Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2011, 12:00 PM   #1
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 8,697
vCash: 1166
Default Educate me on - Peter Kane

There is not much about him out there.....But I know he was good, and he had a good record....
But :
How good was he ???

Is he a ATG Flyweight ?????

Thank you guys.......
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2011, 12:01 PM   #2
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 19,025
vCash: 836
Default Re: Educate me on - Peter Kane

I'm pretty sure an author Brian Hughes had a good book out on him.

I don't know that much about him, though.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:17 PM   #3
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pazinfowit, USA
Posts: 24,753
vCash: 26665
Default Re: Educate me on - Peter Kane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic-JofreBRASIL View Post
There is not much about him out there.....But I know he was good, and he had a good record....
But :
How good was he ???

Is he a ATG Flyweight ?????

Thank you guys.......

I believe his father, Kwai Chang, while a simple apothecary, was also a knowledgeable fighter, instrumental in Peter's upbringing in the art of combat. Also of note is that "Lo Si" Ping Hai was oft a frequent adviser in Peter's camp who sometimes took the reigns in his training. All in all, a very well-schooled fighter.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:46 PM   #4
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 14,104
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Educate me on - Peter Kane

Kane was one of those strong punchers in the lower weights. He had good upper body strength, which he developed while working with or for a blacksmith.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:47 PM   #5
mckay_89
Haw you!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Funky Town
Posts: 2,285
vCash: 1065
Default Re: Educate me on - Peter Kane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
I believe his father, Kwai Chang, while a simple apothecary, was also a knowledgeable fighter, instrumental in Peter's upbringing in the art of combat. Also of note is that "Lo Si" Ping Hai was oft a frequent adviser in Peter's camp who sometimes took the reigns in his training. All in all, a very well-schooled fighter.
ATG post.
mckay_89 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:47 PM   #6
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 8,697
vCash: 1166
Default Re: Educate me on - Peter Kane

Thanks.......look, posted by Al.....in another thread....

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I think Kane does look good on film here......

Last edited by Vic-JofreBRASIL; 02-20-2011 at 08:41 PM.
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:23 PM   #7
Tin_Ribs
Me
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: South Yorkshire
Posts: 1,397
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Educate me on - Peter Kane

I wish we had more footage of him to observe his documented ko power and blacksmith's upper-body strength, he looks like a powerful, aggressive, mobile (if slightly crude at times) puncher type in the brief clip of the Lynch rematch, though he was young and probably pre-prime after learning his trade in the booths. He looks very good against an atg but the video is too short to get any real idea.

If what I've read about him is true, he seems to have been - reading between the lines - more than a tad unlucky at certain key points throughout his career. He was, as mentioned before, only 19 at the time of first Lynch fight and by all accounts still a bit raw, though his size, strength, power and determination still meant that he gave Benny - who although already sowing the seeds of his own destruction, was still a great fighter - a heck of a go. He did even better in the rematch and could have walked away with the title then had the circumstances been different. I also remember reading somewhere that he badly damaged his right hand against Jurich and had to have his little finger amputated later on, which robbed him of a certain degree of punching power while he was still becoming more complete and well-rounded as an overall fighter. Difficulty in making the weight and the outbreak of the war set him back even further and he was never able to get a shot at the bantamweight title for reasons I don't know. His career seems to have stalled at this point for a good amount of what maybe should have been his best years. Of course, he then ended up draining himself to death to make flyweight, turned up in no real condition to fight against huge-punching Jackie Paterson, got starched in a single round shootout and retired a few months later. We probably never saw what could have been his best years for one reason or another.

Still, he notched up some notable wins during his comeback and snaffled the European bantamweight title when past his best. Nat Fleischer ranked him as his number 9 flyweight in 1958 and Herb Goldman ranked in the top 15 a couple or three decades later (yeah, I know they were biased towards the old timers).

As a basic comparison, I think there's a parallel to be found between Kane and Lynch in that both of them could have lived up to their initial promise a lot more. For different reasons of course with Lynch being the greater talent. Lynch's legacy seems to have embedded itself more in boxing culture than the numerous flyweight champions who followed him: Kane, Paterson, Monaghan, Allen etc
Tin_Ribs is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:21 AM   #8
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 8,697
vCash: 1166
Default Re: Educate me on - Peter Kane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin_Ribs View Post
I wish we had more footage of him to observe his documented ko power and blacksmith's upper-body strength, he looks like a powerful, aggressive, mobile (if slightly crude at times) puncher type in the brief clip of the Lynch rematch, though he was young and probably pre-prime after learning his trade in the booths. He looks very good against an atg but the video is too short to get any real idea.

If what I've read about him is true, he seems to have been - reading between the lines - more than a tad unlucky at certain key points throughout his career. He was, as mentioned before, only 19 at the time of first Lynch fight and by all accounts still a bit raw, though his size, strength, power and determination still meant that he gave Benny - who although already sowing the seeds of his own destruction, was still a great fighter - a heck of a go. He did even better in the rematch and could have walked away with the title then had the circumstances been different. I also remember reading somewhere that he badly damaged his right hand against Jurich and had to have his little finger amputated later on, which robbed him of a certain degree of punching power while he was still becoming more complete and well-rounded as an overall fighter. Difficulty in making the weight and the outbreak of the war set him back even further and he was never able to get a shot at the bantamweight title for reasons I don't know. His career seems to have stalled at this point for a good amount of what maybe should have been his best years. Of course, he then ended up draining himself to death to make flyweight, turned up in no real condition to fight against huge-punching Jackie Paterson, got starched in a single round shootout and retired a few months later. We probably never saw what could have been his best years for one reason or another.

Still, he notched up some notable wins during his comeback and snaffled the European bantamweight title when past his best. Nat Fleischer ranked him as his number 9 flyweight in 1958 and Herb Goldman ranked in the top 15 a couple or three decades later (yeah, I know they were biased towards the old timers).

As a basic comparison, I think there's a parallel to be found between Kane and Lynch in that both of them could have lived up to their initial promise a lot more. For different reasons of course with Lynch being the greater talent. Lynch's legacy seems to have embedded itself more in boxing culture than the numerous flyweight champions who followed him: Kane, Paterson, Monaghan, Allen etc
Great Tin !
Exactly what Im looking for....
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:03 AM   #9
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,875
vCash: 75
Default Re: Educate me on - Peter Kane

One thing I found out: by the time he fought Paterson, Kane had found his work in the RAF made it easier for him to make flyweight again.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013