sugarngold is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2012, 04:26 PM   #17
The Spider

vCash:
Default Re: MMA guys using non sports specific training IE Combat ropes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown View Post
seems like boranbkk and Big Red have actually trained fought and understand my points. Combat ropes looks good on TV..makes your muslces look all muscley while you do...but with limited and time resources and energy..it isnt the best thing to do as a fighter.but of course..what would someone like Stoo actually know about being a fighter?
Perhaps you should do us all a favor and go find a piece of rope
Old 11-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #18
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by boranbkk View Post
Got to admit Primate, I've never used a pair of ropes. I don't even ever remember seeing a pair "in my day", they seem to have creeped in over the last decade or so.

I'm not saying their isn't a place for new S&C ideas and equipment, we all agree a fitter stronger fighter is a better fighter. My issue is how much time is given over to them to the possible detriment of actual fight skills and training.
They're great for conditioning. We used to use them in my gym when i use to spar. Personally i'm not a massive fan of all these 'New Age' techniques. But ultimately you find a recipe that works for you and stick to it. That said i'm a great fan of conditioning and it helps my training immensely.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #19
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

thing is..in mma..you have so many different skills to learn..i mean hell boxers can spend hours a day training just boxing for yearsand never learn "it all". the same can be said for any kicking art, or wrestling, and defintely something like BJJ. if you are going to take time, and engery, to do ropes, you are going to lose time and engery to do the other things. spend a hour going over grappling form and 40 minutes grappling hard. spend a hour going over stand up form and 40 mintues going hard (bag work, hard mitts, heavy sparring).
Johnstown is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2012, 08:07 PM   #20
Primate
Belt holder
ESB Addict

So no conditioning work at all? That's your idea?

You are an idiot.
Primate is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2012, 06:09 AM   #21
Ireland
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red View Post
I think your better off using all your energy and time practicing the sport you compete in.

Its harder with something like boxing because you can't spar all the time because its not good to get hit to much, but grappling you can practice till you don't have an ounce of energy left in your body.

If I was training serious MMA fighters I would train their bodies with combat alone. Although I would limit striking somwhat as it can wear fighters down taking to many hard strikes.

How much swimming would you get a runner to do or vice verca? Its the same thing with combat, but even more so as they are more techinical. You can burn a lot of enegy with take downs alone. And there are many other disciplines to be practiced. So really there is not time or energy for weights or swimming. That time spent in the pool or lifting weights is better off used perfecting fighting techniques.

For boxing the second best thing after sparring is padwork, should be done nearly every day to the full 12 rounds that you need to complete.

If the trainer can throw medium level punches back toward head and body that is essentially what training should comprise of.
Ireland is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2012, 06:12 AM   #22
Ireland
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
thing is..in mma..you have so many different skills to learn..i mean hell boxers can spend hours a day training just boxing for yearsand never learn "it all". the same can be said for any kicking art, or wrestling, and defintely something like BJJ. if you are going to take time, and engery, to do ropes, you are going to lose time and engery to do the other things. spend a hour going over grappling form and 40 minutes grappling hard. spend a hour going over stand up form and 40 mintues going hard (bag work, hard mitts, heavy sparring).
This is bang on, although id say you can add weightlifting, especially powerlifting and olympic lifting into the mix.
Ireland is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2012, 06:13 AM   #23
Ireland
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primate View Post
So no conditioning work at all? That's your idea?

You are an idiot.

Surely conditioning would happen via the sport?

Maybe sprints, a long run would be once a week or every 2 weeks just to have that cross over?

Its interesting debate im always wanting to find out what is best for the athelte.
Ireland is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2012, 06:40 AM   #24
Primate
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post
Surely conditioning would happen via the sport?
Yes, this happens in every sport. That's why no one in any athletic endeavour ever does any sort of conditioning outside of the skill training required for that particular sport.
Primate is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2012, 07:32 AM   #25
PIRA
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Ropes of all forms are an excellent way to improve your grip and allows you to get better leverage into your throws for Judo IMO. Handy for gi work and of course street encounters.
PIRA is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2012, 01:27 AM   #26
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primate View Post
Yes, this happens in every sport. That's why no one in any athletic endeavour ever does any sort of conditioning outside of the skill training required for that particular sport.
my point is mma has so many different things too it...many of them that can be done in a intensive condition building way...stand up sparring.boxing and mauy thai both...hard bag work, mitt work...(all working the muscles in similar ways the rope does..but also improving punching power and form). than of course rollling..grappling..which is a awesome conditioning too. of course i think some room can be found for other work..and boxers do do things like ab work (although if you are doing pendulum swings you will get lots of ab working doing that...still i could see doing some ropes...i just think too many guys focus on that shit and there fighting workouts end up being cross fit workouts. The vast majority of your time should be spent doing sports specific movement...espically when you can find so many that really do work your conditioning in such a intense way.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:28 AM   #27
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIRA View Post
Ropes of all forms are an excellent way to improve your grip and allows you to get better leverage into your throws for Judo IMO. Handy for gi work and of course street encounters.
yeah fine..do it for 5 mintues at the end of the work out than.but i have seen plenty of gyms where they spend half an hour doing that shit...just grappling will give you a hell of allot grip strength work..and it will also make you better at grappling.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:30 AM   #28
PIRA
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
yeah fine..do it for 5 mintues at the end of the work out than.but i have seen plenty of gyms where they spend half an hour doing that shit...just grappling will give you a hell of allot grip strength work..and it will also make you better at grappling.
Sounds like bullshit here. Do you travel the country comparing how much rope work each gym does? What's the ****ing point of that? And "just grappling" may not address an individuals flaws - sounds like an observation from someone who has no experience.

What are your coaching credentials that you think you know better than "all these gyms"?
PIRA is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2012, 09:21 AM   #29
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIRA View Post
Sounds like bullshit here. Do you travel the country comparing how much rope work each gym does? What's the ****ing point of that? And "just grappling" may not address an individuals flaws - sounds like an observation from someone who has no experience.

What are your coaching credentials that you think you know better than "all these gyms"?
my coaching credentials is that i was a fair amateur boxer who has done a bit of mma training for fun. I suck on the ground though i've gotten better i have no real wish to work at it. having said that I have sparred with pro mma fighter at standup..and most y suck, realtive speaking..most come from wrestling backgrounds..so they do actually do a fair amount of grappling..than they do a bunch of cross fit shit...and have almost nothing left for boxing (i think because in truth, they aint good at it..so they dont want to train it..and they dont like sparring). when i do spar them i am generally not impressed..given the fact that i was never a great boxer and am not really training at all now. Hence my thought that most of these guys would benifit from more skill work, or even sports specific conditioning work (like the heavy bag).

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum