ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ
East Side VIP

vCash: 5526
Default Re: Tyson Fury vs. Kevin Johnson, December 1st

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl-hickey View Post
If Tyson Fury wins cleanly you should eat your hat
Oh sure... If i had one that is
But I can't get the Pajkic image out of my mind. And then the fact that even current Johnson is 2 levels above the Canadian, hits much harder and has a much better chin.
Robney is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2012, 07:34 AM   #32
itsa huge bitch
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 762

fury ud (possibly hometown)
itsa huge bitch is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2012, 12:55 PM   #33
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 36829

Quote:
Serious question did Fury have trouble with rogan?

i remember it as basically one sided domination.
Rogie clearly took the 1st two, IMO. (and in the opinion of all of the many ESB observers commenting in the RBR)

Then of course Fury scored the KD and never trailed or seemed to lose control of the action again.

There were a couple of shots landed in those six minutes that made backers of the slowly revving Fury soil their longjohns, maybe not to the diaper blowout degree that Firtha and Pajkic did, but enough. Clench their anuses in taut anxiety, at the very least.

He was also too hittable all the way until the stoppage, with Rogie still getting his licks in as late as the fifth but with nowhere near the confidence and mustard-lathering as in 1 & 2.

The more optimistic takeaway besides taking a while to warm up and never really patching up his defense is that he did come back with a vengeance offensively in the third and the southpaw experiment strangely enough wasn't a total disaster for him.

He's clearly trying to improve as of that night; I'm just not sure how much he actually is.

If you remember one-sided domination through four-and-change, you need to go watch it again. That isn't what anybody else saw.

Quote:
Also, Fury seems to be improving, he's only 24 and a superheavy (who peak late) so nowhere near Prime yet
I'll concede that point, and he's been a pro only four years, and learning on the job with a scant 31-4 (26) amateur record.

However, the regression against Pajkic and Firtha can't be denied. That flabby & dumbfounded Fury would've lost to the same Chisora he'd met earlier in the year.

He's appeared to improve in 2012...against Rogan, marginally - and considerably more against Maddalone. However, those can be viewed as progressive steps down in competition from Firtha and Pajkic (who were themselves major steps down from Chisora). The level of competition could be inflating whatever improvements he's made and creating a mirage that he's back to or beyond his Chisora self when in fact he may not be. Johnson might give us a clearer indication of whether he is. Certainly it's a leap back up to roughly the level of overall competition he faced in '11, with Johnson probably nestled in above Firtha and Pajkic but still below Chisora.

Quote:
Seth Mitchell is 30, and a small heavyweight, he's in his absoloute prime, this is it for Mitchell, he wont be getting any better
Mitchell has been a pro the same amount of time as Fury.

He had a quarter as many amateur bouts as Fury, and so is even more a "working student".

He is about five times the natural athlete Fury is.

He is a pure puncher, which is more the type of heavyweight that endures into "old ring age" than a volume-hitting boxer-brawler like Fury. (power's the last to go, long after energy and stamina are sapped away) Obviously defensive guys like Johnson are going to accumulate the least damage and thus be most disposed toward prolonging their careers and milking their flagging ability, or Holy Crusader obsessive workhorse gymrats like Holyfield - but neither Fury nor Mitchell fit either bill.

I'm not sure Mitchell won't continue to polish his rough edges, or that he won't build himself up to as great an extent as the seemingly very touch-and-go 2-steps-forward-3-back-2-forward-again Fury.

Look at their trainers, it's a wash. Virtually unknown Andre Hunter against Fury's uncle. Promoters, I tend to think Golden Boy is going to have a better idea how to develop a potentially very lucrative heavyweight - and have more cash to dump into the project - than Mick.

IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2012, 01:22 PM   #34
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by |A|C|S| View Post
i think Johnson would beat Mitchell based on styles, Johnson is one lazy mofo but Mitchell would be walkin right into him so he could land decent power punches and have Mitchell missin
i think Fury UD's him just from workrate Johnson will land the better shots and maybe hurt Fury a couple times but Fury will out jab and outwork him in a scrappy fight
Outworking him goes without saying...but outjab him? You think?

That's about the last thing I'd expect, even with Fury holding advantages in height and reach and being far likelier to come forward and look to set up offense behind his jab.

Fury's is alright, but Johnson for all his downside still does carry a top 3 jab in the division to my eyes. It's like a poor man's Holmes', which is still high praise. It's virtually the sole foundation of his name ever getting built up at all, along with his brand of defensive slickness (which is every bit as much a liability given most judges' preferences in scoring criteria). Fury's jab is hardly his bread and butter, just one of the staples in his pantry.

In terms of the jab as a tool used to implement either man's game plan, it's easier to picture KJ using his to keep Fury's fury at bay (for a time) than envisioning Tyson splitting Johnson's guard with his and creating openings to drop in flurries unhindered on a reluctant target.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #35
BadDog
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Johnson is awful, he is like Audley Harrison, a boxer who doesn't punch for some reason. Why even become a pro boxer if you don't punch. It's like a pilot who doesn't fly.
BadDog is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2012, 01:29 PM   #36
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadDog View Post
Johnson is awful, he is like Audley Harrison, a boxer who doesn't punch for some reason. Why even become a pro boxer if you don't punch. It's like a pilot who doesn't fly.
His right is a bastard, actually, but it's a secret he usually holds close to the chest.

He'll need to find some confidence and let it off the leash to have a chance at the upset. 36 minutes of jabs on the backfoot won't serve him on the Emerald Isle. Not with the big lad bringing the heat and looking to extend his momentum & tale of redemption from the rest of this year with sights fixed on his biggest scalp since Del Boy. Kev needs to crack him with something that really smarts - preferably early - and instill that same doubt that flickered across his face vs. Neven and Nikola (and to a much lesser extent, Martin).
Old 11-13-2012, 01:34 PM   #37
danieljenkins
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Fury wins a gift decision
danieljenkins is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2012, 01:39 PM   #38
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

I've yet to gather whether Tyson's minor WBO trinket will be on the line. Certainly the American isn't vying for one of his domestic toys.

It will probably be scheduled for twelve, in any event.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:01 PM   #39
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
I've yet to gather whether Tyson's minor WBO trinket will be on the line. Certainly the American isn't vying for one of his domestic toys.

It will probably be scheduled for twelve, in any event.
...note that Kingpin isn't even top 15 in the WBO, where IC champ Fury is #7.

Then again, he's ranked all the way down at #32 in the WBC - Fury is #3 - but I'm now reading this could be a title eliminator to meet (or rematch) Vitali Klitschko.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:20 PM   #40
bigeddie27
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadDog View Post
He is nothing like Fraudley. Fraudley had no chin and terrible defense. His offense ****ign sucked too. Kingping has a great jab and superb defense. He had a good fight with the #1 heavyweight in the world who is dominating everyone. And that fight would have gone a lot different if Vitali was not allowed 1:30 between rounds. Utter ****ing bullshit. Kingpin is going to school Fury and win by KO. He is the only american heavyweight we got. And he KO's Seth Mitchell afterwards. Hopefully Kingpin gets a shot against Wlad, and even better, a rematch with Vitali.
bigeddie27 is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2012, 02:21 PM   #41
bigeddie27
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Roger View Post
I think you forgot about the time when Kingpin skillfully dismantled Vitali Klitschko & was robbed
I dont think he got robbed in the sense you are thinking. He definitely got robbed due to the fact Vitali was allowed 1:30 between rounds. Despicable.
bigeddie27 is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #42
BOGART
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
...note that Kingpin isn't even top 15 in the WBO, where IC champ Fury is #7.

Then again, he's ranked all the way down at #32 in the WBC - Fury is #3 - but I'm now reading this could be a title eliminator to meet (or rematch) Vitali Klitschko.
I'm a fan of Johnson's but if this becomes an eliminator for Vitali I'll be pulling for Fury. I don't think anyone wants to see that fight again.
BOGART is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #43
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOGART View Post
I'm a fan of Johnson's but if this becomes an eliminator for Vitali I'll be pulling for Fury. I don't think anyone wants to see that fight again.
How attractive is Klitschko vs. Fury, though?

I suppose still better than Klitschko vs. Johnson II.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:01 PM   #44
BOGART
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
How attractive is Klitschko vs. Fury, though?

I suppose still better than Klitschko vs. Johnson II.

I don't mind Vitali-Fury, I guess it could be an ugly but somewhat fun fight, but Klitschko-Johnson 2 is a pretty scary scenario.
BOGART is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2012, 03:03 PM   #45
Chappy112
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 3000

I really think Johnson has a big chance here! Just needs to let his hands go more.
Chappy112 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum