Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-15-2012, 07:00 PM   #1
Flo_Raiden
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Ivan Robinson

What can you guys tell me about "Mighty"? He's mostly known for his fights with Arturo Gatti but from what I've seen he mostly reminds me of Meldrick Taylor. How good of a fighter was he and could he have been greater given his talents?
Flo_Raiden is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2012, 07:49 PM   #2
Xplosive
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ivan Robinson

He was a HOMELESS man's Taylor. Similar style to Meldrick you are correct, but w/o a fraction of Mel's talent.

He was a pretty good fighter and I think he got the most out of what he had. He had above average skills, good handspeed, high workrate, but not much pop and not the best defense. And his chin wasn't exactly great either.

His first fight with Gatti was a classic though. And he schooled Gatti in the rematch.

His fight with Philip Holiday was also a very good fight, and although Ivan was competitive in that fight, Holiday in the end just out worked and out fought him. Still, it was a very good fight.

Then he was favored to beat Manfredy, but surprisingly Angel beat the crap outta him and won every round.

All and all Ivan was good enough to be a fringe contender in most lightweight era's, but he wasn't good enough to beat any quality fighters. That's the difference between he and Taylor. Before Chavez shortened his prime, Taylor was a special fighter.
Xplosive is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2012, 11:35 PM   #3
The Funny Man 7
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1326

I do see the stylistic similarities with Mel Taylor but obviously he lacked Taylor unbelieveable talent.
The Funny Man 7 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2012, 12:01 AM   #4
blagovech
esbs #1 pedo
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplosive View Post
He was a HOMELESS man's Taylor. Similar style to Meldrick you are correct, but w/o a fraction of Mel's talent.

He was a pretty good fighter and I think he got the most out of what he had. He had above average skills, good handspeed, high workrate, but not much pop and not the best defense. And his chin wasn't exactly great either.

His first fight with Gatti was a classic though. And he schooled Gatti in the rematch.

His fight with Philip Holiday was also a very good fight, and although Ivan was competitive in that fight, Holiday in the end just out worked and out fought him. Still, it was a very good fight.

Then he was favored to beat Manfredy, but surprisingly Angel beat the crap outta him and won every round.

All and all Ivan was good enough to be a fringe contender in most lightweight era's, but he wasn't good enough to beat any quality fighters. That's the difference between he and Taylor. Before Chavez shortened his prime, Taylor was a special fighter.
pretty much just summed it up i still think gatti won the 1st fight tho
blagovech is offline  Top
Old 11-16-2012, 08:16 AM   #5
salty trunks
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blagovech View Post
pretty much just summed it up i still think gatti won the 1st fight tho
Agree he pretty much summed it up. I enjoyed watching him fight in the Blue Horizon. Legendary venue. He put combinations together which always made for exciting fights, but he couldnt crack an egg, and he didnt always come in to his fight in the best condition.
salty trunks is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum