Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
ai786
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 673
vCash: 236
Default Does Broner have a tougher climb ahead in opposition than Mayweather

Throughout Mayweather's career he has been an overwhelming favourite heading into the fights, maybe with the exception of the Corrales fight.

While the road looks tougher for Broner there are alot of fights ahead of him that will be seen as 50-50, possibly against Gamboa, Marquez, Rios, Garcia

My point is, it will be difficult for Broner to become a PPV megastar with a padded record he will really need to prove himself in challenging situations.

I'm a fan of Mayweather but his opposition picking has always been smart in the sense he and the public always knew/felt he would win. With Broner it won't be as easy to get away with fighting guys that are tailor made for him especially if he want's to become the next big thing in boxing.
ai786 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
kwilson71
#MAYDAY
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Houston,TX
Posts: 1,932
vCash: 75
Default Re: Does Broner have a tougher climb ahead in opposition than Mayweather

Broner 1st fight at 135 is Demarco

Floyds 1st fight at 135 was Castillo

doesn't seem tougher so far, but always a possibility
kwilson71 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:25 PM   #3
illwill007
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,426
vCash: 75
Default Re: Does Broner have a tougher climb ahead in opposition than Mayweather

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilson71 View Post
Broner 1st fight at 135 is Demarco

Floyds 1st fight at 135 was Castillo

doesn't seem tougher so far, but always a possibility
Technically not his first fight above 130.
illwill007 is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:32 PM   #4
SouthpawJab
On his way up!! 4-0!!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Memphis
Posts: 4,389
vCash: 462
Default Re: Does Broner have a tougher climb ahead in opposition than Mayweather

Not at 135, but at 140, GBP has some very nice talent to match him with. Floyd's 140 lb resume is piss poor...but his comp at 130-135 was excellent. While Broner's comp at 130 and 135 are piss poor.(He gets much props for stepping up against DeMarco) His potential 140lb resume is world's better. Quite interesting actually.
SouthpawJab is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #5
illwill007
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,426
vCash: 75
Default Re: Does Broner have a tougher climb ahead in opposition than Mayweather

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawJab View Post
Not at 135, but at 140, GBP has some very nice talent to match him with. Floyd's 140 lb resume is piss poor...but his comp at 130-135 was excellent. While Broner's comp at 130 and 135 are piss poor.(He gets much props for stepping up against DeMarco) His potential 140lb resume is world's better. Quite interesting actually.

Yeah! As stacked as 140 is, I think we will get to see if Broner is the real deal, or if he is being "well managed", sooner rather than later.
illwill007 is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:22 PM   #6
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pazinfowit, USA
Posts: 24,810
vCash: 26665
Default Re: Does Broner have a tougher climb ahead in opposition than Mayweather

Were he to actually be fighting everyone at these weights, perhaps you could have a case but he didn't and hasn't and may not. Mayweather's resume at 130 makes a mockery out of Broner's. Broner's first fight scheduled at 135 won't be but a very, very poor comparison to May's first there. He doesn't really have to take anyone better than May took or as good as. We'll see what he actually gets. He may never have a Gamboa or a Marquez. An old Marquez it would be, also. Just think, Broner grabbed a title and coasted through 130 by comparison, and had weight problems there. Mayweather reigned supreme for several defences and had to dethrone the actual champion there, in addition to Corrales, Chavez, etc. Broner...eh.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:35 PM   #7
MichiganWarrior
Still Slick! Still Black!
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: G Rap
Posts: 13,408
vCash: 571
Default Re: Does Broner have a tougher climb ahead in opposition than Mayweather

Shit post from a retarded alt.
MichiganWarrior is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:47 PM   #8
tliang1000
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,962
vCash: 103865
Default Re: Does Broner have a tougher climb ahead in opposition than Mayweather

Quote:
Originally Posted by ai786 View Post
Throughout Mayweather's career he has been an overwhelming favourite heading into the fights, maybe with the exception of the Corrales fight.

While the road looks tougher for Broner there are alot of fights ahead of him that will be seen as 50-50, possibly against Gamboa, Marquez, Rios, Garcia

My point is, it will be difficult for Broner to become a PPV megastar with a padded record he will really need to prove himself in challenging situations.

I'm a fan of Mayweather but his opposition picking has always been smart in the sense he and the public always knew/felt he would win. With Broner it won't be as easy to get away with fighting guys that are tailor made for him especially if he want's to become the next big thing in boxing.
Gamboa is still at 126. Do not see that happening, although that right there may very well be the scalp he could get in terms of the most skilled opponent. Marquez will be pushing 40 so wouldn't be a good win but nice name on resume. Garcia and rios are prolly going to be Broner's corrales and castillo.
tliang1000 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:50 PM   #9
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Dallas,Texas.
Posts: 17,399
vCash: 1010
Default Re: Does Broner have a tougher climb ahead in opposition than Mayweather

Broner is not near the caliber of Mayweather. He is good and should beat Demarco, but he is not a Floyd Mayweather caliber fighter.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:52 PM   #10
Boxing Fanatic
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dominican Republic
Posts: 24,111
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Does Broner have a tougher climb ahead in opposition than Mayweather

if he is smart, he would do the same thing floyd did and avoid risky fights
Boxing Fanatic is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:53 PM   #11
tliang1000
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,962
vCash: 103865
Default Re: Does Broner have a tougher climb ahead in opposition than Mayweather

Garcia and Rios are very good scalps. Garcia is comparable to Corrales but Rios still needs more big wins to be consider as high as Castillo though.
tliang1000 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:53 PM   #12
elchivito
master betty
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: section 8
Posts: 11,359
vCash: 107
Default Re: Does Broner have a tougher climb ahead in opposition than Mayweather

Tougher for Broner perhaps, but Chico and Castillo are better than Gamboa, Rios, and Garcia. No comparison.
elchivito is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013