Old 11-16-2012, 08:09 PM   #16
ImElvis666
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 227381
Default Re: Bob Arum: Legalize Marijuana in Boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by maradona View Post
Honestly the whole point of sport is that it is pure and boxers are rolemodels like it or not! Weed is a drug end of and has no place in boxing!
Should they be banned for testing positive for nicotine or alcohol?
ImElvis666 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2012, 08:18 PM   #17
HeavyT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
It shouldn't ever be legal in boxing for obvious reasons.
what reasons? alcohol should also be banned, but its not (or isnt in your system long enough to be caught)
HeavyT is offline  Top
Old 11-16-2012, 08:20 PM   #18
Manning
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1449

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImElvis666 View Post
Should they be banned for testing positive for nicotine or alcohol?
They don't enhance your performance.
Manning is offline  Top
Old 11-16-2012, 08:24 PM   #19
ImElvis666
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 227381

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning View Post
They don't enhance your performance.
Welcome to my ignore list.
ImElvis666 is offline  Top
Old 11-16-2012, 08:46 PM   #20
Jack
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 15000

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyT View Post
what reasons? alcohol should also be banned, but its not (or isnt in your system long enough to be caught)
The drug has two effects and although they are opposites, they are both why the drug should continue to be banned. Firstly, it makes people more relaxed which is an advantage in boxing. Secondly, and more seriously, it reduces a boxers capacity to defend themselves properly by making them lethargic. It would be dangerous to the fighter taking the drug to be allowed to fight whilst high. They wouldn't be able to defend themselves properly and that makes them more vulnerable to brain damage.

Drugs are a problem in boxing when they assist a fighter or their opponent. They make the sport even more dangerous than it is and that's why they should be banned. You may say that's it's up to the fighter whether they want to use marijuana or not, but the fact is that if there was a brain injury and the fighter was found to be high and therefore unable to defend himself properly, it would be a massive **** up.
Jack is offline  Top
Old 11-16-2012, 09:01 PM   #21
Abertawe
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1264

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning View Post
When he had cravings as all men do to go out on the lash and unwind he instead just got wasted on gear in his house. No calories init.

Have you ever smoked?

After a few spliffs you'll be picking up the phone to have a take-away delivered.
Abertawe is offline  Top
Old 11-16-2012, 09:22 PM   #22
Scotty321
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Yeah I'm sure Bob would be saying this if it was a Golden Boy fighter that was caught using it...
Scotty321 is offline  Top
Old 11-16-2012, 10:44 PM   #23
Clarky Cat
Stalwart
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty321 View Post
Yeah I'm sure Bob would be saying this if it was a Golden Boy fighter that was caught using it...
Exactly. Bob Arum in 'being a cunt' shocker.
Clarky Cat is offline  Top
Old 11-16-2012, 10:45 PM   #24
mbrockett
ESB voyeur
ESB Full Member

Should never be legalized for the following reasons:-
1) It triggers mental health issues.
2) It robs people of their ambition.
3) It robs people of their perspective.
4) Stoners can get away with smoking it every day as the negative effects are more subtle than other drugs.
5) It's a gateway drug.
6) The strains people smoke these days are anything but natural.
mbrockett is offline  Top
Old 11-16-2012, 10:45 PM   #25
mbrockett
ESB voyeur
ESB Full Member

Old 11-16-2012, 11:20 PM   #26
HeavyT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Haha, okay mate, I'm pretty sure none of these guys have a huge blunt before they gop out to fight, it would be ****ing retarded. Guys might go on thepiss during camp, but I bet they dont have a few before they ****ing fight. Get some perspective... if you fail a test it could mean it was 2 months since you last smoked, depending on all the variables.

If you want cannabis to remain a banned substance, at the very least you should say the same for alcohol.

It is a gateway drug, much like alcohol.... i bet if no one tocuhed the drink they'd never touch the coke or the speed either.
HeavyT is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2012, 01:34 AM   #27
richard mossley
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1022

Boxers should be forced by law to eat only lettuce and drink just water, that's it. Now we are a complete level playing field.
richard mossley is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2012, 02:59 AM   #28
lost
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 300
Exclamation Re: Bob Arum: Legalize Marijuana in Boxing

Quote:
Haha, okay mate, I'm pretty sure none of these guys have a huge blunt before they gop out to fight, it would be ****ing retarded. Guys might go on thepiss during camp, but I bet they dont have a few before they ****ing fight. Get some perspective... if you fail a test it could mean it was 2 months since you last smoked, depending on all the variables.

If you want cannabis to remain a banned substance, at the very least you should say the same for alcohol.

It is a gateway drug, much like alcohol.... i bet if no one tocuhed the drink they'd never touch the coke or the speed either.

Finally, a bit of sense.
lost is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2012, 03:31 AM   #29
mbrockett
ESB voyeur
ESB Full Member

Quote:

i agree that alcohol probably should be illegal - society could only benefit from that. but let's face it, it's never going to happen! weed is illegal already tho and so it should remain.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:17 AM   #30
LovePisBack
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
The drug has two effects and although they are opposites, they are both why the drug should continue to be banned. Firstly, it makes people more relaxed which is an advantage in boxing. Secondly, and more seriously, it reduces a boxers capacity to defend themselves properly by making them lethargic. It would be dangerous to the fighter taking the drug to be allowed to fight whilst high. They wouldn't be able to defend themselves properly and that makes them more vulnerable to brain damage.

Drugs are a problem in boxing when they assist a fighter or their opponent. They make the sport even more dangerous than it is and that's why they should be banned. You may say that's it's up to the fighter whether they want to use marijuana or not, but the fact is that if there was a brain injury and the fighter was found to be high and therefore unable to defend himself properly, it would be a massive **** up.
Mate smoking a jointing immediately prior to a fight would not be an advantage! I can't imagine anyone would be stupid enough to do it, it's equivalent to getting in the ring drunk so you don't feel the opponents punches - a tiny about of benefit for a huge amount of cost.
LovePisBack is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum