Viloria on points 10 24.39%
Viloria on a stoppage 12 29.27%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-15-2012, 12:54 PM   #16
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330
Default Re: Hernan Marquez-Brian Viloria, who you got?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post

For Marquez, there's an excellent case to be made with the ruination of El Nica twice over combined with a slew of B+ conquests in the last couple of years (including avenging his sole loss outside the one to Donaire) - knocking everybody he's faced down multiple times or out. Then you add Viloria's name as a cherry on top?

For Viloria, look at his last three. Pingo, El Azteca, and Romero. Murderer's row FFS. He'll have damn near cleaned the joint out if he beats Marquez to feather his cap. Sure, he'll have only unified two belts - but he'll certainly be the undisputed #1. Igarashi and Mthalane can go **** themselves with their WBC and IBF hardware.
I agree with every word here pal. I know people like to make a big deal out of who the lineal champ is but when you consider the recent opposition of these two and the fact they're taking on each other whilst the lineal title was most recently completed between two journeymen there's no legit argument in ranking iga above these two.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2012, 12:55 PM   #17
Jack
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 15000

I think Marquez will win, though it's a hard fight to pick. I remember Viloria being a big prospect around 2005 but then it all went sour, before the unexpected with over Archie. Tough fight to pick but my doubts over Viloria, possibly unfairly, still remain, so I'm saying Marquez late stoppage.

Gonzalez will beat them both though, I think. Here's hoping his undercard fight leads to a bout with the winner.
Jack is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2012, 12:56 PM   #18
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 36829

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
I agree with every word here pal. I know people like to make a big deal out of who the lineal champ is but when you consider the recent opposition of these two and the fact they're taking on each other whilst the lineal title was most recently completed between two journeymen there's no legit argument in ranking iga above these two.
Igarashi needs to do a lot more than lift a belt off freaking Sonny Boy Jaro (who never really was a worthy champion, just caught Pong on the downslide) to be in the conversation with even the loser of Viloria vs. Marquez, let alone whichever one unifies.

As for Mthalane, since his own title reign began against Pingo three years ago he's piddled around with maybe the weakest set of barely acceptable contenders going. He was also damn lucky to escape intact against Nunez.
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2012, 01:01 PM   #19
EuroBot
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Viloria late TKO or UD.
EuroBot is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2012, 01:05 PM   #20
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
Igarashi needs to do a lot more than lift a belt off freaking Sonny Boy Jaro (who never really was a worthy champion, just caught Pong on the downslide) to be in the conversation with even the loser of Viloria vs. Marquez, let alone whichever one unifies.

As for Mthalane, since his own title reign began against Pingo three years ago he's piddled around with maybe the weakest set of barely acceptable contenders going. He was also damn lucky to escape intact against Nunez.
Totally agree. Jaro was a poor champ who never deserved his shot. The same will be said for iga in my opinion. I'm sure some will spout out about lineage but the reality is we have the two best fighters in a great fight and I'm glad it's getting the publicity it deserves.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2012, 01:55 PM   #21
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Yeah, Viloria's knocking on the p4p door if he wins this one.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #22
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
If he destroys him as he did Segura he'd surely be a p4p top ten lock.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #23
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 36829

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
If he destroys him as he did Segura he'd surely be a p4p top ten lock.

An incredible streak of four, if he pulls it off.
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2012, 02:19 PM   #24
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

Quote:
He's kind of been knocking. I'd have him in sooner than Dawson at the time of the Ward lead-up. I didn't rate that version of BHOP he got back in with (Ring and for many) very highly at all. I think if he wins, he should be in.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2012, 02:22 PM   #25
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Those things tend to iron themselves out though, by which I mean the Dawson problem has been taken care of. Froch, Cotto, Wlad and Bradley make his corridor crowded though. This one puts him over the top.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2012, 02:30 PM   #26
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

You got me thinking about this now.

If we say Floyd, Many, Ward, Martinez, Donaire and Marquez are all clearly above him...

Then we've got Mares, Froch, Wlad, Bradley, Cotto, and Viloria to pick the other four from. Yeah, I think you could unquestionably pick Viloria as one of the other four to fill out these rankings. Mares, man of the moment should probably be in there, Wlad, extremely dominant should probably be in there, Bradley beat Pac (or whatever) so you have to have him in there. So Froch V Cotto V Viloria for the last spot. Cotto, just lost and is past-prime...easy to leave out. So it's the agony of Froch or Viloria. Froch has been matched even harder but he's lost. But it seems mad harsh leaving Froch out.

Come Sunday morning though the problem could be over.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2012, 02:38 PM   #27
chimba
Off the Somali Coast
East Side VIP

vCash: 800

Great fight 50/50. I am actually hoping for a Marquez win so that Saludar can step up and reign in this division.
chimba is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2012, 02:42 PM   #28
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:

If we say Floyd, Many, Ward, Martinez, Donaire and Marquez are all clearly above him...

Then we've got Mares, Froch, Wlad, Bradley, Cotto, and Viloria to pick the other four from. Yeah, I think you could unquestionably pick Viloria as one of the other four to fill out these rankings. Mares, man of the moment should probably be in there, Wlad, extremely dominant should probably be in there, Bradley beat Pac (or whatever) so you have to have him in there. So Froch V Cotto V Viloria for the last spot. Cotto, just lost and is past-prime...easy to leave out. So it's the agony of Froch or Viloria. Froch has been matched even harder but he's lost. But it seems mad harsh leaving Froch out.

It's tough because cotto and froch lost to guys rated above them p4p so in essence guys they should lose to.

I agree with your locks and I'd have wlad next. Mares, cotto and viloria fight for spots 9 & 10 imo.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #29
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

Quote:
Those things tend to iron themselves out though, by which I mean the Dawson problem has been taken care of. Froch, Cotto, Wlad and Bradley make his corridor crowded though. This one puts him over the top.
Quote:

Yeah, we're on the same page with all of this. It's all gone through my mind thinking about the fairest ranking too.

Quote:
or whatever
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #30
bazza12
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

Quote:

I like Mares but he's had to eke things out in a lot of his fights. Moreno is his signature win up to now. Outside of that I don't think he's done enough, the only other really class win I'd say he's had is Agbeko.
bazza12 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum