Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #91
WiDDoW_MaKeR
ESB Hall of Fame Member
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 18,629
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Lennox Lewis: "Vitali paid off Kirk Johnson to cancel the fight with me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishny View Post
The WBO belt?????
Are you kidding me???

Yeah you're right Lewis should have manned up and fought Herbie Hide...Its the fight the world wanted to see!

Wlad has fought some downright AWFUL competition as champion.
Lewis fought (at worst)good fighters.

Some of whom are still hanging around the heavyweight scene,its so weak!

Holyfield
Tua
Grant
Botha
Rahman(x2)
Tyson(even the old version still massacres the likes of Mormeck and Castillo)
Vitali.

Whereas Wlad has fought the likes of
Old Rahman
Castillo
Mormeck.

Its not all his fault, its just the modern division is brutal.

Its why guys like Grant, Botha, Rahman,Briggs can still compete near world class level right up until their late 30s,early 40s. Even Ray Austin was getting near world titles in his late 30s and he was NEVER anything special. When Tua came back and hammered Cameron,we had people on this site wanting him to get in with the Klitschkos.

These guys were getting beaten by Lewis,when they were prime.
Alright... let me clean up this mess.

No, Lewis should have fought Wlad who beat Byrd for the WBO title in 2000... and at that point was ranked as Lennox Lewis' #1 challenger by Ring Magazine for well over 2 years before he was upset by Corrie Sanders. That WAS the fight that all of the fans, as well as HBO wanted to see at the time.

Herbie Hide? Do you even watch boxing? Hide wasn't even WBO champ after Lewis beat Holyfield. Hide lost his WBO title to Vitali before Lennox beat Holyfield.

You pick out Wlad's fight with Castillo? You realize that wasn't a title fight, correct? That was actually one of Wlad's comeback fights after he lost to Brewster. Castillo was an undefeated fighter who had just impressively dominated Moorer on national TV, which is why he was chosen. You are going to jump on Wlad for fighting a comeback fight against Castillo?

You might want to check out Lewis' comeback fights after he was knocked out by McCall. His next 2 fights were against Lionel Butler with an amazing record of 22-10-1 (which amazing at that time was a WBC eliminator) I guess that shows the grea talent of that time which you speak of..... and after fighting the that monster, Lewis went on to face the ATG ****** Fortune who's magnificent career finished with an almost unblemished record of 15-9. Although, I can see why Lewis fought him... Fortune did peak the boxing world's interest with his 2nd round knockout loss against the World Class 3-2 Patrick Smith the year before Lewis fought him.

Lewis beat an old Holyfield... yeah... the same Holyfield who months after his loss against Lewis started and ended up on the worse end of a trilogy against John Ruiz. John Ruiz actually beat Holyfield more impressively than Lewis did... Byrd beat Holyfield better as well.

So... you say that Holyfield went on and still competes at a world class level so long after that fight? Let's take a look. Well... I guess if you considering getting 8 wins in his last 17 fights as being world class.. then you have a point. I want to point out that just because Holyfield, Botha, and Grant still fight each other... doesn't mean that they still compete at the World Class level. Holyfield hasn't beat an opponent who was considerd world class in over a decade... and that was Hasim Rahman when the fight ended due to Rahman's nasty hematoma from a headbutt.

Grant went on to become one of the biggest jokes in boxing history. In his next fight after Lewis, he was stopped from the very first punch of the fight against McCline. Who Wlad dominated soon after. Grant still competes at a world class level? Grant wasn't even world class back then, let alone now. He was nothing more than media hype on his size.... which turned out to be a joke. All you have to do is watch his fights with Lewis, McCline and Guinn to see that. So what if guys like him stick around beating on club fighters for years... what does that prove? Wlad also knocked Botha out years ago too... wasn't a great win for Wlad either... just as it wasn't a great win for Lewis.

Let's just look at Lewis' GREAT title reign after he became the true champ when he beat Holyfield...

W Grant - 31-0 - already discussed that... can't fault Lewis for fighting Grant though, as it was a fight that HBO was pushing. In hindsight, we saw how horrible Grant was.
W Frans Botha - had just recently been knocked out by Tyson. I have no idea how or why Botha got this title shot.
W David Tua - 37-1 -very good win for Lewis, although Lewis was smashed by critics just as Wlad was against Ibragimov for fighting too defensive and putting on a boring show. I thought it was a very good win though.
L Hasim Rahman - 34-2 - Lewis is knocked out by Hasim. Rahman was a solid opponent. He had been knocked out by Maskaev and Tua already, but he was a solid opponent.
W Hasim Rahman - 35-2 - Lewis gets revenge for his knockout loss with a great knockout win of his own.
W Mike Tyson - 49-3 -A shell of Mike Tyson is more like it.. the fight means nothing. If you rate this fight as a big win, then you must rate Holmes win over Ali as a big win. Tyson went on to get knocked out in 4 rounds against Danny Williams.
W Vitali Klitschko -32-1 - Great name to have on his resume... but we all know that Lewis was losing the fight, down on all cards when the fight was stopped because of a cut. A win, yes... but Lewis certainly didn't prove to be the better man in the ring and this fight ultimately forced him into retirement.

During this short reign, Lewis also managed to Vacate his WBA title to avoid his #1 challenger Ruiz, vacated his IBF title to avoid his #1 challenger Byrd, and ultimately vacated his WBC title to avoid a mandated match against Klitschko.

Lennox Lewis' record during his title reign - 6-1

Let's take a look at Wlad's wins since he became the true Champ after beating Chris Byrd, who was the longest standing Champ and the #1 ranked heavyweight in the world by Ring Magazine... also consider that Wlad had just previously beaten the 24-0 Sam Peter (who went on to win the WBC title) to even get the title shot against Byrd.

W Calvin Brock - 29-0 - High ranked contender who had just put together some impressive vicotories to earn this title fight.

W Ray Austin - 24-3-4 - #1 ranked mandatory challenger. Not a fight that all fans were too excited about. A brutal knockout win though, and definitely no worse than wins over Grant or Botha.

W Lamon Brewster - 33-3 - Wladimir's revenge fight. Dominant victory to avenge an earlier defeat in his career.

W Sultan Ibragimov - 22-0-1 - Undefeated WBO Champ in a unification fight. Wlad was hit by critics like Lewis was against Tua, as I mentioned. I felt that they were both very good wins, even though they were both boring fights to watch.

W Tony Thompson - 31-1 - #1 ranked Mandatory Challenger - Not a big exciting matchup for the fans either, however a fun fact to know is Wladimir Klitschko is the only person to beat Tony Thompson in over 12 years.

W Hasim Rahman - 45-6-2 - A late replacement for the undefeated Povetkin who pulled out of his fight against Wlad on short notice before their scheduled fight. This also counted as a mandatory defense since Rahman was the next highest rated fighter available.

W Ruslan Chagaev - 25-0-1 - Undefeated WBA Champion. Should have been a unification fight, but of course the WBA is probably the most crooked of all of the crooked orgs. Also, a replacement for David Haye who pulled out of his scheduled fight against Wlad.

W Eddie Chambers - 35-1 - very good win against a top ranked opponent. Chambers only loss had come in a controversial decision against Povetkin. Although, I felt Povetkin did win.

W Sam Peter - 34-3 - Top ranked opponent... a knockout win this time around in a rematch against Sam Peter who Wlad had already previously beat.

W David Haye - 25-1 - WBA Champion, Unification fight - A huge showdown that the entire boxing world was waiting for. Wlad won once again in dominant fashion as David Haye ran for his life throughout the fight after tasting Wlad's power.

W Jean Marc Mormeck - 36-4 - Easy knockout victory for Wlad. Not a favorite fight of mine for him to take... but once again... trying to stay active he can only fight who will fight him, and they can't all be undefeated or Champs. Mormeck was a longtime Cruiser champ though and no worse than a win over Frans Botha, that's for sure.

W Tony Thomspson - 36-2 - Another mandatory defense against his #1 rated Challenger Thompson who once against fought his way back into mandatory status.

W Mariusz Wach - 27-0 - Not an extremely well known fighter. However, it was an interesting matchup due to the size of Wach, and the fact that people say Wlad wins on his size. Wach proved to have a great chin, and withstood an brutal beating.

Throughout Wlad's reign as Champ, he has not been defeated and has dominated every single opponent. He also made all of his mandatory defenses against #1 contenders and did not vacate as single title to avoid any mandatory defenses.


Wladimir Klitschko's record during his title Reign - 13-0

Last edited by WiDDoW_MaKeR; 11-17-2012 at 01:25 PM.
WiDDoW_MaKeR is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2012, 01:08 PM   #92
Siney
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 329
vCash: 75
Default Re: Lennox Lewis: "Vitali paid off Kirk Johnson to cancel the fight with me"

"at my worst, i beat vitali at his best"

that sums up the lewis/vitali fight for me in a nutshell, all the klit fan boys can argue until they are blue in the face but thats a fact.
Siney is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:11 PM   #93
psyenz
newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 33
vCash: 75
Default Re: Lennox Lewis: "Vitali paid off Kirk Johnson to cancel the fight with me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiDDoW_MaKeR View Post
Lewis will never get over being chased out of the sport by Vitali. Kind of fitting that his name was "The Lion"... because he cowered away like an old, weak lion when a tougher, more aggressive lion entered into his territory.
I take it that by 'cowered away' you mean 'beat up within 6 rounds' yeah? Because that is what actually happened. You should google it, I think its been documented a few places.
psyenz is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:16 PM   #94
WiDDoW_MaKeR
ESB Hall of Fame Member
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 18,629
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Lennox Lewis: "Vitali paid off Kirk Johnson to cancel the fight with me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siney View Post
"at my worst, i beat vitali at his best"

that sums up the lewis/vitali fight for me in a nutshell, all the klit fan boys can argue until they are blue in the face but thats a fact.
That's funny, because by Lewis and Steward's account before he fought Vitali, Lennox was in great shape, and had an AMAZING camp, which is why they didn't want to waste it when Kirk Johnson pulled out. Lewis was "like a fine wine, I get better with age"... remember? It's easy for Lewis to make excuses now though. After all... Lewis did look to be at his worst... that's because he was fighting against Vitali Klitschko who made him look that way. Had Lewis fought Johnson that night as planned, nobody would be talking about how bad Lewis looked that night.

If Lewis was in such horrible shape, and so old and over the hill all of the sudden... he certainly wouldn't have made it past the second round thrashing that Vitali gave him. He DEFINITELY would not have came back stronger afterward to make it a more interesting fight. It makes no sense. It was Lewis' great conditioning that allowed him to recover from being hurt and battered. Although, Lewis was clearly about finished as he slumped in his stool after the 6th round, almost falling off of it. Once again, due to the grueling fight, not age and conditioning. Lewis was used to fighting at his own, slow pace in which he controlled the action and the range. This fight was different.

Beyond that, Vitali Klitschko was green in big fights at that time. Any age that Lewis had was completely made up for by Lewis' experience in bigger fights against the green Vitali. Vitali was also only training for a 10 round fight against Boswell, while Lewis was training for a 12 round fight against Johnson who was a relatively high ranked contender. If anyone was underprepared for that fight, it was Vitali... who had no real big fight experience and was thrust into a main event against the Champion on short notice. An experienced Champ like Lennox should have no problems ad******g as he had his experience to fall back on. Just as Lewis HIMSELF said before they fought.

Once again, that is not a fact... that is an obviously biased quote from Lewis.
WiDDoW_MaKeR is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:19 PM   #95
BadDog
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 673
vCash: 500
Default Re: Lennox Lewis: "Vitali paid off Kirk Johnson to cancel the fight with me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiDDoW_MaKeR View Post
Alright... let me clean up this mess.

No, Lewis should have fought Wlad who beat Byrd for the WBO title in 2000... and at that point was ranked as Lennox Lewis' #1 challenger by Ring Magazine for well over 2 years before he was upset by Corrie Sanders. That WAS the fight that all of the fans, as well as HBO wanted to see at the time.

Herbie Hide? Do you even watch boxing? Hide wasn't even WBO champ after Lewis beat Holyfield. Hide lost his WBO title to Vitali before Lennox beat Holyfield.

You pick out Wlad's fight with Castillo? You realize that wasn't a title fight, correct? That was actually one of Wlad's comeback fights after he lost to Brewster. Castillo was an undefeated fighter who had just impressively dominated Moorer on national TV, which is why he was chosen. You are going to jump on Wlad for fighting a comeback fight against Castillo?

You might want to check out Lewis' comeback fights after he was knocked out by McCall. His next 2 fights were against Lionel Butler with an amazing record of 22-10-1 (which amazing at that time was a WBC eliminator) I guess that shows the grea talent of that time which you speak of..... and after fighting the that monster, Lewis went on to face the ATG ****** Fortune who's magnificent career finished with an almost unblemished record of 15-9. Although, I can see why Lewis fought him... Fortune did peak the boxing world's interest with his 2nd round knockout loss against the World Class 3-2 Patrick Smith the year before Lewis fought him.

Lewis beat an old Holyfield... yeah... the same Holyfield who months after his loss against Lewis started and ended up on the worse end of a trilogy against John Ruiz. John Ruiz actually beat Holyfield more impressively than Lewis did... Byrd beat Holyfield better as well.

So... you say that Holyfield went on and still competes at a world class level so long after that fight? Let's take a look. Well... I guess if you considering getting 8 wins in his last 17 fights as being world class.. then you have a point. I want to point out that just because Holyfield, Botha, and Grant still fight each other... doesn't mean that they still compete at the World Class level. Holyfield hasn't beat an opponent who was considerd world class in over a decade... and that was Hasim Rahman when the fight ended due to Rahman's nasty hematoma from a headbutt.

Grant went on to become one of the biggest jokes in boxing history. In his next fight after Lewis, he was stopped from the very first punch of the fight against McCline. Who Wlad dominated soon after. Grant still competes at a world class level? Grant wasn't even world class back then, let alone now. He was nothing more than media hype on his size.... which turned out to be a joke. All you have to do is watch his fights with Lewis, McCline and Guinn to see that. So what if guys like him stick around beating on club fighters for years... what does that prove? Wlad also knocked Botha out years ago too... wasn't a great win for Wlad either... just as it wasn't a great win for Lewis.

Let's just look at Lewis' GREAT title reign after he became the true champ when he beat Holyfield...

W Grant - 31-0 - already discussed that... can't fault Lewis for fighting Grant though, as it was a fight that HBO was pushing. In hindsight, we saw how horrible Grant was.
W Frans Botha - had just recently been knocked out by Tyson. I have no idea how or why Botha got this title shot.
W David Tua - very good win for Lewis, although Lewis was smashed by critics just as Wlad was against Ibragimov for fighting too defensive and putting on a boring show. I thought it was a very good win though.
L Hasim Rahman - Lewis is knocked out by Hasim. Rahman was a solid opponent. He had been knocked out by Maskaev and Tua already, but he was a solid opponent.
W Hasim Rahman - Lewis gets revenge for his knockout loss with a great knockout win of his own.
W Mike Tyson - A shell of Mike Tyson is more like it.. the fight means nothing. If you rate this fight as a big win, then you must rate Holmes win over Ali as a big win.
W Vitali Klitschko - Great name to have on his resume... but we all know that Lewis was losing the fight, down on all cards when the fight was stopped because of a cut. A win, yes... but Lewis certainly didn't prove to be the better man in the ring and this fight ultimately forced him into retirement.

During this short reign, Lewis also managed to Vacate his WBA title to avoid his #1 challenger Ruiz, vacated his IBF title to avoid his #1 challenger Byrd, and ultimately vacated his WBC title to avoid a mandated match against Klitschko.

Lennox Lewis' record during his title reign - 6-1

Let's take a look at Wlad's wins since he became the true Champ after beating Chris Byrd, who was the longest standing Champ and the #1 ranked heavyweight in the world by Ring Magazine... also consider that Wlad had just previously beaten the 24-0 Sam Peter (who went on to win the WBC title) to even get the title shot against Byrd.

W Calvin Brock - 29-0 - High ranked contender who had just put together some impressive vicotories to earn this title fight.

W Ray Austin - 24-3-4 - #1 ranked mandatory challenger. Not a fight that all fans were too excited about. A brutal knockout win though, and definitely no worse than wins over Grant or Botha.

W Lamon Brewster - 33-3 - Wladimir's revenge fight. Dominant victory to avenge an earlier defeat in his career.

W Sultan Ibragimov - 22-0-1 - Undefeated WBO Champ in a unification fight. Wlad was hit by critics like Lewis was against Tua, as I mentioned. I felt that they were both very good wins, even though they were both boring fights to watch.

W Tony Thompson - 31-1 - #1 ranked Mandatory Challenger - Not a big exciting matchup for the fans either, however a fun fact to know is Wladimir Klitschko is the only person to beat Tony Thompson in over 12 years.

W Hasim Rahman - 45-6-2 - A late replacement for the undefeated Povetkin who pulled out of his fight against Wlad on short notice before their scheduled fight. This also counted as a mandatory defense since Rahman was the next highest rated fighter available.

W Ruslan Chagaev - 25-0-1 - Undefeated WBA Champion. Should have been a unification fight, but of course the WBA is probably the most crooked of all of the crooked orgs. Also, a replacement for David Haye who pulled out of his scheduled fight against Wlad.

W Eddie Chambers - 35-1 - very good win against a top ranked opponent. Chambers only loss had come in a controversial decision against Povetkin. Although, I felt Povetkin did win.

W Sam Peter - 34-3 - Top ranked opponent... a knockout win this time around in a rematch against Sam Peter who Wlad had already previously beat.

W David Haye - 25-1 - WBA Champion, Unification fight - A huge showdown that the entire boxing world was waiting for. Wlad won once again in dominant fashion as David Haye ran for his life throughout the fight after tasting Wlad's power.

W Jean Marc Mormeck - 36-4 - Easy knockout victory for Wlad. Not a favorite fight of mine for him to take... but once again... trying to stay active he can only fight who will fight him, and they can't all be undefeated or Champs. Mormeck was a longtime Cruiser champ though and no worse than a win over Frans Botha, that's for sure.

W Tony Thomspson - 36-2 - Another mandatory defense against his #1 rated Challenger Thompson who once against fought his way back into mandatory status.

W Mariusz Wach - 27-0 - Not an extremely well known fighter. However, it was an interesting matchup due to the size of Wach, and the fact that people say Wlad wins on his size. Wach proved to have a great chin, and withstood an brutal beating.

Throughout Wlad's reign as Champ, he has not been defeated and has dominated every single opponent. He also made all of his mandatory defenses against #1 contenders and did not vacate as single title to avoid any mandatory defenses.


Wladimir Klitschko's record during his title Reign - 13-0
great post, now I can see how much better Wladimir's record is. I think historically Wladimir is going to be rated much higher then Lewis. Lewis' best win is against the weaker Klitschko brother, and still Lewis went life and death against him and won by luck and retired at pretty young age to save his legacy. Not to mention, Lewis never fought a southpaw in his life.
BadDog is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:27 PM   #96
madballster
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10,276
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Lennox Lewis: "Vitali paid off Kirk Johnson to cancel the fight with me"

Great post, WiDDoW_MaKeR. Appreciate it.
madballster is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:32 PM   #97
larsker
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 899
vCash: 75
Default Re: Lennox Lewis: "Vitali paid off Kirk Johnson to cancel the fight with me"

Douglass fisher favours Wlad against Lennox.
larsker is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:34 PM   #98
MrMagic
Super Six
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Sweden
Posts: 19,446
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Lennox Lewis: "Vitali paid off Kirk Johnson to cancel the fight with me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiDDoW_MaKeR View Post
That's funny, because by Lewis and Steward's account before he fought Vitali, Lennox was in great shape, and had an AMAZING camp, which is why they didn't want to waste it when Kirk Johnson pulled out. Lewis was "like a fine wine, I get better with age"... remember? It's easy for Lewis to make excuses now though. After all... Lewis did look to be at his worst... that's because he was fighting against Vitali Klitschko who made him look that way. Had Lewis fought Johnson that night as planned, nobody would be talking about how bad Lewis looked that night.

If Lewis was in such horrible shape, and so old and over the hill all of the sudden... he certainly wouldn't have made it past the second round thrashing that Vitali gave him. He DEFINITELY would not have came back stronger afterward to make it a more interesting fight. It makes no sense. It was Lewis' great conditioning that allowed him to recover from being hurt and battered. Although, Lewis was clearly about finished as he slumped in his stool after the 6th round, almost falling off of it. Once again, due to the grueling fight, not age and conditioning. Lewis was used to fighting at his own, slow pace in which he controlled the action and the range. This fight was different.

Beyond that, Vitali Klitschko was green in big fights at that time. Any age that Lewis had was completely made up for by Lewis' experience in bigger fights against the green Vitali. Vitali was also only training for a 10 round fight against Boswell, while Lewis was training for a 12 round fight against Johnson who was a relatively high ranked contender. If anyone was underprepared for that fight, it was Vitali... who had no real big fight experience and was thrust into a main event against the Champion on short notice. An experienced Champ like Lennox should have no problems ad******g as he had his experience to fall back on. Just as Lewis HIMSELF said before they fought.

Once again, that is not a fact... that is an obviously biased quote from Lewis.
Even looking his worst, he obviously won the fight.
MrMagic is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #99
WiDDoW_MaKeR
ESB Hall of Fame Member
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 18,629
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Lennox Lewis: "Vitali paid off Kirk Johnson to cancel the fight with me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by madballster View Post
Great post, WiDDoW_MaKeR. Appreciate it.
Thank you.
WiDDoW_MaKeR is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:45 PM   #100
Cael
Claudia Cardinale
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ballz Deep
Posts: 1,694
vCash: 811
Default Re: Lennox Lewis: "Vitali paid off Kirk Johnson to cancel the fight with me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siney View Post
"at my worst, i beat vitali at his best"

that sums up the lewis/vitali fight for me in a nutshell, all the klit fan boys can argue until they are blue in the face but thats a fact.

Cael is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:45 PM   #101
irishny
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,567
vCash: 75
Default Re: Lennox Lewis: "Vitali paid off Kirk Johnson to cancel the fight with me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiDDoW_MaKeR View Post
Alright... let me clean up this mess.

No, Lewis should have fought Wlad who beat Byrd for the WBO title in 2000... and at that point was ranked as Lennox Lewis' #1 challenger by Ring Magazine for well over 2 years before he was upset by Corrie Sanders. That WAS the fight that all of the fans, as well as HBO wanted to see at the time.

Herbie Hide? Do you even watch boxing? Hide wasn't even WBO champ after Lewis beat Holyfield. Hide lost his WBO title to Vitali before Lennox beat Holyfield.

You pick out Wlad's fight with Castillo? You realize that wasn't a title fight, correct? That was actually one of Wlad's comeback fights after he lost to Brewster. Castillo was an undefeated fighter who had just impressively dominated Moorer on national TV, which is why he was chosen. You are going to jump on Wlad for fighting a comeback fight against Castillo?

You might want to check out Lewis' comeback fights after he was knocked out by McCall. His next 2 fights were against Lionel Butler with an amazing record of 22-10-1 (which amazing at that time was a WBC eliminator) I guess that shows the grea talent of that time which you speak of..... and after fighting the that monster, Lewis went on to face the ATG ****** Fortune who's magnificent career finished with an almost unblemished record of 15-9. Although, I can see why Lewis fought him... Fortune did peak the boxing world's interest with his 2nd round knockout loss against the World Class 3-2 Patrick Smith the year before Lewis fought him.

Lewis beat an old Holyfield... yeah... the same Holyfield who months after his loss against Lewis started and ended up on the worse end of a trilogy against John Ruiz. John Ruiz actually beat Holyfield more impressively than Lewis did... Byrd beat Holyfield better as well.

So... you say that Holyfield went on and still competes at a world class level so long after that fight? Let's take a look. Well... I guess if you considering getting 8 wins in his last 17 fights as being world class.. then you have a point. I want to point out that just because Holyfield, Botha, and Grant still fight each other... doesn't mean that they still compete at the World Class level. Holyfield hasn't beat an opponent who was considerd world class in over a decade... and that was Hasim Rahman when the fight ended due to Rahman's nasty hematoma from a headbutt.

Grant went on to become one of the biggest jokes in boxing history. In his next fight after Lewis, he was stopped from the very first punch of the fight against McCline. Who Wlad dominated soon after. Grant still competes at a world class level? Grant wasn't even world class back then, let alone now. He was nothing more than media hype on his size.... which turned out to be a joke. All you have to do is watch his fights with Lewis, McCline and Guinn to see that. So what if guys like him stick around beating on club fighters for years... what does that prove? Wlad also knocked Botha out years ago too... wasn't a great win for Wlad either... just as it wasn't a great win for Lewis.


W Grant - 31-0 - already discussed that... can't fault Lewis for fighting Grant though, as it was a fight that HBO was pushing. In hindsight, we saw how horrible Grant was.
W Frans Botha - had just recently been knocked out by Tyson. I have no idea how or why Botha got this title shot.
W David Tua - 37-1 -very good win for Lewis, although Lewis was smashed by critics just as Wlad was against Ibragimov for fighting too defensive and putting on a boring show. I thought it was a very good win though.
L Hasim Rahman - 34-2 - Lewis is knocked out by Hasim. Rahman was a solid opponent. He had been knocked out by Maskaev and Tua already, but he was a solid opponent.
W Hasim Rahman - 35-2 - Lewis gets revenge for his knockout loss with a great knockout win of his own.
W Mike Tyson - 49-3 -A shell of Mike Tyson is more like it.. the fight means nothing. If you rate this fight as a big win, then you must rate Holmes win over Ali as a big win. Tyson went on to get knocked out in 4 rounds against Danny Williams.
W Vitali Klitschko -32-1 - Great name to have on his resume... but we all know that Lewis was losing the fight, down on all cards when the fight was stopped because of a cut. A win, yes... but Lewis certainly didn't prove to be the better man in the ring and this fight ultimately forced him into retirement.

During this short reign, Lewis also managed to Vacate his WBA title to avoid his #1 challenger Ruiz, vacated his IBF title to avoid his #1 challenger Byrd, and ultimately vacated his WBC title to avoid a mandated match against Klitschko.

Let's take a look at Wlad's wins since he became the true Champ after beating Chris Byrd, who was the longest standing Champ and the #1 ranked heavyweight in the world by Ring Magazine... also consider that Wlad had just previously beaten the 24-0 Sam Peter (who went on to win the WBC title) to even get the title shot against Byrd.

W Calvin Brock - 29-0 - High ranked contender who had just put together some impressive vicotories to earn this title fight.

W Ray Austin - 24-3-4 - #1 ranked mandatory challenger. Not a fight that all fans were too excited about. A brutal knockout win though, and definitely no worse than wins over Grant or Botha.

W Lamon Brewster - 33-3 - Wladimir's revenge fight. Dominant victory to avenge an earlier defeat in his career.

W Sultan Ibragimov - 22-0-1 - Undefeated WBO Champ in a unification fight. Wlad was hit by critics like Lewis was against Tua, as I mentioned. I felt that they were both very good wins, even though they were both boring fights to watch.

W Tony Thompson - 31-1 - #1 ranked Mandatory Challenger - Not a big exciting matchup for the fans either, however a fun fact to know is Wladimir Klitschko is the only person to beat Tony Thompson in over 12 years.

W Hasim Rahman - 45-6-2 - A late replacement for the undefeated Povetkin who pulled out of his fight against Wlad on short notice before their scheduled fight. This also counted as a mandatory defense since Rahman was the next highest rated fighter available.

W Ruslan Chagaev - 25-0-1 - Undefeated WBA Champion. Should have been a unification fight, but of course the WBA is probably the most crooked of all of the crooked orgs. Also, a replacement for David Haye who pulled out of his scheduled fight against Wlad.

W Eddie Chambers - 35-1 - very good win against a top ranked opponent. Chambers only loss had come in a controversial decision against Povetkin. Although, I felt Povetkin did win.

W Sam Peter - 34-3 - Top ranked opponent... a knockout win this time around in a rematch against Sam Peter who Wlad had already previously beat.

W David Haye - 25-1 - WBA Champion, Unification fight - A huge showdown that the entire boxing world was waiting for. Wlad won once again in dominant fashion as David Haye ran for his life throughout the fight after tasting Wlad's power.

W Jean Marc Mormeck - 36-4 - Easy knockout victory for Wlad. Not a favorite fight of mine for him to take... but once again... trying to stay active he can only fight who will fight him, and they can't all be undefeated or Champs. Mormeck was a longtime Cruiser champ though and no worse than a win over Frans Botha, that's for sure.

W Tony Thomspson - 36-2 - Another mandatory defense against his #1 rated Challenger Thompson who once against fought his way back into mandatory status.

W Mariusz Wach - 27-0 - Not an extremely well known fighter. However, it was an interesting matchup due to the size of Wach, and the fact that people say Wlad wins on his size. Wach proved to have a great chin, and withstood an brutal beating.

Throughout Wlad's reign as Champ, he has not been defeated and has dominated every single opponent. He also made all of his mandatory defenses against #1 contenders and did not vacate as single title to avoid any mandatory defenses.


Wladimir Klitschko's record during his title Reign - 13-0
I love the way you play up the intense mediocrity of Wlads opponents,with crap like "top ranked"

Are you SHITTING ME about Botha and Mormeck??

It wouldnt shock me if Botha beat Mormeck NOW, let alone back when Botha was actually prime!

Mormeck at his best was a good Cruiser.

Past prime Tyson beats

Mormeck
Austin
Thompson
Wach
and maybe others.

Yet you denigrate Lewis for fighting him when he was still more dangerous than a good chunk of Wlads opponents!

If Grant fought Wach NOW,id give him a good chance. Let alone a prime Grant. Prime Grant beat a good version of Golota.

Thompson didnt get beaten in 12 years? WOW, who beside Wlad has he fought??? Chazz Witherspoon? Maurice Harris??

If Rankings mean so much to you, then Holyfield beat Oquendo in 2007,when Oquendo was highly ranked.

In the same year, he got Maddalone out in 3 rounds,when some of the supposed best young guns Like Boytov(UD) and Fury cant do that now.

And Holyfield was shot to shit by that stage. In fact he was shot to shit by around 2002 Id say.

The modern heavyweight division is AWFUL!!!

You have maybe 4 good fighters, and the rest are shociking and just would not have been able to compete in Lewis's time.

Also,for the last time IT DOESNT MATTER THAT VITALI WAS AHEAD ON POINTS WHEN HE GOT STOPPED!!!!!!!
Thats boxing!
irishny is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:55 PM   #102
WiDDoW_MaKeR
ESB Hall of Fame Member
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 18,629
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Lennox Lewis: "Vitali paid off Kirk Johnson to cancel the fight with me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishny View Post
I love the way you play up the intense mediocrity of Wlads opponents,with crap like "top ranked"

Are you SHITTING ME about Botha and Mormeck??

It wouldnt shock me if Botha beat Mormeck NOW, let alone back when Botha was actually prime!

Mormeck at his best was a good Cruiser.

Past prime Tyson beats

Mormeck
Austin
Thompson
Wach
and maybe others.

Yet you denigrate Lewis for fighting him when he was still more dangerous than a good chunk of Wlads opponents!

If Grant fought Wach NOW,id give him a good chance. Let alone a prime Grant. Prime Grant beat a good version of Golota.

Thompson didnt get beaten in 12 years? WOW, who beside Wlad has he fought??? Chazz Witherspoon? Maurice Harris??

If Rankings mean so much to you, then Holyfield beat Oquendo in 2007,when Oquendo was highly ranked.

In the same year, he got Maddalone out in 3 rounds,when some of the supposed best young guns Like Boytov(UD) and Fury cant do that now.

And Holyfield was shot to shit by that stage. In fact he was shot to shit by around 2002 Id say.

The modern heavyweight division is AWFUL!!!

You have maybe 4 good fighters, and the rest are shociking and just would not have been able to compete in Lewis's time.

Also,for the last time IT DOESNT MATTER THAT VITALI WAS AHEAD ON POINTS WHEN HE GOT STOPPED!!!!!!!
Thats boxing!
Trust me... I knew that my post wouldn't spark an intelligent conversation with you. Your understanding of boxing is much like my 8 year olds understanding of molecular genetics. A debate with you is about as exciting and thought provoking as a good argument with my kitchen table.

I posted this for my own enjoyment, as well as for the other posters who can appreciate it's content. It will be my last response to you, as I simply can't waste anymore time on a poster like yourself.
WiDDoW_MaKeR is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:55 PM   #103
KidDynamite
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,318
vCash: 500
Default Re: Lennox Lewis: "Vitali paid off Kirk Johnson to cancel the fight with me"

tko6
KidDynamite is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:03 PM   #104
WiDDoW_MaKeR
ESB Hall of Fame Member
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 18,629
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Lennox Lewis: "Vitali paid off Kirk Johnson to cancel the fight with me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidDynamite View Post
That faggot will list Botha yet is one of the retards on this forum to say Tyson never fought anyone when Tyson brutally KOed Botha as his comeback fight from a year and a half hiatus.
Who will list Botha? If you are referring to me... I clearly stated that Wlad beating Botha was not a big win for him, just as it wasn't a big win for Lewis. I listed Botha as one of Lewis' title defenses... because he was one of Lewis' title defenses. You might want to read before you post.

Besides that... I am a HUGE Tyson fan. Mike Tyson and Sugar Ray Leonard are the reason that I even started watching boxing. It killed me as a kid when I watched Douglas knock him out. I didn't want to believe it. I remember trying to explain to my parents that night about how the ref counted too long for Douglas when Tyson knocked him down.

I would hope that you are referring to somebody else... but you seem like the kind of guy who sort of trolls without actually paying attention to facts or detail, so I figured I would go ahead and stomp it out now.
WiDDoW_MaKeR is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:19 PM   #105
KidDynamite
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,318
vCash: 500
Default Re: Lennox Lewis: "Vitali paid off Kirk Johnson to cancel the fight with me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiDDoW_MaKeR View Post
Who will list Botha? If you are referring to me... I clearly stated that Wlad beating Botha was not a big win for him, just as it wasn't a big win for Lewis. I listed Botha as one of Lewis' title defenses... because he was one of Lewis' title defenses. You might want to read before you post.

Besides that... I am a HUGE Tyson fan. Mike Tyson and Sugar Ray Leonard are the reason that I even started watching boxing. It killed me as a kid when I watched Douglas knock him out. I didn't want to believe it. I remember trying to explain to my parents that night about how the ref counted too long for Douglas when Tyson knocked him down.

I would hope that you are referring to somebody else... but you seem like the kind of guy who sort of trolls without actually paying attention to facts or detail, so I figured I would go ahead and stomp it out now.
lol I got ahead of myself

I'll save it with this

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]


[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
KidDynamite is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013