Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 11-14-2012, 03:42 AM   #16
David UK
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain&Northern Ireland
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Flintoff looking Slim!!!

I'd like to see Flintoff do well, but pro boxing is a serious business and I suspect he'll get knocked out against pretty much whoever he faces.

The last i heard he was due to fight an American who was 2-0.
David UK is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2012, 03:53 AM   #17
Clarky Cat
Stalwart
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

I don't know when this photo was taken, but he looks in no worse shape than Enzo Macc:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Clarky Cat is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2012, 04:04 AM   #18
freddieMaize
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieMc View Post
Lads, think about this logically. This ISN'T a serious career move, this is just for a crappy reality programme he's doing for Sky1. If he was serious about being a boxer then he'd have some amateur bouts and learn properly like other fighters do. That I'd respect him for.

No, NOT everyone can do it. That's what makes it so respectable. All this crap about it inspiring people is nonsense. All it's doing is making the sport look ridiculous because people will think that it's piss easy to do.

I'm not an "elitist" by any means. I just a fan like all of you. I just don't like it when I feel the sport I enjoy is being made to look like a joke.

Boxing doesn't need the type of "exposure" that he's supposedly going to bring to it. It's doing fine enough already and we've got some cracking heavyweights with a lot of potential. British Boxing doesn't some Z-list celebrity to get in the ring and embarrass himself all for some cheap publicity.
Few months ago there was a thread by a 30 year old asking us if he was too old to start boxing.. He realized his interest only after 30 years. Freddie should be no different than him. Give the man a break.
freddieMaize is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2012, 05:06 AM   #19
Claypole
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 922

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarky Cat View Post
I don't know when this photo was taken, but he looks in no worse shape than Enzo Macc:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
I think he looks better in all honesty.
Claypole is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2012, 05:24 AM   #20
Lee Smith
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddieMaize View Post
Few months ago there was a thread by a 30 year old asking us if he was too old to start boxing.. He realized his interest only after 30 years. Freddie should be no different than him. Give the man a break.
Fair point, but I think the gripe some people have is that he is using his 'celebrity status' to jump straight into Pro Boxing. I don't think many people could do that. I only got into boxing myself at about 31 years old, but as I didn't have the money behind me (or an ounce of the talent required!) I would never have dreamt about turning Pro with no experience, and ended up taking up White Collar as a hobby (which is something Freddie could have done, or look into the Ams)
Lee Smith is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2012, 05:27 AM   #21
Claypole
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 922

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Smith View Post
Fair point, but I think the gripe some people have is that he is using his 'celebrity status' to jump straight into Pro Boxing. I don't think many people could do that. I only got into boxing myself at about 31 years old, but as I didn't have the money behind me (or an ounce of the talent required!) I would never have dreamt about turning Pro with no experience, and ended up taking up White Collar as a hobby (which is something Freddie could have done, or look into the Ams)
You can't blame Freddie for using whatever status he has to get as good a start as possible. At least we get to see his debut on telly, which will be interesting at the least.
Claypole is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2012, 07:14 AM   #22
freddieMaize
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypole View Post
You can't blame Freddie for using whatever status he has to get as good a start as possible. At least we get to see his debut on telly, which will be interesting at the least.
True. He is just using his advantages. What wrong. Wont we if we had some?
freddieMaize is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2012, 06:06 AM   #23
Its me you see
Journeyman

Quote:
Lads, think about this logically. This ISN'T a serious career move, this is just for a crappy reality programme he's doing for Sky1. If he was serious about being a boxer then he'd have some amateur bouts and learn properly like other fighters do. That I'd respect him for.

No, NOT everyone can do it. That's what makes it so respectable. All this crap about it inspiring people is nonsense. All it's doing is making the sport look ridiculous because people will think that it's piss easy to do.

I'm not an "elitist" by any means. I just a fan like all of you. I just don't like it when I feel the sport I enjoy is being made to look like a joke.

Boxing doesn't need the type of "exposure" that he's supposedly going to bring to it. It's doing fine enough already and we've got some cracking heavyweights with a lot of potential. British Boxing doesn't some Z-list celebrity to get in the ring and embarrass himself all for some cheap publicity.
They say theres no such thing as bad publicity
Its me you see is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2012, 06:17 AM   #24
RickieLambert
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its me you see View Post
They say theres no such thing as bad publicity
try telling jimmy saville's family that...
RickieLambert is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2012, 06:18 AM   #25
Robney
ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ
East Side VIP

vCash: 5736

I saw a training vid here on ESB and thought "what the hell is this guy doing as a pro heavyweight?!"

He doesn't even seem to be able to trow a decent punch, let alone have actual talent for the sport.
He probably was a good cricket player but it's embarrasing that he gets this much attention, it's like we get a "boxing with the stars" kinda deal here. So called celebrities training a couple of months for a sport/activity they have no feeling or talent for, and then perform for a national audience in a safe and protected environment and still manage to screw it up.
Robney is online now  Top
Old 11-15-2012, 06:58 AM   #26
leo_messi
Belt holder
ESB Addict

How many rds is it?
leo_messi is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2012, 07:28 AM   #27
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
British Boxing doesn't some Z-list celebrity to get in the ring and embarrass himself all for some cheap publicity.

David Haye will be disappointed to hear that.
Unforgiven is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum