Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 11-17-2012, 05:05 AM   #31
Cableaddict
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: Ive been told most pro boxers dont snap there punches, WHY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tliang1000 View Post

If you have a heavybag at home. You can snap a punch and the bag will barely move. Why? should be obvious.
Yes, which is exactly why you typically load up on body shots. (As I wrote, earlier.)

- but a head is not a heavy bag. It's basically a speed bag. All you need is momentum.

Now granted, if you have your opponent in trouble, and there's no chance of a counter, and you just want to put him away, then sure load up and aim for 6" behind his head. - but only in that one scenario.

I can tell you've never been in the ring. Learning how to NOT constantly put everything behind every punch is one of the hardest things for beginning fighters to learn, and it's one of the standard lessons virtually every trainer has to teach.
Cableaddict is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2012, 05:15 AM   #32
dyna
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1551

Quote:
You can follow through but is extremely difficult. To snap a punch you have to anchor ur footing. Is hard to generate that snap while stepping into your opponent. Most boxers uses it on the defense as their opponents walk into to them.

Also for example and anyone can test this.

If you have a heavybag at home. You can snap a punch and the bag will barely move. Why? should be obvious.

Now put your weight into your punch and drive it through will send the heavy bag much further for obvious reasons.

Whenever i spar/box someone i like to snap my punches at them to make my opponents weary. They see the speed and is eye catching but when they get hit, it stings them and cause them to hesitate but in reality i've caused little damage.

Snapping shots are also harder to counter. Depending on what type of style you want to be will greatly impact how often you throw them.
Power itself is pretty useless, a freight train going 6 mph against your head will never knock you out...No matter how much power those engines deliver.

Somebody gets knocked out when their brain collides too hard with their skull, your brain starts sending out signals that it's enough and it's lights out.
This happens when your brains suddenly gets accelerated too much ( too strong g-forces).

Speed is essential for headshot knockouts.
George foreman didn't have much speed, and that is also the reason that most of his KOs are TKOs (Except the biggest bums which he did KO or Lyle in a slugfest), his (better) opponents "could just stand up again", yes they were dazed, yes they were hurt but he couldn't put somebody out the way Julian Jackson or Thomas Hearns could do.

Speed is less essential for bodyshots because your body can't bounce like your head does (not sure how to word this, English isn't native for me)
dyna is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2012, 06:01 AM   #33
madballster
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Punching power is overrated IMO. I rate accuracy and finding the 'sweet spot' at least as highly.
madballster is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2012, 06:32 AM   #34
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
@ dealt with.

First of all, boxers snaps their punches have NOTHING to do with conservating energy.
Punches with a snap are much much weaker shots then punches that follows through. A snap motion jerks the hand back and does not direct weight into ur opponent is not going to cause your opponent's head to explode. Like snapping a towel thats stings on contact. It is not intent to hurt but to distract. Hence the answer of the TS's question.

You obviously never box before.
I've already explained the mechanics, do you not know what a Stretch-shorten cycle is? If you're rotating into the punch properly you are directing weight into your opponent regardless if you push or snap at the end. If you snap a punch you need to time it better with the rest of your body than a pushing punch, and if you do you're going to be punching with more force thanks to the utilisation of elastic energy and the kinetic chain. From the sounds of it you only know how to arm punch and lean into punches. Snapping a towel is just using your arm.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2012, 06:35 AM   #35
SpeedKills
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

snap punches is more of a potshot tactic, "hit and get out"
SpeedKills is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2012, 06:41 AM   #36
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
You can follow through but is extremely difficult. To snap a punch you have to anchor ur footing. Is hard to generate that snap while stepping into your opponent. Most boxers uses it on the defense as their opponents walk into to them.

Also for example and anyone can test this.

Now put your weight into your punch and drive it through will send the heavy bag much further for obvious reasons.

Whenever i spar/box someone i like to snap my punches at them to make my opponents weary. They see the speed and is eye catching but when they get hit, it stings them and cause them to hesitate but in reality i've caused little damage.

Snapping shots are also harder to counter. Depending on what type of style you want to be will greatly impact how often you throw them.
The bag and how much it moves is no indication of force at impact, that's a measure of force over time (Impulse and momentum). If you're punching the bag with power at the proper range it should barely be moving at all. As I said before it sounds like you have a habit of leaning into punches, you should be rotating. Your snapping punches are arm punches obviously and not coordinated with the rest of your body. Very different from a snapping punch by a skilled practitioner. Look at McClellan for a good example of a guy who snaps his punches.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:44 AM   #37
SpeedKills
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
The bag and how much it moves is no indication of force at impact, that's a measure of force over time (Impulse and momentum). If you're punching the bag with power at the proper range it should barely be moving at all. As I said before it sounds like you have a habit of leaning into punches, you should be rotating. Your snapping punches are arm punches obviously and not coordinated with the rest of your body. Very different from a snapping punch by a skilled practitioner. Look at McClellan for a good example of a guy who snaps his punches.
?? mcclellan goes all the way through
an example of a snappy puncher is mayweather
pacquiao when he knocked down(first or second kd) marquez in the first fight, snappy punches, looked like he wanted to land a punch and get out of the way of any possible punches at the same time
Old 11-17-2012, 06:51 AM   #38
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedKills View Post
?? mcclellan goes all the way through
an example of a snappy puncher is mayweather
pacquiao when he knocked down marquez in the first fight, snappy punches
Yes he rotates all the way through, have a look at the way his arm snaps with his punches, there's no push. I think you and others have a bit of a misconception about what a snapping punch is. You know it's a snapping punch when the arm is still accelerating at the point of impact, a pushing punch isn't accelerating because the tendon isn't recoiling into the punch. A pushing punch is all muscle, a snapping punch is tendon. Tendons are responsible for power, muscles for force.
When you jump into the air you put a lot more force into the ground than if you're standing there lifting the heaviest weight on your back that you can.
You're applying far less force with your muscles during the jump but the resultant force into the ground is far higher due to the recoil of the tendon. It's the same principle with a snapping punch.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:04 AM   #39
BIGMANG

Wrong!!!
BIGMANG is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2012, 07:19 AM   #40
SpeedKills
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
Yes he rotates all the way through, have a look at the way his arm snaps with his punches, there's no push. I think you and others have a bit of a misconception about what a snapping punch is. You know it's a snapping punch when the arm is still accelerating at the point of impact, a pushing punch isn't accelerating because the tendon isn't recoiling into the punch. A pushing punch is all muscle, a snapping punch is tendon. Tendons are responsible for power, muscles for force.
When you jump into the air you put a lot more force into the ground than if you're standing there lifting the heaviest weight on your back that you can.
You're applying far less force with your muscles during the jump but the resultant force into the ground is far higher due to the recoil of the tendon. It's the same principle with a snapping punch.
the point of a "snapping" punch is to "snap" your arm back after solid impact
i dont see how it could be snapping if he's still going foward long after it's landed
was mosley's punch on floyd rd2 a "snapping" punch in your opinion?
as oppossed to say floyd's pull counter on mosley?

but i think i get what you mean, you mean the snap in the beggining of the punch, that "explosive", fast twitch muscle "snap"
but when most coaches talk about "snappy" punches they usually explain it on the heavybag, they want your hand to come back as soon as possible after impact, they want you to "snap" back
Old 11-17-2012, 08:00 AM   #41
OMGWTF
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedKills View Post
the point of a "snapping" punch is to "snap" your arm back after solid impact
i dont see how it could be snapping if he's still going foward long after it's landed
was mosley's punch on floyd rd2 a "snapping" punch in your opinion?
as oppossed to say floyd's pull counter on mosley?

but i think i get what you mean, you mean the snap in the beggining of the punch, that "explosive", fast twitch muscle "snap"
but when most coaches talk about "snappy" punches they usually explain it on the heavybag, they want your hand to come back as soon as possible after impact, they want you to "snap" back
The snap comes from the midsections stretch reflex. (A thudding punch dosnt get this speed boost)

Yes its natural for it to snap back and thats how it gets its name, but you can still drive it deep and with a long contact time if you choose, for say a body/liver shot.

I think this would make a more powerful body shot than a thudding punch to the body, because you are using both speed/power up untill impact time and then muscular force in addition to this when driving the punch for a longer contact time, so a "SNAPPY PUNCH" MAY WELL BE SUPERIOR AS A BODY SHOT ALSO!!!??

Last edited by OMGWTF; 11-17-2012 at 08:32 AM.
OMGWTF is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum