. Not getting beat, night to night to night, is the HARDEST thing in this sport, frankly, consistency deserves more credit then it gets.

He's gone longer then Mike Tyson before running into a Buster Douglas, and Lennox Lewis before running into a Hasim Rahman. That should be applauded/
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2012, 12:09 PM   #12
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

"Undisputed."
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2012, 12:13 PM   #13
Peter__1987

vCash:

I've got a lot of respect for the K bros, I know they get bashed a lot but it's not their fault the era they are in sucks, Wlad has been dominating for a long time now making really good fighters (Haye) look ordinary.

I think they both would of been a force in any era.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:31 PM   #14
the cobra
Awesomeizationism!
East Side Guru

Not even getting into the undisputed stuff, he's been recognized as the top guy in the division for 6 years now.

6 is not greater than 11 (don't even get me started on 4).
the cobra is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2012, 12:37 PM   #15
the cobra
Awesomeizationism!
East Side Guru

Oh. Longest without being "floored." Yeah, that's uh...I don't really know. Good for him, I guess.
the cobra is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum