Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 07:29 PM   #106
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,299
vCash: 773
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Ray Robinson

Ray Robinsons speed and height would make him perfect to beat Floyd not that this fight would have ever even taken place if they were in the same era though..... And Robsinsons combination punching the 1 2 then the left to the body and then left to the head and then the right cross and Mayweather goes down......
Theron is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2012, 08:53 PM   #107
ripcity
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
Posts: 10,232
vCash: 887
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Ray Robinson

Neither. Ray Leonard > Robinson and Mayweather at 147.
Can either top wins over Benitez (just as good as Leonard in terms of talent. If not better), Duran (who beat Leonard) and Hearns (On paper the best head to head welterweight). Can they? I don't see it. I would also pick Leonard to beat both Robinson and Mayweather at 147.
In Welterweight Championship fights.
Robinson
Tommy Bell UD15 (Wins Championship)
Jimmy Doyle TKO8/15
Chuck Taylor TKO6/15
Bernard Docusen UD15
Kid Gavilan UD15
Charley Fusari PTS15

Mayweather
Zab Judah (Wins IBF) UD12
Carlos Manuel Baldomir (Wins WBC) UD12
Ricky Hatton TKO10
Shane Mosley( Mosley was WBA champion) UD12
Victor Ortiz KO4 (Wins WBC)

I would call both of their resumes in welterweight championship fights solid. Neither has a loss or a draw. They have a combined mark of 11(4)-0-0. I would give a slight advantage to Mayweather.

Robinson at 147 shows more in terms of Talent/Skills/Abillity.
Keep in mind that Robinson was probbly in his prime, while Mayweather who is still very very good is probbly near the end of his career.
ripcity is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #108
Garrus
Big Boss 1935-2014
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: A Hero Forever Loyal To The Flames Of War, Rests in Outer Heaven
Posts: 2,440
vCash: 157
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Ray Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcity View Post
I would call both of their resumes in welterweight championship fights solid.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]


Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcity View Post
Neither has a loss or a draw. They have a combined mark of 11(4)-0-0. I would give a slight advantage to Mayweather.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Garrus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:09 PM   #109
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7,356
vCash: 75
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Ray Robinson

...

Last edited by Hands of Iron; 11-10-2012 at 10:38 PM.
Hands of Iron is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:34 PM   #110
tezel8764
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,941
vCash: 527
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Ray Robinson

Mayweather completely dismantles Walker Smith.
tezel8764 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:58 PM   #111
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Yoknapatawpha
Posts: 3,271
vCash: 475
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Ray Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezel8764 View Post
Mayweather completely dismantles Walker Smith.
Absolutely. Walker Smith Jr on the other hand would beat him fairly comprehensively.
LittleRed is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:30 PM   #112
MadcapMaxie
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,406
vCash: 500
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Ray Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcity View Post
Neither. Ray Leonard > Robinson and Mayweather at 147.
Can either top wins over Benitez (just as good as Leonard in terms of talent. If not better), Duran (who beat Leonard) and Hearns (On paper the best head to head welterweight). Can they? I don't see it. I would also pick Leonard to beat both Robinson and Mayweather at 147.
In Welterweight Championship fights.
Robinson
Tommy Bell UD15 (Wins Championship)
Jimmy Doyle TKO8/15
Chuck Taylor TKO6/15
Bernard Docusen UD15
Kid Gavilan UD15
Charley Fusari PTS15

Mayweather
Zab Judah (Wins IBF) UD12
Carlos Manuel Baldomir (Wins WBC) UD12
Ricky Hatton TKO10
Shane Mosley( Mosley was WBA champion) UD12
Victor Ortiz KO4 (Wins WBC)

I would call both of their resumes in welterweight championship fights solid. Neither has a loss or a draw. They have a combined mark of 11(4)-0-0. I would give a slight advantage to Mayweather.

Robinson at 147 shows more in terms of Talent/Skills/Abillity.
Keep in mind that Robinson was probbly in his prime, while Mayweather who is still very very good is probbly near the end of his career.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
MadcapMaxie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:39 PM   #113
ushvinder
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 323
vCash: 500
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Ray Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcity View Post
Neither. Ray Leonard > Robinson and Mayweather at 147.
Can either top wins over Benitez (just as good as Leonard in terms of talent. If not better), Duran (who beat Leonard) and Hearns (On paper the best head to head welterweight). Can they? I don't see it. I would also pick Leonard to beat both Robinson and Mayweather at 147.
In Welterweight Championship fights.
Robinson
Tommy Bell UD15 (Wins Championship)
Jimmy Doyle TKO8/15
Chuck Taylor TKO6/15
Bernard Docusen UD15
Kid Gavilan UD15
Charley Fusari PTS15

Mayweather
Zab Judah (Wins IBF) UD12
Carlos Manuel Baldomir (Wins WBC) UD12
Ricky Hatton TKO10
Shane Mosley( Mosley was WBA champion) UD12
Victor Ortiz KO4 (Wins WBC)

I would call both of their resumes in welterweight championship fights solid. Neither has a loss or a draw. They have a combined mark of 11(4)-0-0. I would give a slight advantage to Mayweather.

Robinson at 147 shows more in terms of Talent/Skills/Abillity.
Keep in mind that Robinson was probbly in his prime, while Mayweather who is still very very good is probbly near the end of his career.
Benitez is one of the most overrated greats ever, i saw his fight with bruce curry and he basically got a gift. Curry clearly beat him. Benitez is a hall of famer but not an all time great. Way too inconsistent and shot by the age of 24.
ushvinder is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:06 PM   #114
Waynegrade
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,198
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Ray Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ushvinder View Post
Benitez is one of the most overrated greats ever, i saw his fight with bruce curry and he basically got a gift. Curry clearly beat him. Benitez is a hall of famer but not an all time great. Way too inconsistent and shot by the age of 24.
Not sure I agree.. Beating Cervantes at 17,Palomino, Duran fighting SRL hrad and beating Duran, doesn`t qualify as overrated... Shaky chin , yes. But still on historical accomplishment, great.
Waynegrade is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:11 PM   #115
ripcity
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
Posts: 10,232
vCash: 887
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Ray Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrus View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]



[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

At least you have good taste when it comes to movies.
If you want to say that Robinson is the more talented boxer or that he'd win a head to head match up. I have little argument against either. However if you compare who they fought and when they fought them in welterweight championship fights. Mayweather's resume is better. Before you say something like Zab Judha was comming off a loss. So was Charley Fusari. Robinson's win over Kid Gavilan is better than any of Mayweather's championship wins at 147. However if you go by who they beat and at what point in their careers they beat them in welterweight championship fights. Which is the best way to compare two champions from diffrant eras. Mayweather beat better oppoents than Robinson did.
ripcity is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:14 PM   #116
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,556
vCash: 500
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Ray Robinson

I'd be more likely to say Zab Judah is shite, rather than coming off a loss.
lora is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:17 PM   #117
Garrus
Big Boss 1935-2014
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: A Hero Forever Loyal To The Flames Of War, Rests in Outer Heaven
Posts: 2,440
vCash: 157
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Ray Robinson

Garrus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:17 PM   #118
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7,356
vCash: 75
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Ray Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
I'd be more likely to say Zab Judah is shite, rather than coming off a loss.


And why only 'title fights' taken into consideration? Aside from Robinson's record at 147 blowing Floyd's off the map. Or is that the reason?
Hands of Iron is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:19 PM   #119
ushvinder
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 323
vCash: 500
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Ray Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynegrade View Post
Not sure I agree.. Beating Cervantes at 17,Palomino, Duran fighting SRL hrad and beating Duran, doesn`t qualify as overrated... Shaky chin , yes. But still on historical accomplishment, great.
Um no, benitez was as inconsistent as they come, the reason he doesnt catch flak for it is because he fought the fabulous fab 4 guys. He lost to bruce curry and got a gift, was shot past the age of 24 and brutally beaten up by davey moore. A hall of famer, but not an all time great. I thought everyone dismisses his win over duran and says duran was past it, now you want to treat it like a world beater win, double standard, yeah i think so. Oscar De la hoya accomplished more than benitez and Donald Curry would beat him head to head. Only difference is curry didnt fight the fab 4, so he doesnt have the 'fame'. Donald's younger brother beat wilfredo, i have no problem seeing curry beat him.

Oscar always gets hate for losing big fights. Well wilfredo lost his big fights and then he was taken out by davey moore. If anyone was a choker in big fights, its benitez.
ushvinder is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:22 PM   #120
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7,356
vCash: 75
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Ray Robinson

Leonard did fight a particularly good version though.
Hands of Iron is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013