Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 11-16-2012, 09:26 PM   #16
OMGWTF
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 535
Default Re: Ive been told most pro boxers dont snap there punches, WHY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cableaddict View Post
"Ive been told most pro boxers dont snap there punches, WHY?"

Because most pro boxers aren't very good, and will end their careers as mere stepping stones for the boxers that DO snap their punches.

Some other relevant points:

1: A few rare HW's got away with slower puches because they had so much muscle & weight behind them. A prime example is George Foreman.

2: Some great boxers throw SOME thudders to the head, but this is to confuse the opponent. If evey shot you throw is the same speed, no matter how fast, a great opponent can start to time & avoid them. By mixing them up, you catch him off-guard with the really fast ones. Prime example: WLad's left hand.

3: Some great boxers do throw more thudders than other boxers, simply because they go to the body more. Great body punches thud, because the body cannot bounce back like the head can. A body punch needs power and leverage to be effective, whereas a haed shot (against a slick opponent) needs speed / acclleration.

4: Thudding punches really DO use up more energy than fast snappers. This has been proven many times in scientific tests. It's not a theory.

5: Very rarely, I actually know what I'm talking about. This is one of those times.

Very Cool Cable addict! Very cool!

I really like this answer!!!
OMGWTF is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2012, 10:48 PM   #17
Cableaddict
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

It was a good question.
Cableaddict is offline  Top
Old 11-16-2012, 10:52 PM   #18
Imperial1
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

That's because boxing has declined !
Imperial1 is online now  Top
Old 11-17-2012, 12:42 AM   #19
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGWTF View Post
WRONG!

Not only do snapping punches have more power and speed they require less energy as well!
They're also more inaccurate, you use more of a push like (or thudding) type motion when you're going for accuracy. That's why a child or a girl when they try to throw pushes their arm into the throw, if they threw it properly using the kinetic chain it would go all over the place at their stage of development.
You need to be very skilled to throw snappy punches with accuracy, you'll notice against Bradley that Pac threw a lot of pushing punches because he couldn't hit him. He was trying to increase his accuracy by pushing his punches.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2012, 01:59 AM   #20
ripcity
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
vCash: 1040

1. Conserve engery. It's hard to do any thing at full force for 3:00. Try doing that X12 or even X4. Heck it's hard to keep full speed for 1:00.
2. It jars your joints.
3. By changing speed of your punches it makes it harder to be timed.
ripcity is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2012, 02:06 AM   #21
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcity View Post
1. Conserve engery. It's hard to do any thing at full force for 3:00. Try doing that X12 or even X4. Heck it's hard to keep full speed for 1:00.
2. It jars your joints.
3. By changing speed of your punches it makes it harder to be timed.
You conserve energy by throwing snappy punches, when you snap punches you rely on the recoil of the tendon to do the work for you so there is less of a metabolic cost. When you throw a snappy punch your tendons recoil and your distal muscles contract isometrically so you don't use much energy. When you're pushing your punch you're using your muscles to produce more force but you're also using less power because your power amplifiers (tendons) aren't being used as much. Your muscle shortening and lengthening has a high metabolic cost.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:08 AM   #22
tliang1000
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 92328

You snap your punches for defense purposes. It is use for more of a bluff/shock value. Almost like a hard slap. When you want to knock someone out, you follow through your shots and step into ur target.
tliang1000 is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2012, 02:09 AM   #23
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tliang1000 View Post
You snap your punches for defense purposes. It is use for more of a bluff/shock value. Almost like a hard slap. When you want to knock someone out, you follow through your shots and step into ur target.
You're best off talking about something that you actually know the first thing about.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:12 AM   #24
tliang1000
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
You're best off talking about something that you actually know the first thing about.
care to try me?
Old 11-17-2012, 02:20 AM   #25
tliang1000
Champion
East Side Guru

@ dealt with.

First of all, boxers snaps their punches have NOTHING to do with conservating energy.
Punches with a snap are much much weaker shots then punches that follows through. A snap motion jerks the hand back and does not direct weight into ur opponent is not going to cause your opponent's head to explode. Like snapping a towel thats stings on contact. It is not intent to hurt but to distract. Hence the answer of the TS's question.

You obviously never box before.

Last edited by tliang1000; 11-17-2012 at 02:34 AM.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:34 AM   #26
Cableaddict
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by tliang1000 View Post
I don't think you are correctly interpreting the OP's meaning of "snap." He means fast & sharp, as opposed to slower and heavy. (Well, I think so.)

You can "follow through" and still snap the arm.

I think you are referring to "pulling" a punch, which is completely different.

- And FWIW, Following through too far wastes energy, (see dealt_with's explaination) and puts you in a bad position defensively. It's almost a matter of semantics, though.

My old coach always told us to snap" and "flick" our punches. (his two favorite words.)
You don't need to load-up to have power, with a head shot. Power comes mainly from speed. - Plus a fast punch, thrown without loading up, is very hard to see coming.
Watch prime Roy Jones some time.
Cableaddict is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2012, 02:46 AM   #27
tliang1000
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
I don't think you are correctly interpreting the OP's meaning of "snap." He means, I think, fast & sharp, as opposed to slower and heavy.

You can "follow through" and still snap the arm.
- And FWIW, Following through too far wastes energy, and puts you in a bad position defensively. It's almost a matter of semantics, though.
You can follow through but is extremely difficult. To snap a punch you have to anchor ur footing. Is hard to generate that snap while stepping into your opponent. Most boxers uses it on the defense as their opponents walk into to them.

Also for example and anyone can test this.

If you have a heavybag at home. You can snap a punch and the bag will barely move. Why? should be obvious.

Now put your weight into your punch and drive it through will send the heavy bag much further for obvious reasons.

Whenever i spar/box someone i like to snap my punches at them to make my opponents weary. They see the speed and is eye catching but when they get hit, it stings them and cause them to hesitate but in reality i've caused little damage.

Snapping shots are also harder to counter. Depending on what type of style you want to be will greatly impact how often you throw them.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:53 AM   #28
JeanPaulValley
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 438

vitali dont snap 'em, hence 10 rounds for Adamek.
JeanPaulValley is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2012, 03:08 AM   #29
SuperHut
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 450

I generally throw a majority of thudding punches to wear a guy down. But when I'm getting my ass kicked to badly, I like to throw a sweet snappy combination to the nutsack
SuperHut is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2012, 03:46 AM   #30
dangerousity
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 933

Quote:
"Ive been told most pro boxers dont snap there punches, WHY?"

Because most pro boxers aren't very good, and will end their careers as mere stepping stones for the boxers that DO snap their punches.

Some other relevant points:

1: A few rare HW's got away with slower puches because they had so much muscle & weight behind them. A prime example is George Foreman.

2: Some great boxers throw SOME thudders to the head, but this is to confuse the opponent. If evey shot you throw is the same speed, no matter how fast, a great opponent can start to time & avoid them. By mixing them up, you catch him off-guard with the really fast ones. Prime example: WLad's left hand.

3: Some great boxers do throw more thudders than other boxers, simply because they go to the body more. Great body punches thud, because the body cannot bounce back like the head can. A body punch needs power and leverage to be effective, whereas a haed shot (against a slick opponent) needs speed / acclleration.

4: Thudding punches really DO use up more energy than fast snappers. This has been proven many times in scientific tests. It's not a theory.

5: Very rarely, I actually know what I'm talking about. This is one of those times.
Very good post. Agree with every single point there.
dangerousity is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum