Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 11-09-2012, 07:16 PM   #31
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 248
Default Re: I like getting hit, and I'm going to spar for first time tomorrow. Need advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo View Post
well if you are an experienced boxer, then probably yes. I mean I am not claiming to be an experienced fighter. I only sparred my friend a few times, and I do a lot of bag and pad work with him too.
Based on the information you've provided, you probably want to take it slow and use these sparring sessions to hone your technique and develop your in-ring instincts(translation: how to initiate/anticipate/react). This is assuming , of course, that you've already been taught how to hold your guard/stance and deliver all punches correctly.
Son of Gaul is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #32
miniq
神風
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: I like getting hit, and I'm going to spar for first time tomorrow. Need advice?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Making your opponent miss and countering them is the greatest feeling you can expierance in boxing - I believe.

Especially when they are aggresive wasting their energy missing wild swings and you hurt them with a simple efficient punch.
miniq is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2012, 07:23 PM   #33
kmac
On permanent vacation
ESB Addict

vCash: 683

Quote:
Basically, I spar with my friend (who is an amateur boxer) and sometimes we go slow, other times we go quite hard. But in general, I actually don't mind being hit. Obviously, I don't stand there and let him hit me, but when I do get hit, I don't get scared about getting hit again.

Anyway, I am planning to spar at my local boxing gym tomorrow. I have just joined and I asked if I could spar because I know the basics since I've taught myself from videos and books. So the trainer is going to throw me in with another amateur, but this guy has only had 1 fight.

Do I fight him with a walk forward style, or should I box him? I just thought that because I don't mind getting hit, I can just try and walk him down, and make him tired then capitalize.

Thoughts?
get ready to be seriously tired. try to relax in there as much as possible. if you go in there tense and worried about getting hit, you'll be ready to stop about 30 seconds in. the trainer at your gym isn't going to have someone beat the shit out of you. you guys are amateurs trying to work on getting experience in the ring. good luck.
kmac is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2012, 07:36 PM   #34
DDDUUDDDEE
Undisputed Ambien (taker)
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

I'm sorry, but anyone who "likes getting hit" is a ****ing moron. Period.
DDDUUDDDEE is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2012, 07:44 PM   #35
ROACH
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Most likely, you're going to get the **** beat out of you, and then you'll never come back.

Don't try to convince us. Convince yourself.
ROACH is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2012, 08:25 PM   #36
pejevan
inmate No. 1363917
East Side Guru

vCash: 1343

One word - xylocaine.
pejevan is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2012, 10:28 PM   #37
JDK
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 675

You guys got trolled 3 pages worth.
And topped it off with a pejevan post.
Congrats
JDK is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2012, 11:32 PM   #38
r1p00pk
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 253

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK View Post
You guys got trolled 3 pages worth.
And topped it off with a pejevan post.
Congrats

guy should have put this in the amateur section instead of the gd from the start
r1p00pk is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2012, 01:34 AM   #39
tliang1000
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 115412

anyone who doesn't mind getting hit is a fool
tliang1000 is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2012, 01:50 AM   #40
freddieMaize
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1704

You are changing your gym is it? Or you are going to the hit the gym for the first time ever?

Dont try to prove anything on the first attempt itself.. You might end up getting proven, the other way around..
freddieMaize is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2012, 06:26 PM   #41
JamieC
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

ye first spar against someone thats already experienced enough to have had a bout, dont kid yourself, he could do you over quick time, no matter how many books youve read. it helps to watch a lot of boxing but as someone else already said, youll have tells you wont read feints, youll get hit as much as he wants to hit you. end of.
JamieC is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2012, 09:25 PM   #42
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Okay, well I've never sparred in a boxing capacity. I just assumed that when you spar in a boxing gym with rules, you try to do well against the other guy, including knocking him out.
No, no no no no no, kid.

Sparring is a constructive exercise, made for learning and growing.

You want to impress the coach, man? Pick something and WORK on it. Decide going in: Do you want to try out your jab and how to use it? How about moving your head to dodge punches? Maybe cut the ring and work the body?

Pick one or two of these things(I usually advise two, as it prevents you from becoming so one dimensional in your exercise that working on something becomes impossible), and drill them. Show the other fighter respect. Hit him only as hard as he's hitting you. DO NOT FOUL. And if you drop him(It should be a fluke, or just an exceptionally well thrown punch, which you likely aren't capable of yet), you help him up and you APOLOGIZE.

Sparring is an honorable, trusting exercise between two aspiring fighters. Treat it as such, and you'll make friends before anybody even knows your name.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2012, 11:07 PM   #43
Kolya
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaNasakki View Post
No, no no no no no, kid.

Sparring is a constructive exercise, made for learning and growing.

You want to impress the coach, man? Pick something and WORK on it. Decide going in: Do you want to try out your jab and how to use it? How about moving your head to dodge punches? Maybe cut the ring and work the body?

Pick one or two of these things(I usually advise two, as it prevents you from becoming so one dimensional in your exercise that working on something becomes impossible), and drill them. Show the other fighter respect. Hit him only as hard as he's hitting you. DO NOT FOUL. And if you drop him(It should be a fluke, or just an exceptionally well thrown punch, which you likely aren't capable of yet), you help him up and you APOLOGIZE.

Sparring is an honorable, trusting exercise between two aspiring fighters. Treat it as such, and you'll make friends before anybody even knows your name.

How you doing, big guy?
Kolya is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2012, 02:07 PM   #44
Joe.Boxer
Chinchecker
ESB Addict

vCash: 240

If the op is serious, he needs to see someone.
Joe.Boxer is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2012, 08:22 PM   #45
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Well he never came back, so I'm guessing he didn't like getting hit THAT much!
Speechless is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing