tezel8764 is offline  Top
Old 11-16-2012, 03:19 PM   #4
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: How Good Was Jeff Fenech?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Great head to head fighter. If he'd got the nod he deserved first time round against Nelson I think people would be more willing to accept him as an 'all time great'.
Flea Man is online now  Top
Old 11-16-2012, 03:20 PM   #5
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan69 View Post
He was OK
Better than Chandler that's for sure.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:36 PM   #6
Aaron Contreras
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Last edited by Aaron Contreras; 12-11-2012 at 11:12 PM.
Aaron Contreras is offline  Top
Old 11-16-2012, 04:56 PM   #7
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Better than Chandler that's for sure.
I love both guys, but disagree both overall and H2H....I would consider Fenech an ATG (MY OK was sarcasam at the minute not sure why?), and he certainly deserved the win in Nelson I.
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2012, 05:56 AM   #8
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Still, I think Fenech is Chandler's superior on both accounts. No beef though
Old 11-17-2012, 06:26 AM   #9
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

vCash: 26664

You'd never know it but Fenech has a large collection of those My Little Pony dolls and keeps them all on a large, pink couch in his living room. He won't let anyone touch them either. He gets right cross with anyone who tries. Legend has it he sits on them in the wee hours of the night, due to an unusual visit to the emergency room, once. So I've been told. Allegedly.

Edit:

Sorry, I was thinking about Freddie Starr. Never mind.

Last edited by Boxed Ears; 11-17-2012 at 08:52 AM.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2012, 06:30 AM   #10
zadfrak
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

He was great to watch when he was on his early run. The problem with that style is when they do finally suffer a defeat, it's usually a brutal one. Very tough to come back from that initial defeat and their toughness keeps them in there to take a sustained beating.
zadfrak is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2012, 08:04 AM   #11
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Great head to head fighter. If he'd got the nod he deserved first time round against Nelson I think people would be more willing to accept him as an 'all time great'.
Spot on.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:17 AM   #12
bowerboy
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1428

I have a nice story about Jeff Fenech. I live in Bangkok and about a year ago I was taking a little known short cut (by foot) between two busy roads. The shortcut is over a kind of abandoned parking lot and there was absolutely no one else around. The short cut I guess is about 100 metres and as I am walking across I see another guy (alone) walking from the other direction..as I get closer I recognize the guy and it is none other than Jeff Fenech!!! (Bizarre!). So anyway I approached him and asked if I could shake his hand and we stopped and chatted for about 5 minutes!! What a great guy to stop and chat with a complete stranger....he was really nice and I came away absolutely chuffed.

One thing I remember though was shaking his hand..seriously it was like his hands were made of stone..they were absolutely rock solid and unlike anything I have ever felt when shaking someones hand...if I am not mistaken he had hand problems through out his career.
bowerboy is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2012, 08:29 AM   #13
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowerboy View Post
I have a nice story about Jeff Fenech. I live in Bangkok and about a year ago I was taking a little known short cut (by foot) between two busy roads. The shortcut is over a kind of abandoned parking lot and there was absolutely no one else around. The short cut I guess is about 100 metres and as I am walking across I see another guy (alone) walking from the other direction..as I get closer I recognize the guy and it is none other than Jeff Fenech!!! (Bizarre!). So anyway I approached him and asked if I could shake his hand and we stopped and chatted for about 5 minutes!! What a great guy to stop and chat with a complete stranger....he was really nice and I came away absolutely chuffed.

One thing I remember though was shaking his hand..seriously it was like his hands were made of stone..they were absolutely rock solid and unlike anything I have ever felt when shaking someones hand...if I am not mistaken he had hand problems through out his career.
He had huge hand problems during his career. At times he was in tears because they hurt so much. They are probably a mess of calcified bone these days. Which might explain how they felt to you.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:05 AM   #14
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowerboy View Post

Khob khun krup quality anecdote

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spider View Post
He had huge hand problems during his career. At times he was in tears because they hurt so much. They are probably a mess of calcified bone these days. Which might explain how they felt to you.
This! After Villasana he was in such pain, as he'd barely blinked in an insane 12 round war! Taking his gloves off hurt him more than any punch could.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:12 AM   #15
bowerboy
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1428

Yeah I guess his hands were completely calcified...they must still give him trouble now....
bowerboy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum