Old 11-14-2012, 09:41 AM   #16
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: Dick Tiger vs Bernard Hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Tywin View Post
This puzzles me because lesser fighters than Hopkins were able to control the pace and puzzle Tiger using movement.

Hopkins was a better boxer than most of the guys who actually outboxed Tiger. Hopkins was also a better light heavyweight than most if not all of the light heavyweights Tiger fought.

You act as if it was difficult to control the pace against Tiger. Gene proved that wrong. Fullmer couldnt box his way out of a paper bag but the instant he started moving backwards Tiger looked clueless. Tiger was great against guys who came at him. He would chop them up all night long. But when the opponent mixed movement into the equation he gave Tiger problems.

Id be rooting for Tiger but I dont see him winning.
Fullmer gave Webb hassle with the same strategy second time round. His awkwardness may well have been more stifling than it appears seeing him stagger around the ring attempting to outmanoeuvre his man.
Flea Man is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2012, 10:41 AM   #17
Lord Tywin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
I thought the Giadello series was closer than Tywin did though. Out of those that I've seen I saw Tiger winning two of 'em.

Which ones have you seen? Only the last two were filmed and Giardello clearly won the third (the first filmed).
Lord Tywin is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #18
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Okay I'm misremembering I was sure I had higlights of one and two full fights. Definitely gave Tiger one of 'em.

But it's true, he was a plodder. It would cost him here. I still say he was the 'greater' middle than B-Hop, though that's debatable depending on how much stock you put into Hopkins' defences.

EDIT: I'm probably mixing this up with Tigers series with Fullmer, which I have only highlights of one of the bouts (the 1st?)
Old 11-15-2012, 12:18 AM   #19
laxpdx
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Hopkins has his hands full here, as DT would make him work more than he's used to. I do agree that X might trouble him with his skills, but I think if Mr. Ihetu can top Giardello a time or two, he can outpoint Hopkins. That's my take.
laxpdx is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2012, 02:30 AM   #20
rusak
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxpdx View Post
Hopkins has his hands full here, as DT would make him work more than he's used to. I do agree that X might trouble him with his skills, but I think if Mr. Ihetu can top Giardello a time or two, he can outpoint Hopkins. That's my take.
Tiger is going to make Hopkins work more than Glen Johnson?
rusak is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2012, 02:40 AM   #21
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Tiger is certainly much better than Glencoffe.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:19 AM   #22
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1210

Skillwise Tiger is not much better than Glen Johnson.
Senya13 is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2012, 03:26 AM   #23
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Harder puncher and stronger though, arguably.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:32 AM   #24
rusak
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Harder puncher and stronger though, arguably.
Not buying what you're selling.
rusak is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2012, 03:33 AM   #25
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Awww, I'm devastated.

Anyway, Johnson got much better with experience. Hopkins beat up a green Johnson.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:40 AM   #26
Tin_Ribs
Me
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Some people tend to disagree with me, but I think that Hopkins had quite a bit in common with Griffith stylistically.

Not completely so for a couple of reasons, but I always thought they went about business in a similar way (and were both turgid as **** to watch as they got older).

And if we're talking a younger middleweight Griffith, I'm not really sure that Hopkins was that much more skilled or effective, if even at all. Maybe ever so slightly better at some things on the defensive/transitional side. But Griffith's opponents were generally a lot more skilled than Hopkins', so it can be hard to tell sometimes, and I'm uncertain that Hopkins would consistently present the same type of difficulties that Giardello and Archer did if he tried to do so. I don't feel as confident as others here do on this, it seems.

Hopkins wasn't quite as fleet footed as either imo and didn't quite have Archer's jab nor Giardello's style even if you wanted to say that the constructed layers of his defensive makeup were better as an overall package. He was often content to mix his movement and mid-range positioning with scrapping, spoiling and mauling up close, which is what Griffith did against Tiger. And I thought Tiger edged their fight tbh.

Hopkins was generally good at close range in this day and age of nonexistent inside tussling, but I can't quite shake the notion of him being something of a flat track bully who never responded well to people who had ring intelligence that challenged his own or the gumption to take him on at his own game up close, which was depressingly rare. So I'd be very interested to see what he made of Tiger at that range and how he might respond.

As Griffith did? Or go entirely defensive after much bitching and moaning to the ref? I'd bet on the latter, so it's just a question of whether he could keep himself half a peg in front over the 15.
Tin_Ribs is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum