Old 11-14-2012, 12:36 AM   #196
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Is De La Hoya overated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynegrade View Post
That should have been his career defining victory. I bet he would do that one over if he could ...

I bet he would too, So why was there no rematch?
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2012, 12:38 AM   #197
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaNasakki View Post
Absolutely, that hangs over him in public opinion.

He still won the fight on a competent scorecard.
Ive scored that fight a few times and DLH always comes out on top.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:41 AM   #198
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

DLH Vs. Manny
Old 11-14-2012, 03:04 AM   #199
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
Frazier and Liston will surprise you.

Joe Frazier 10-4 (9-4 if you don't count Foster)
Sonny Liston 8-4
Color me surprised.

Robbie Duran: 19-11

Things got really ****ing ugly after 1980. Yeah, I dont give a shit if Marcel wasn't "rated". Should've included Guts too.
Hands of Iron is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2012, 01:41 PM   #200
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Iron View Post
Color me surprised.

Robbie Duran: 19-11

Things got really ****ing ugly after 1980. Yeah, I dont give a shit if Marcel wasn't "rated". Should've included Guts too.
Wow my man!..
Old 11-14-2012, 01:42 PM   #201
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

what changed after 1980!?..
Old 11-14-2012, 01:54 PM   #202
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

He started losing. A lot.
Hands of Iron is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #203
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Iron View Post
He started losing. A lot.
It happens to all greats, pride goes a long way in boxing most great fighters dont know there done till they get there ass handed to them...its sad
Old 11-14-2012, 05:38 PM   #204
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

DLH being one of them, watchin his fight with Manny was sad, even sadder to watch him quit in the middle of a fight, but he was done and everyone knew it
Old 11-14-2012, 07:15 PM   #205
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

I've never subscribed to the argument that a fighter is a "quitter" for pulling out, even though I've never done it.

If he's come, fought hard, taken a pounding, he has to worry about his career and about his health. Oscar pulled out of the Pacquiao fight later than I would have been okay with had I been training him.

The second it becomes crystal clear a fighter isn't in with a chance and is simply a punching bag, every punch they allow themselves to take afterwards is a punch too many.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2012, 07:26 PM   #206
young griffo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I've never subscribed to the argument that a fighter is a "quitter" for pulling out, even though I've never done it.

If he's come, fought hard, taken a pounding, he has to worry about his career and about his health. Oscar pulled out of the Pacquiao fight later than I would have been okay with had I been training him.

The second it becomes crystal clear a fighter isn't in with a chance and is simply a punching bag, every punch they allow themselves to take afterwards is a punch too many.
Corners need to take more responsiblity in these instances as well.

Fighters by nature are brave, determined and competitive beasts and often times they wont quit no matter what they take. That's when the chief second should be brave enough to make that call and spare his fighter further damage.

I often think of Riddick Bowe-Andrew Golota II and the absolute pasting Riddick took. His corner would have been justified in my opinion in getting him out of there as early as round 2 because Riddick simply couldn't defend himself from any punches. Sure he fought back because he's competitive and because he's brave and eventually he did get the "W" on his record but at what cost? His health and career was essentially ruined by what transpired that night and his corner was complicit in that as far as I'm concerned.

I doubt it would have happened with Eddie Futch in the corner.
young griffo is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2012, 09:10 PM   #207
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:

I agree theres no shame here..DLH quit cause he knew he was done, And he was takin a beating...thats why I said its sad.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:13 PM   #208
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by young griffo View Post

Fighters by nature are brave, determined and competitive beasts and often times they wont quit no matter what they take. That's when the chief second should be brave enough to make that call and spare his fighter further damage.

I often think of Riddick Bowe-Andrew Golota II and the absolute pasting Riddick took. His corner would have been justified in my opinion in getting him out of there as early as round 2 because Riddick simply couldn't defend himself from any punches. Sure he fought back because he's competitive and because he's brave and eventually he did get the "W" on his record but at what cost? His health and career was essentially ruined by what transpired that night and his corner was complicit in that as far as I'm concerned.

Just like Mancini Vs. Kim , I dont blame that on the ref , I blame his trainer for lettin his fighter gettin beat like that
Old 11-14-2012, 09:14 PM   #209
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by young griffo View Post

Eddie loved his fighters, and he wasn't operating under the laughable delusion most have that boxers are "gladiators". It's a damn sport, and a damn business.

Work hard, train hard, fight hard, but if you are getting hurt, something is going wrong.

I think this is something that is wrong with athletics today. We push kids way to hard. Have a little buddy who used to come to my gym, played QB for a local high school football team. Wanted to go to college, all that, coach rode his ass, he played his ass off, he blows his ACL! He gets surgery, gets back on the field in 4 months, he blows it again! Kid needs a cane!

It's just crazy. Oscar did it right. He didn't sustain any mean damage, he always worked hard and brought it (He even trained hard for Sturm, he just had no idea how to be bigget and fit at the same time, needed some help.)

He was a stud, he achieved a ton, he made a ton of money, and he can still speak and think. Rate anything on him you like, but what cannot be underrated is just how much Oscar De La Hoya won at BOXING.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2012, 09:17 PM   #210
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:

Quieting once in your whole career especially at the end of his career doesn't make him a quitter, It just means DLH must have had it in his mind he was about to get seriously hurt or worse, He did the right thing.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum