boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 11-17-2012, 02:53 AM   #46
booradley
Mean People Kick Ass!
East Side VIP

vCash: 622
Default Re: A question to the American fight fans on here.

Find me two heavyweights in the current crop who can replicate Frazier/Quarry 1, Ali/Frazier 1 or 2, Walcott/Marciano 1, Quarry/Chuvalo, Holmes/Berbick, et, et, and I'll get behind them no matter where they're from.
booradley is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2012, 02:53 AM   #47
moparfan
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Its not so much that American fight fans don't get behind the Heavyweights (or other fighters). Its got alot to do with the media outlets, TV in general. FOX, CBS, SPIKETV, ETC. showcase MMA, Strikeforce, EliteXC, UFC types of fights and put boxing on the back-burner. The only time you will see boxing on non-premium channels or PPV is when NBCSports or ESPN Friday Night Fights has it scheduled and most of the time NASCAR or TENNIS runs late, and American boxing fans get stuck missing an exciting undercard fight.
The last boxing card I can recall on NBC (not NBCSports) was Calvin Brock vs Terry Smith back in 2004.

America is being saturated with gimmick MMA style fights. Fans are being sold on cheap knockouts (tapouts). Its pathetic that most Americans can't name the Heavyweight Champions of the World, let alone name an astronaut, but they can name the no-name palooka that fought on UFC...only because its re-broadcast numerous times on basic American television.
Go to any American city and you will see numerous MMA clubs/gyms but you will hardly find a boxing gym.
moparfan is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2012, 02:54 AM   #48
vnyc
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidDynamite View Post
took Wlad 50 fights to reach his "chin prime" and he was nearly knocked out of it against Wach a week agoc
vnyc is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2012, 02:55 AM   #49
Earl-hickey
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 765

I see this thread has become an american circle jerk/ brit bash session, and oh look, Jeanpaulvalleys alt, cableaddict has joined the party, how convenient.

Anyone would think you guys have got some psycological issues
Earl-hickey is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2012, 02:57 AM   #50
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl-hickey View Post
I see this thread has become an american circle jerk/ brit bash session, and oh look, Jeanpaulvalleys alt, cableaddict has joined the party, how convenient.

Cabbleaddict? I thought he was KOT1R.

The "Tyson was a five round KO artist" was a slip.
Hands of Iron is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2012, 03:00 AM   #51
Earl-hickey
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Iron View Post
Cabbleaddict? I thought he was KOT1R.

The "Tyson was a five round KO artist" was a slip.
it's probably all the same person. All i know is wherever Valley goes, Cableaddict is never far behind, and 9 times out of 10 the thread takes a turn down Brit Bash avenue
Old 11-17-2012, 03:04 AM   #52
booradley
Mean People Kick Ass!
East Side VIP

vCash: 622

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparfan View Post
Its not so much that American fight fans don't get behind the Heavyweights (or other fighters). Its got alot to do with the media outlets, TV in general. FOX, CBS, SPIKETV, ETC. showcase MMA, Strikeforce, EliteXC, UFC types of fights and put boxing on the back-burner. The only time you will see boxing on non-premium channels or PPV is when NBCSports or ESPN Friday Night Fights has it scheduled and most of the time NASCAR or TENNIS runs late, and American boxing fans get stuck missing an exciting undercard fight.
The last boxing card I can recall on NBC (not NBCSports) was Calvin Brock vs Terry Smith back in 2004.

America is being saturated with gimmick MMA style fights. Fans are being sold on cheap knockouts (tapouts). Its pathetic that most Americans can't name the Heavyweight Champions of the World, let alone name an astronaut, but they can name the no-name palooka that fought on UFC...only because its re-broadcast numerous times on basic American television.
Go to any American city and you will see numerous MMA clubs/gyms but you will hardly find a boxing gym.
You really have to ask why the networks prefer MMA over boxing. 1) MMA fighers work for peanuts compared to boxers. 2) There isn't a single HW on the scene today who can generate the kind of excitement that Ali, Foreman, Frazier, Quarry, Bonavena, et al generated. They do not have the skills or the charisma. HW boxing is no longer financially viable for the networks.

I guarantee you that if you could resurrect a prime Jerry Quarry, and a prime Ringo, and stage the fight that didn't happen 40 years ago, the networks would run right over HBO and Showtime to secure the broadcast rights, and they would show that **** prime time!
booradley is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2012, 03:09 AM   #53
Earl-hickey
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by booradley View Post
You really have to ask why the networks prefer MMA over boxing. 1) MMA fighers work for peanuts compared to boxers. 2) There isn't a single HW on the scene today who can generate the kind of excitement that Ali, Foreman, Frazier, Quarry, Bonavena, et al generated. They do not have the skills or the charisma. HW boxing is no longer financially viable for the networks.

I guarantee you that if you could resurrect a prime Jerry Quarry, and a prime Ringo, and stage the fight that didn't happen 40 years ago, the networks would run right over HBO and Showtime to secure the broadcast rights, and they would show that **** prime time!
The networks prefer MMA for the same reasons a film like "transformers" has more people going to see it than No Country For Old Men, the same reasons American Idol is more popular than Breaking Bad, the same reasons why Call Of Duty is the highest selling game franchise.

People don't like using their brains anymore. You need to use your brain to appreciate skilled boxers.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:21 AM   #54
JeanPaulValley
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 438

Quote:
The networks prefer MMA for the same reasons a film like "transformers" has more people going to see it than No Country For Old Men, the same reasons American Idol is more popular than Breaking Bad, the same reasons why Call Of Duty is the highest selling game franchise.

People don't like using their brains anymore. You need to use your brain to appreciate skilled boxers.
Great Point.
JeanPaulValley is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2012, 03:23 AM   #55
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

Quote:

Great ****in' post.
Hands of Iron is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2012, 03:37 AM   #56
JeanPaulValley
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

We dont hate UK,we love you guys but in our own special way.
And you're the 15th person to say I am another member and that name "cabble addict" is the 15th alternate account I have heard that is mine.
I promise you I have one and only one account but just sayin...dont matter to me.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:44 AM   #57
JeanPaulValley
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Let me satisfy this sicko Earl-Hickey
yep ya got me I am all of these accounts detective. Get on with your life and talk boxing.
How many minutes do you waste wondering who is someone else?
I have 150 accounts yes it's true. This ****in' guy.
You can't be logged on ESB with 2 accounts at once anyway ya dumb **** so how am I under 2 accounts?
Old 11-17-2012, 03:45 AM   #58
Cableaddict
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMagic View Post
If Ali had fought Cooper in this day and age, people would be sporting this as their avatar:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
And trolling Ali for his "glass jaw".
LOL !

- but only Zakman.
Cableaddict is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2012, 03:47 AM   #59
JeanPaulValley
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cableaddict View Post
LOL !

- but only Zakman.
this guy Earl Hickey is saying you and I are the same guy under alt accounts.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:51 AM   #60
Earl-hickey
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanPaulValley View Post
this guy Earl Hickey is saying you and I are the same guy under alt accounts.
Stop talking to yourself

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum