Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 08:05 PM   #121
Waynegrade
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,198
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Ray Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ushvinder View Post
Um no, benitez was as inconsistent as they come, the reason he doesnt catch flak for it is because he fought the fabulous fab 4 guys. He lost to bruce curry and got a gift, was shot past the age of 24 and brutally beaten up by davey moore. A hall of famer, but not an all time great. I thought everyone dismisses his win over duran and says duran was past it, now you want to treat it like a world beater win, double standard, yeah i think so. Oscar De la hoya accomplished more than benitez and Donald Curry would beat him head to head. Only difference is curry didnt fight the fab 4, so he doesnt have the 'fame'. Donald's younger brother beat wilfredo, i have no problem seeing curry beat him.

Oscar always gets hate for losing big fights. Well wilfredo lost his big fights and then he was taken out by davey moore. If anyone was a choker in big fights, its benitez.
Duran wasn`t THAT Duran, but he still was a top class fighter... Benitez was done early. Started young, too young and flamed out early. As for Bruce Curry/Bentiez. Wake up! Clay had his Jones, Foreman had his Peralta,Tyson his Tillis. All great young fighters have THAT tough fight coming up, where they learn from it and become a better fighter for it.Besides boxing guru, what foes this have to do with PBF/SRR ????
Waynegrade is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #122
ushvinder
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 323
vCash: 500
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Ray Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynegrade View Post
Duran wasn`t THAT Duran, but he still was a top class fighter... Benitez was done early. Started young, too young and flamed out early. As for Bruce Curry/Bentiez. Wake up! Clay had his Jones, Foreman had his Peralta,Tyson his Tillis. All great young fighters have THAT tough fight coming up, where they learn from it and become a better fighter for it.Besides boxing guru, what foes this have to do with PBF/SRR ????
There's a difference between having a tough fight and getting a gift decision. Wilfred Benitez is below de la hoya on my all time lists, very overrated fighter.
ushvinder is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:14 PM   #123
Waynegrade
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,198
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Ray Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ushvinder View Post
There's a difference between having a tough fight and getting a gift decision. Wilfred Benitez is below de la hoya on my all time lists, very overrated fighter.
Boxing historians disagree with you ... As for DeLahoya, I thnk he was an awesome fighter. You need to relax when it comes to benitez... No one is calling him the best, but in terms of historical accomplishment, what he did by beating a damn good fighter in Kid Pambele at 17 is significant ! And beating Palomino. DElahoya would have had some issues with prime Beitez, look at the problems he had with Whitaker. The Benitez that beat Palomino, would pose some problems...Again, this post is about THE greatest of them all, Robinson !
Waynegrade is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:45 PM   #124
ushvinder
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 323
vCash: 500
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Ray Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynegrade View Post
Boxing historians disagree with you ... As for DeLahoya, I thnk he was an awesome fighter. You need to relax when it comes to benitez... No one is calling him the best, but in terms of historical accomplishment, what he did by beating a damn good fighter in Kid Pambele at 17 is significant ! And beating Palomino. DElahoya would have had some issues with prime Beitez, look at the problems he had with Whitaker. The Benitez that beat Palomino, would pose some problems...Again, this post is about THE greatest of them all, Robinson !
Which boxing historians, the ones stuck in the past? He stunk the joint out against cervantes, hardly a dominant win. He also drew with harold weston. Oscar dwarfs him in longevity and has the better resume. Oscar fought close fights with ike quartey and pernell, not losing a gift to bruce curry. Where is wilfredo on your all time list by the way, hes barely top 100 for me.
ushvinder is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:09 AM   #125
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,988
vCash: 75
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Ray Robinson

Ushvinder never fails to amaze.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:02 AM   #126
Waynegrade
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,198
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Ray Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Ushvinder never fails to amaze.
Pretty comical right !
Waynegrade is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:37 AM   #127
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canada!!!!
Posts: 2,215
vCash: 500
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Ray Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ushvinder View Post
Which boxing historians, the ones stuck in the past? He stunk the joint out against cervantes, hardly a dominant win. He also drew with harold weston. Oscar dwarfs him in longevity and has the better resume. Oscar fought close fights with ike quartey and pernell, not losing a gift to bruce curry. Where is wilfredo on your all time list by the way, hes barely top 100 for me.
sorry to join the party so late. and you ranking oscar above benitez?
Nightcrawler is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:57 PM   #128
NoNeck
Pugilist Specialist
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,275
vCash: 500
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Ray Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler View Post
sorry to join the party so late. and you ranking oscar above benitez?
I definitely rate Oscar above Benitez. There's a gap between them.
NoNeck is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #129
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canada!!!!
Posts: 2,215
vCash: 500
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Ray Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNeck View Post
I definitely rate Oscar above Benitez. There's a gap between them.
interesting can you elaborate why?
Nightcrawler is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:13 PM   #130
NoNeck
Pugilist Specialist
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,275
vCash: 500
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Ray Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler View Post
interesting can you elaborate why?
He sustained his greatness for a longer period and over a larger range of weightclasses. Both fought great fighters, winning some and losing some. Benitez fought the harder ones in Hearns and Leonard, but lost clearly to. Oscar fought more of them and fared better in general, either winning or losing controversially. Oscar's depth sets him apart.
NoNeck is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:35 PM   #131
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canada!!!!
Posts: 2,215
vCash: 500
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Ray Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNeck View Post
He sustained his greatness for a longer period and over a larger range of weightclasses. Both fought great fighters, winning some and losing some. Benitez fought the harder ones in Hearns and Leonard, but lost clearly to. Oscar fought more of them and fared better in general, either winning or losing controversially. Oscar's depth sets him apart.
by your criteria, that makes sense. thanks for elaborating. the one thing is, benitez often looked brilliant even in his losses. oscar looked good in "losing" to trinidad and even mosley 1. oscar does have a depth to his resume from 130-160, fighting tremendous opposition really from 135-154.

two things set benitez a bit apart for me:

1)oscar never (imo) looked BRILLIANT. benitez's skill is evident in film. oscar was very very good, i have just never been in awe of his skills

2)benitez has looked a bit better against top, top opposition. Watching him dismantle duran is amazing, add that to palimino and cervantes and that is a fine record against pretty elite guys. Sure he lost to hearns and leonard but the consensus is, they were pretty close. on the flip side, his prime was short and when he started losing his skills, it went downhill QUICK

for oscar, no one really counts his loss to tito, the mosley fight was close and he has quartey, vargas and a past prime chavez on his resume to. pretty damn good. oscar was never dominated until hopkins, in a silly money fight and by the time pac got to him he was shot.

closer comparison than I felt at first glance, have to give it some thought
Nightcrawler is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:05 PM   #132
ushvinder
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 323
vCash: 500
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Ray Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler View Post
sorry to join the party so late. and you ranking oscar above benitez?
Yes i do, better resume and far greater longevity. I reward oscar for being competitive with floyd at age 34, benitez was a nobody by the time he was 27-28. For all time lists i look at overall career, not ingore shortcoming because someone might be a fighter from an era that everyone loves.
ushvinder is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:52 AM   #133
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,988
vCash: 75
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Ray Robinson

Not an 'era everyone loves' but clearly a better time. Although the 90s was excellent IMO.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:41 AM   #134
ushvinder
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 323
vCash: 500
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Ray Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Not an 'era everyone loves' but clearly a better time. Although the 90s was excellent IMO.
Thats debatable, if you look past the 'fab4' hype, the 80s and 90s were neck and neck in terms of talent. 90's clearly had the better heavyweight division, better middleweight/168 division, and I would say 90's had the better fighters from 105-122.
ushvinder is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:02 AM   #135
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,988
vCash: 75
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Ray Robinson

Then you have absolutely no clue about the lower weights whatsoever. Seriously. So indefensible I would leave it right there if I were you.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013