Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-12-2012, 02:50 AM   #61
MadcapMaxie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Ever meet a champ?

Cheers for the responses Burt and Bill, great reading.

Havn't heard any different opinions on Fenech and Whittaker other then them being pricks ahaha
MadcapMaxie is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2012, 03:14 AM   #62
RockysSplitNose
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Copied this text over from an old thread I posted about 2 years ago about this memorable night:

Best night ever last night - went to an evening with Jake Lamotta staged at a hotel in a local city - was awesome got there a bit early so wentto the downstairs bar to get a drink - and who's sitting at the bar with his fiance but non other than the old Bronx Bull!!!! Ended up buying them both a drink (Jake was on red wine and a packet of cheese & onion flavour crisps) and sitting chatting to them for about 2 hours prior to the meal/talks/memorabilia auction/photo sessions - chatted to him about all sorts - he thinks the 3 best heavyweights ever are Joe Louis, Rocky Marciano and Muhammad Ali in that order, he thinks (as most know already) Ray Robinson was the best fighter ever - he ranks Bob Satterfield as the hardest puncher he ever faced, he said he found the bigger guys (heavyweights) easier because of his style he could wear them down - he thinks Charley Burley was a great fighter but did say "I woulda knacked him ooutt" He thought Holman Williams was as good as Ray Robinson. He thought Tyson could've been one of the greatest heavyweights ever but went "loopy" - he also said that Eugene Hairston was "a great fighter"

he thought Basilio, Zale and Graziano were all good fighter but not great fighters - he thought he would've knacked Hagler ooouut too

oh he also shuck his head in disgust when i said the name Fritzie Zivic and he just went "Diiiiiirrrrddyy fiiighdeer!!!" he did say he really could fight though - but he was the dirtiest fighter he ever faced

Oh and he said he would've liked to have fought Joe Louis - he said "he wouldn't have knaaacked me out"

he also said he thinks he would've beaten Billy Conn

he also said he'd run 5 miles a day when in training - but he hated working on the heavy bag in training - he really didn't seem to like that - he said he didn't really enjoy any of the training - onlythe sparring he liked - he said that's the main thing - the acual fighting - I got the impression he was of the mindset that if I spar loads why do i need to do any other training - whats better training for fighting than actually fighting itself

awesome night all round - also for any english fans look out for a fighter called Mike Mcgarr - real good bloke he was - and damn well knows his stuff on boxing too - I told him to get himself on here

Jake was on awesome form by the way
RockysSplitNose is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2012, 03:22 AM   #63
MadcapMaxie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockysSplitNose View Post
Copied this text over from an old thread I posted about 2 years ago about this memorable night:

Best night ever last night - went to an evening with Jake Lamotta staged at a hotel in a local city - was awesome got there a bit early so wentto the downstairs bar to get a drink - and who's sitting at the bar with his fiance but non other than the old Bronx Bull!!!! Ended up buying them both a drink (Jake was on red wine and a packet of cheese & onion flavour crisps) and sitting chatting to them for about 2 hours prior to the meal/talks/memorabilia auction/photo sessions - chatted to him about all sorts - he thinks the 3 best heavyweights ever are Joe Louis, Rocky Marciano and Muhammad Ali in that order, he thinks (as most know already) Ray Robinson was the best fighter ever - he ranks Bob Satterfield as the hardest puncher he ever faced, he said he found the bigger guys (heavyweights) easier because of his style he could wear them down - he thinks Charley Burley was a great fighter but did say "I woulda knacked him ooutt" He thought Holman Williams was as good as Ray Robinson. He thought Tyson could've been one of the greatest heavyweights ever but went "loopy" - he also said that Eugene Hairston was "a great fighter"

he thought Basilio, Zale and Graziano were all good fighter but not great fighters - he thought he would've knacked Hagler ooouut too

oh he also shuck his head in disgust when i said the name Fritzie Zivic and he just went "Diiiiiirrrrddyy fiiighdeer!!!" he did say he really could fight though - but he was the dirtiest fighter he ever faced

Oh and he said he would've liked to have fought Joe Louis - he said "he wouldn't have knaaacked me out"

he also said he thinks he would've beaten Billy Conn

he also said he'd run 5 miles a day when in training - but he hated working on the heavy bag in training - he really didn't seem to like that - he said he didn't really enjoy any of the training - onlythe sparring he liked - he said that's the main thing - the acual fighting - I got the impression he was of the mindset that if I spar loads why do i need to do any other training - whats better training for fighting than actually fighting itself

awesome night all round - also for any english fans look out for a fighter called Mike Mcgarr - real good bloke he was - and damn well knows his stuff on boxing too - I told him to get himself on here

Jake was on awesome form by the way
Lamotta is nails, still kicking.

Honestly tho Louis would've taken Lamotta out in very devastating fashion.
MadcapMaxie is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2012, 09:31 AM   #64
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

About a year ago I saw LaMotta and was impressed with the shape he's in physically at 90 years old. He was able to walk the stairs (a little bit slowly, but he did it without help) and he seemed very aware of what was going on.

Unfortunately, I can't say that I "met" him, though. I've only seen him up close and in person.

The above post about him is great.
Bill1234 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum